Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

Brush problem

Okay I'm using a good quality Purdy natural bristle brush with oil based paint,after I paint for a bit the bristles seperate into little clumps at the end with a gap in the middle of the end of the brush.Is the paint drying to fast on the brush?Do I need to go and clean it and come back to the job?I have alaways read that before painting you should start by conditioning the brush in what ever you use to clean it up.So in this case it's solvent/paint thinner.I take the brush at the begining of the job place it in the solvent swish it around a bit and then use a spinner and spin out the solvent and get to painting.Am I doing it wrong?How much solvent should be in the bristles when you go to paint?
Thanks in advance
scarrylarry

scarrylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
DIY staff

Brush problem

Your brush is getting stuck together with paint--loosen it up with some thinner as you work.

A few years back the paint companies had to change to different solvents--Made the oil based paints more difficult to use---In the old days you could paint for hours without the brushes gumming up.

Not any more--usually all you need to do is dip the brush in the thinner a couple of times and wipe it off on the edge of the can--No need to clean the brush--just thin out the thickened paint in the bristles--and wipe out the excess.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

Brush problem

Try a little thinner in your paint as well. A little goes a long way.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #4

Brush problem

Thanks Fellas.I have tried the dipping the brush in thinner and bit is working at keeping the guming at bay.also put a little thinner in my cut in bucket as well.Trying to remember to always keep a wet edge to reduce brush strokes.Good painting is a real trade for sure.Kripes I have seen some paint jobs where it looked like it was applied with a corn broom.
scarrylarry
scarrylarry is offline   Reply With Quote