Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Do, undo, then do right

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Brick wall needs repainting

In the rear of my house there's an exposed brick wall, part chimney, that is in rough shape. It's not a lot of area, but goes up 2 stories. The paint is 80% peeled, cracked, and buckled, and most will come off easily. The rest will be pretty well stuck. The brick is rough, "used" brick from the 20's, so the remaining paint chunks can be excused. They have effloresced a lot, and will continue to, I guess. I have a pressure washer, but the big issue is LEAD PAINT. I don't want to become a Superfund Cleanup site.
Qs:
1: Getting the paint and powder off
2: Prepping the brick
3: What paint to use

BilHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #2

Lead paint? Hire a pro with experience in lead paint removal. The 80% that is missing from the brick went somewhere -- my guess is that the ground around that chimney has a pretty high lead content at this point. Scraping, sanding, or even power washing is going to distribute the remaining lead paint around your property. A professional will be able to contain it and remove it properly.

StevePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Paint/Faux Artisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilHam View Post
In the rear of my house there's an exposed brick wall, part chimney, that is in rough shape. It's not a lot of area, but goes up 2 stories. The paint is 80% peeled, cracked, and buckled, and most will come off easily. The rest will be pretty well stuck. The brick is rough, "used" brick from the 20's, so the remaining paint chunks can be excused. They have effloresced a lot, and will continue to, I guess. I have a pressure washer, but the big issue is LEAD PAINT. I don't want to become a Superfund Cleanup site.
Qs:
1: Getting the paint and powder off
2: Prepping the brick
3: What paint to use
Have you tested it for lead paint (using a home test kit from local hardware store)? Or are you assuming it is lead paint?

While it is true that you may have some lead in the surrounding landscape, it's probably minimal- hiring lead abatement crew is like getting someone to remove asbestos. They charge out the wazoo....

If you want to DIY, you can use a water blaster, but get a large plastic tarp (or 2) from Home Depot. Cover the surrounding ground and landscaping- you can also cover shrubs/bushes with individual plastic disposable drops (keep chips from getting lodged in leaves). Try to keep chips contained within your tarped area.

You can scrape remaining areas with a paint scraper, though it will dull quickly. Once your done removing all paint, roll everything up and throw it into contractor grade bags- if it's lead, call local hazardous waste dump. SOmetimes they will take home owner related items at no charge. Even if they charge, you'll save oodles of cashola because you did it your self.

Treat efflourescence with mild acid wash to neutralize. Let everything DRY thoroughly. Prime with a quality masonry primer (BM has a great one), and roll a couple heavy coats acrylic on there. You'll have it looking good in no time...

Good Luck!
Bay Area Painting Company
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
keep me busy

And most important thing ,USE PROTECTIVE MASK ! Led paint is most dangerous when is scraped from the wall,because most of the led dust goes in the air ,then you inhale that dust directly into your lungs,where ends up in blood vessel,damaging your health.

Don`t use regular protective mask ,use NORTH ( half face mask will be sufficient )
Use rubber gloves ,wear long sleeves,make sure nothing could touch your skin .

be safe
Work is good is offline   Reply With Quote