Brick Fireplace Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Brick Fireplace Painting

I want to paint the brick fireplace with contrasting color with off white wall. I need advise if anyone has painted the fireplace.

Advertisement

asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Paperhanger/painter

Rewards Points: 75

Brick Fireplace Painting

Yes, prime it with an acrylic block filler, like http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...tid=79#article

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Yes Master

Rewards Points: 25

Brick Fireplace Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiga
Thanks, should I power wash first or is getting the surface dirt off with a broom/brush ok?:confused:
It wouldn’t hurt to use a product called “Soilax” on it with a stiff plastic type brush to get off any smoke residue. If its smoke stained bad? Consider a darker color for a finish paint to hide some of the residue if you plan on burning in it. I’m getting the hint this might be an outdoor fireplace. If that’s the case a good power washing wouldn’t hurt.
MasterStrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Brick Fireplace Painting

I have used Brick-ANew to paint the fireplace in two houses now. They send you a little kit and a video that makes it super easy to do. I started off reading their fireplace decorating tips and then bought one of their fireplace painting kits. Let me know if that helps out.
hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #5

Brick Fireplace Painting

Hey, Hockeyguy...do you happen to have any before and after photos... I have a fireplace I want to paint and not sure whether to use oil based watered down or try the brick-a-new.

Krista
wantubeprg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #6

Brick Fireplace Painting

Krista,

I actually didn't take any photos when we did ours, but if you go to their fireplace photos section my neighbor's fireplace is the one on the very top right. I would say that a lot of the pictures in that section are typical of mine and my neighbor's results. Hope that helps.
hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #7

Brick Fireplace Painting

Thanks Hockeyguy. Krista
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #8

Brick Fireplace Painting

I have a fireplace that was sadly painted - I am looking to refinish it as stripping down to the natural brick doesn't seem to be a feasible option. I read that I could clean it with TSP and a grout brush and then paint it. I also check out Brick A New and wonder if that would be the way to go. Any opinions?
MystiLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #9

Brick Fireplace Painting

I painted our old fireplace (with "Bricks Anew" kit sold on line) that had seriously ugly black mortor and old ugly bricks. It took me several months to get up the nerve to actually paint the fireplace as I had the same concerns many people do...once you start there's no turning back.
I finally did it and can't say enough about how happy I am with the result. I have recieved many compliments on it and it has completely transformed the room. The kit is very very easy to use and it goes pretty fast once you get started. The thing is that you control how much you want to put on...I started with the mortar and base coat over the brick. I left a very slight amount of the brick color showing so it didn't appear too solid. Step back every once in a while and see how you like it. After that you apply the other colors, again apply a smaller amount, step back and apply more if you like or change to the next color. There is a very slight difference in the colors they give you (atleast for the kit I chose) so you can't make a terrible mistake. I say...just do it! You WILL be glad you did.
eyes2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #10

Brick Fireplace Painting

I have looked at the Brick A New site and wondered how well it did. Thanks for the encouragement - as you said once you start there is no going back. I think that is why I am so hestiant. DIY is so new to me....
Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #11

Brick Fireplace Painting

Thank you so much for the encouragement... do you happen to have before and after photos?

Krista
Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #12

Brick Fireplace Painting

I will try to get some before and after photos posted here this weekend....now if I could just remember what I did with them......hmmmm...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #13

Brick Fireplace Painting

before and after pictures. Still researching the product and designing the mantel.

MystiLatte
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #14

Brick Fireplace Painting

ok...so (I think) I put three pictures in my album: One of the old look (which you really can't appreciate the black mortar and the true ugliness of the fireplace, but it was the only photo I could get locate) and then two of the new look. The room looks sooo much brighter than it did before. Here goes....hoped this worked!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #15

Brick Fireplace Painting

Eyes2020...what a beautiful job you did... JOB WELL DONE!!! It is a wonderful transformation... I so want to do it now... Thank you for providing me before and after photos, much appreciated.

It looks like your fireplace is a real one (wood burning), is it? Just wondering if it is and if you have ever had a problem burning the wood and the paint being affected... I have heard you have to be careful what kind of paint to use (oil watered down, etc) otherwise it will bubble?

Krista

p.s. Thanks again for all your info.

Advertisement