Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

Brick

I live in a downtown "loft" type of apartment and have approximately a 60X9 exposed brick wall that needs to be sealed. I am looking for the best way to seal the walls and the most economical. I have started using poly, but have found that it is not cost effective. I was wondering about spraying the poly or maybe another way. Any help would be very beneficial.

rambodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Brick

Poly is definitely not the product to use for sealing brick. You need something more like an elastomeric or acrylic sealer. Are you trying to seal it with clear, or are you painting it?

AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #3

Brick

i guess i worded it wrong....I am not really trying to "seal" it....the building was built in the 30's and previously had plaster over the brick....I want to leave the brick exposed and keep its natural color...we have used poly on other small brick sections in the building, but this wall is so big I am just looking for something easier and less expensive.....the poly helps to keep the dust down...
rambodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Brick

Yup, the problem is that the poly will crack and fail eventually. It's not formulated to handle the task you have chosen it for. Go to your local paint store, tell them you want a clear masonry sealer. They come in different sheen levels from flat, semi-gloss, and gloss. I would recommend just the flat unless you want shiny brick. They should set you up with an appropriate product for your application.
AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote