Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

Brand spankin' new cedar deck suddenly looks awful.

The deck was installed 2 weeks ago. We'd sanded the wood & stained it with Sikkens water base redwood stain before building. The deck is approximately 2' off the ground. It was fine on last Tuesday and Wednesday (last night) there were stains mostly near the sides - not much in the middle. Areas under chairs (only 4 legs on deck not the body) are basically clear. It's very disheartening to spend a month building something & only have it look good for 2 weeks - let alone the cost involved! I've been reading about cedar & decided what we see is the bleed.

What is the best way to restore it's beauty? Is it even possible? We live in Puget Sound area - it's even been sunny!

BLW-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

WIthout pics it's hard to say what went wrong. I'll take a stab at it and say it's the water based product causing the problem if it is indeed tannin bleed from the cedar. It is one of those cases where I think an oil-based product was needed. Not used to seeing much tannin bleed from cedar decking with stain applied.........although it is very possible. Just remember, water acts as a wick with woods that have oils and tannins embedded and the more you put on the more it wicks the stains into the finish.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Let me ask what is amp? You sanded it why? Was it new wood? Hat to say it but you must strip off the finish, neutralize then reseal preferably with an oil based sealer.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
Let me ask what is amp? You sanded it why? Was it new wood? Hat to say it but you must strip off the finish, neutralize then reseal preferably with an oil based sealer.
amp is mobile phone/computer misinterpreted code for the use of the "&" sign. It is short for ampersand.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
'amp' means ampersand - the little symbol for 'and' above the seven on your keyboard. Some systems cannot display them for some reason and put those letters in their place.

Last edited by Windows; 08-23-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: beat me to it.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Thanks, I am too old for all these new fangled tools.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptRandy For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-23-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

Now that the proverbial dust has settled, we can see a definitive line in the cedar. The discoloration is under the pergola. It only had the skeleton of the pergola in place before the cedar got ugly. So the deck had the same amount of sunlight, evening dew, etc as the rest of the deck. The wood on the pergola is appearance grade, pressurized wood, stained with the same stain as the deck.

Any idea why it would do that & what we should do to correct the problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Well you answered your own question. The pergola is PT pine which takes water-based stain very well. The deck is CEDAR which is notorious for reacting with water and bleeding the tannins thru the stain. Your problem seems to be the use of the WB stain on the cedar deck. The only solution would be to strip the WB stain off the deck and redo it with an OIL-based stain.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

But, why would only part of the deck be effected & not the whole thing? It was all the same wood & all the same stain... Strange!

I've attached a pic of the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand spankin' new cedar deck suddenly looks awful.-5-deck-basically-finished.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

BLW-C, there's really no rhyme or reason as to where the tannins come through the stain. You may have 2 spots on one board, 7 or 8 giant splotches on another, none on one, and so on.........the staining is just very random. I can't make out too much of what's going on in your pic........hard to see the decking.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just a left field possibility perhaps. You have not sprayed the lawn with anything recently have you? I ask because you mention the staining is worse along the edges. I see lawn along the edges. Many fertilizers and other chemicals have metallics in them as part of their composition. It is scary but under inert ingredient laws heavy metals like chrome and cobalt---high tech industry wastes---are showing up as well. They will discolor deck surfaces.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote