Brand New Maple Cabinets...Stain? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brand New Maple Cabinets...Stain?

I am new to woodworking/cabinetry but am doing pretty well. I have built speaker boxes for years and have great tools but actually doing customcabinets is much different.

My question is I have just re-done my entire kitchen with Maple hardwood fronts and Import Maple Plywood sides/shelves. I just built them so they are virgin. I want to stain the cabinets a dark color like the (Minwax Bombay Mohagany Color). Many people have said to me that I should have used a different wood to do this but it is too late for me now!

My questions are is what do I need to know and what do I need to do to achieve this under the circumstances?

Brush, roll, or spray? Stages? etc.?

Any input appreciated!

thanks

Advertisement

cbrdolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

if your gonna stain them i would recommend to brush the stain on then rag it off.......some people rag it on right out of the can but that takes to long for me................let brush deliver it and the rag finish it..........then seal it with a nice gloss poly...........im an OIL man so i say oil poly, of course

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

This board has a few threads from people who insisted on dark stain for their maple woodwork and came to regret it.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey cbrdolby,
You might want to consider a dye instead of a stain. Google General Finishes.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,070

I recommend brushing it on and rag it off as well. Only thing I can add is to watch for it lapping over onto the sides and back when you do it.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

I would suggest any time you stain to always apply the stain to a sample piece of left over wood from your project first. Maple is a tough wood to stain, especially with darker stains, as it doesn't like to accept the stain evenly. I would first apply Minwax pre-wood conditioner. The conditioner will allow help the wood to accept the stain evenly. Be sure to stir your stain well, as the pigments in stain always settle to the bottom of the can, don't shake it. Shaking it will create air bubbles and will not mix the stain well enough. Stir it occasionally during use. Apply it with a brush, let it absorb in the surface for a couple of minutes, the rag it off using lint free cotton rags. After your first coat if you want it darker you can apply a second coat. Also the longer it absorbs into the wood before ragging it off that will also affect the outcome, so its important to sample it first on scrap wood of the same kind. After you have stained then apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I have not had a lot of luck staining maple-- it just doesn't seem to take the stain evenly. That said, since it's already in place, I would try a lighter stain and practice on other maple pieces ahead of time to get some practice.

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote