Bought A New Sprayer... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bought a new sprayer...

Hi everyone, I wanted to thank everyone for previous help on our project that turned out great. Went with SW Pro Classic on our kitchen cabinets and it looks great!

Since then, I decided to take on the exterior cedar siding. I purchased a Wagner Procoat sprayer. It has a 2800 psi rating and a maximum tip size of .015. My questions are:
-what exterior paints will work best with the machine I bought?
-can I use a paint that requires a tip size of .16 or greater and just thin it to work with my machine?

Advertisement

jettlash84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

bought a new sprayer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettlash84 View Post
Hi everyone, I wanted to thank everyone for previous help on our project that turned out great. Went with SW Pro Classic on our kitchen cabinets and it looks great!

Since then, I decided to take on the exterior cedar siding. I purchased a Wagner Procoat sprayer. It has a 2800 psi rating and a maximum tip size of .015. My questions are:
-can I use a paint that requires a tip size of .16 or greater and just thin it to work with my machine?
Most quality exterior latex paints with acrylic binders can be sprayed through a .015 orfice without thinning. I personally do not ever thin paint, as I don't realistically see a need to.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

bought a new sprayer...

Yeah, the pro shot will handle most Sw paints too. The only thing is that pro shot is going to work you to death on a large project like that. We have small standard graco airless sprayers in the stores now or as little as 300 bucks.
Duration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

bought a new sprayer...

Ok, so the SW paint I looked at said it needed a tip size of .017-.021, I wont run into any trouble? Would you all recommend I mix water with the paint?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

bought a new sprayer...

Quote:

Should do fine with that sprayer. It should throw most any paint without thinning, at least up to SW Duration. That may take a bit of Floetrol. I add Floetrol to almost all latex paint anyway, regardless whether spray, brush or roll. Retards drying time a bit making it easier to keep a wet edge and allows the paint to level better.

I would recommend you put all the hose on the sprayer that it will handle, at least 50 ft. With me, I am usually spending as much time moving ladders, sprayer and other stuff than I am painting.
Took some planning but I painted my house, single story, 1500 sq ft ranch, by only moving the sprayer set up twice. Final coat took about 2 hours including setup and cleanup.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

bought a new sprayer...

Quote:
Ok, so the SW paint I looked at said it needed a tip size of .017-.021, I wont run into any trouble? Would you all recommend I mix water with the paint?
You need a sprayer that will support those orffice sizes. Sounds like your using a thicker product. You could thin a little, but I personally don't. You may not get the recomened coverage and results if your thinnig and using a sprayer tip that's smaller than what's recomended, not to mention the pump will work harder than it should.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

bought a new sprayer...

I appreciate the feedback. I have been searching this forum, but can't seem to find a clear answer. I just don't want to spend ~$700 on SW paint to find out it doesn't work. Any other thoughts or experiences with this?

Thank you for the suggestions so far, this is helping!
The Following User Says Thank You to jettlash84 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-04-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

bought a new sprayer...

your SW should have all of the answers that you need if you explain your scope of work.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
jschaben

bought a new sprayer...

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. I have been searching this forum, but can't seem to find a clear answer. I just don't want to spend ~$700 on SW paint to find out it doesn't work. Any other thoughts or experiences with this?

Thank you for the suggestions so far, this is helping!
Which SW paint are you looking at? I just checked my can of Duration and it calls for 2000 psi and a 15-19 tip without thinning. I just got it not to long ago and haven't shot any yet but would expect it would shoot fine thinned with a bit of conditioner.
I've got a Wagner Spray Tek with virtually identical specs to your sprayer. I've sprayed both Moorgard and Behr Premium Ultra with just the Floetrol conditioner for thinning.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

bought a new sprayer...

We spray Duration, Super Paint and Resiliance all from .015 and .013 when we are trying to keep the overspray down. Never had any issues doing this. Seems like the recommendations on the can lean very far to the safe side to protect the manufacturer from problems.
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

bought a new sprayer...

Acrylic resins have larger particle sizes than alkyd resins. If you try to shove an acrylic through too small of an orfice you may shear the particles smaller than they were intended to be. The results can be orange peel texture, sheen and color differences in the dried paint. I've never seen it happen with exterior paints but Proclassic waterborne and incredicoat have been known to have issues when customers use a tip size that is not recommended. Isn't the pro shot the cordless cup airless? I have one for demos but I'm not sure the name difference between it and the corded model. I've put straight duration through my pro shot with no issues. I used a 415 on some shutters. Also, as far as additives go, I've found that XIM latex extender works better at retarding waterbased enamels and Duration. Both paint types are bad about lapping. Duration especially in direct sunlight.
Duration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

bought a new sprayer...

Thanks everyone, that is excellent news. I read the can on my SW proclassic and SW primer, both say .017 and up. I think I'll just try duration. I do have floetrol, what mixtures are you guys using (water to floetrol to paint ratio)?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
jschaben

bought a new sprayer...

Quote:
Thanks everyone, that is excellent news. I read the can on my SW proclassic and SW primer, both say .017 and up. I think I'll just try duration. I do have floetrol, what mixtures are you guys using (water to floetrol to paint ratio)?
Floetrol instructions say no more than 10% before it affects the sheen. I usually need less than that but if I do I just add bottled (not the flavored type) water till it atomizes nicely.

Last edited by jschaben; 08-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #14

bought a new sprayer...

You are all correct, the duration and superpaint are .015 tip sizes and up. Also, there is going to be another big sale at SW starting next Thursday.

Advertisement