Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

Share |

Bonding primer problems

My kitchen cabinets are making me crazy!! I went to paint them today and noticed stain bleeding thru the Stix bonding primer. I was meticulous in my prep: tsp/rinse, sand, tsp/rinse, dried 24 hrs, applied 2 coats of Stix with a sand in between the coats and then they had to sit for 2 weeks as I got busy with life.
When I went to paint them today I noticed the bleed through on some of the cabinet door faces. I'm hesitant to paint them as I'm sure it will bleed thru the paint eventually. Can I use a stain blocking primer like BIN or 123 over the Stix? Can I spot prime or do I need to cover the entire surface?
Grrrrr-
Thanks in advance-

Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Bonding primer problems

Most acrylic ( waterborne) primers will only stop some stains.
Bin is the fail safe.
If you are only seeing some spotting, not overall, just spot with BIN , then respot with your stix just to test if you got it. Both dry pretty quick so should give you your answer quick. Just watch the build up of brush strokes so that doesn't show through to your finish.

BTW- why 2 coats of primer? One coat ( besides the bleeding issue) would give you the bonding needed. Then Paint ( or above in this case) .
2 coats of primer does not make the bond better.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Bonding primer problems

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am using a dense foam roller so brush strokes aren't an issue and my BM guy told me to do 2 coats after looking at the cabinet door (1966 birch slab doors). They were so smooth I guess he thought it would take 2 coats. Now I wish I had just done one and then used bin. Oh well, live and learn.
Back to the paint store....They know me by name now!
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Bonding primer problems

BTW-- BM probably won't have BIN, but they have another pigmented shellac product by Insul-x that works the same.
Shellac dries really quick- takes some getting used to . Don't mess with it after you put it on.
Get a qt of denatured Alcohol - it will cut it and also clean you up.
I keep my BIN brush in a tall closed sport bottle with a bit of D/ alch in it- keeps the brush ready to go.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Bonding primer problems

You sound like you did immaculate preparation; but remember, preparation is a result, not a process. Sometimes, more than one wash job is necessary - especially in kitchens. At this time, follow brushjockey's advice; you can't go wrong.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote