Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

BM vs SW - Price, thoughts?

It seems like hands down, BM is the way to go if you want top of the line.

From a price point:
BM Aura seems to be around ~$65/gal
SW Duration Home around ~$59/gal -> $41/gal

Seems pretty cut and dry, BM wins. Well SW is offering 30% off dropping that price to $41. Now with approximately $25 difference after tax, is the SW Duration a pretty reasonable buy?

We will be painting our kitchen - fairly small, no specs, hoping a gallon will give me two coats. Our living room, quite large, perhaps 3-4 gallons for two coats. And our bathroom, an additional gallon, unless I can get a couple quarts, there is not much to paint here with significant tile work.

Thoughts?

splintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,234

I've been buying Sherwin-Williams paints for about 34 years. Duration really doesn't impress me. I like Cashmere if I upscale to a premium paint. I say it all the time on here........SuperPaint is my "go-to" paint of choice. Not the best, but at the price point it is a great workmanlike paint that gets the job done. Both BM and SW have paint at various price points. Some is expensive, some is not. That's the great thing about a real paintstore. They have the paint that works for you at a price you can afford. Not all the paint is $70 a gallon.......

As for buying quarts, forget about it. A quart is about the same price as a gallon so just buy the gallon.

You can't go wrong with BM or SW......

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Benjamin Moore was my fave brand but I certainly did not grimmace when the situation called for SW. Aura is great stuff but before it came along many of used Regal for ages as the top of the line. I have not used Duration enough to comment though.

As mentioned, a real paint store will have many options. Pick one that is comfortable for your budget and that matches your expectations from a paint product. It also depends on the wear and tear you are going to subject the product to in terms of washing after kids and pets or enjoy the color on the walls as two calm adults over a glass of wine in the evening.

You might ask to see what discount the store can offer you on Ben Moore products if you want to use them. They may match the SW prices or have a sale of their own soon. Look for online coupons too.

Last edited by user1007; 05-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

imho forget about duration home . go cashmere .super paint is also my every day paint, all tho lately I have been using a lot of cashmere and I love the finish it gives. just my opinion, but I look for s/w to discontinue duration home. hey what do I know ? I been running trim all day.
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-07-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

BM's Regal Select ( matte , eggshell,satin, semi) is just as good in almost all situations as Aura. Really a fine line of paint.
In a save a buck situation, the Ultra Spec low luster is also very nice.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintner View Post
It seems like hands down, BM is the way to go if you want top of the line.

From a price point:
BM Aura seems to be around ~$65/gal
SW Duration Home around ~$59/gal -> $41/gal

Seems pretty cut and dry, BM wins. Well SW is offering 30% off dropping that price to $41. Now with approximately $25 difference after tax, is the SW Duration a pretty reasonable buy?

We will be painting our kitchen - fairly small, no specs, hoping a gallon will give me two coats. Our living room, quite large, perhaps 3-4 gallons for two coats. And our bathroom, an additional gallon, unless I can get a couple quarts, there is not much to paint here with significant tile work.

Thoughts?
Once you get to three, just buy a five, its cheaper, and it will all be the same color. You should mix all your paint together in a five anyway if you have more than one gallon.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-07-2013), user1007 (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
BM's Regal Select ( matte , eggshell,satin, semi) is just as good in almost all situations as Aura. Really a fine line of paint.
In a save a buck situation, the Ultra Spec low luster is also very nice.
Indeed this be true! I used to use a lot Super Spec but I think they have phased it out in favor of Ultra Spec (marketed as low VOC). Not the same formula as Regal or Aura of course but nicer paint than box store. I have used it often for commercial spaces and for residences being spruced up for sale. Pro Mar is the equivalent in SW's line. Neither may have the washability or long term colorfastness as the higher end brands but the price is nice if that is in issue. They come in more limited sheens though.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,450

If you're going to use 2 coats of paint and not a radical color difference, and you're using eggshell (I'm assuming if you're in a kitchen), there really is no need for an expensive paint like Aura. You will probably never notice a difference between Regal and SuperPaint, or even ProMar 200 for that matter. Aura is best if you're going for the matte finish, if you're going for one coat, or if you're going for a difficult color with no more than 2 coats.

However if you want to compare top of the line to compare with Aura, for Sherwin Williams they are now selling Emerald to represent that. But I think you'd be a bit crazy to paint your living room with 4 gallons and 2 coats of a $70 paint.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

One thing that Aura brings WAY over something like Pro MAr 200 is cleanability and scuff resistance. It's not always about application- it's also about how the paint performs in the long run.
Depends what you want out of a paint.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
One thing that Aura brings WAY over something like Pro MAr 200 is cleanability and scuff resistance.
I don't see why Aura in a matte would be more cleanable than ProMar 200 in an eggshell. That's not apples to apples, but the point is sheen has more to do with cleanability than other chemistry, usually. In fact, Duration was originally marketed as a "scrubbable flat". And guess what? It wasn't really flat - it had more sheen to it - hence "matte". And thus, more scrubbable mainly because it was not flat.

Will 2 coats of Aura be more cleanable and scuff resistant than 2 coats of ProMar 200? Maybe a little. Is it a threshold that will be crossed in a typical kitchen? Very unlikely IMO.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

The chemistry is a very big factor in that comparison.
Personally I don't think that any SW paints compare to even Regal Select- say nothing about Aura.
There are other paints like Muralo that I would put up against it, but not SW.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Will 2 coats of Aura be more cleanable and scuff resistant than 2 coats of ProMar 200? Maybe a little. Is it a threshold that will be crossed in a typical kitchen? Very unlikely IMO.
Disagree and many of my clients too. They swear they can scrub Aura matte with anything including those horrible melamine Mr. Clean eraser things and not hurt it. And their kids, working on art projects in addition to occassional food vs. wall adventures give paint a workouit. You don't want to try those magic erasers on Promar 200 eggshell! You will make an omellete out of it for sure.

That said, if it is just a calm adult kitchen serving mostly food heated by Chef Mike? Something like ProMar might work.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Disagree and many of my clients too.
So what you're saying is, that *many* of your clients either have 2 kitchens, 1 painted with ProMar 200 eggshell and 1 painted with Aura matte, or they painted their kitchen with ProMar 200 eggshell awhile ago and then decided to cover over that with Aura matte and then gave you their feedback? Sorry, calling bull**** on that one.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

Either that or actually a painter who has used many products and has seen the difference.

But I like the 2 kitchen thing! I have had a couple of clients that had 2.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
So what you're saying is, that *many* of your clients either have 2 kitchens, 1 painted with ProMar 200 eggshell and 1 painted with Aura matte, or they painted their kitchen with ProMar 200 eggshell awhile ago and then decided to cover over that with Aura matte and then gave you their feedback? Sorry, calling bull**** on that one.
Don't think I said anything about clients having two kitchens or painting Aura over ProMar? Or having ProMar in the kitchen at all? Sorry you read it that way.

I have had clients try to clean ProMar surfaces, not necessarily in the kitchen with those magic erasers and it did not work out at all well. It required re-painting in some instances. No fault of the paint. It is just not built for that sort of melamine abrasive.

I have had clients that have been able to use them on Aura matte surfaces with no change to the surface. Some have Aura in their kitchen but where it is, is irrelevant?

Hope this clarifies my comment for you. Thanks for letting me know your were confused. I would hate to keep you up nights.