BM Ben Vs Moorgard Vs Auro - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

BM ben vs Moorgard vs Auro

Went to local paintstore last eve. I have Moorgard on my house of 11 years. I was inquiring about the best choice to repaint atop the Moorgard. The rep suggested ben instead of Moorgard. ben was 39/gallon, Moorgard 49.

I've never used BM paint before. I've used Behr for the interior and Valspar exterior. They have been fine. Behr imo seems a bit hard to work with, so going with the advice of online professionals I figured I'd try a BM paint. Many years ago I tried some other paint store paint and it was a disaster. Maybe it was Kelly Moore, I just don't recall. But I painted about 20 exterior windows and within a couple of years it was peeling. I put Valspar on top of that (after scraping/sanding), and it's been good for 3 so far.

In any event, I digress. So I have some fascia that I'm going to prime with Zinsser 123 and then paint with ben low luster. We'll see how it goes. At 39/gal vs 49/gal vs Behr at 25/gallon I'm really curious to see how it pans out.

Advertisement

coloradotrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

mooregard is a proven solid paint. it really has modified alkyd resin in it. You'll notice this- to clean up you first use water, then mineral spirits.
Ben is a midline paint , don't really know what it has going for it ( other than it will be better than behr..)
And Aura is their new flagship coating, but it dries very fast and is difficult to work with because of that.

Advertisement

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotrout View Post
Went to local paintstore last eve. I have Moorgard on my house of 11 years. I was inquiring about the best choice to repaint atop the Moorgard. The rep suggested ben instead of Moorgard. ben was 39/gallon, Moorgard 49.

I've never used BM paint before. I've used Behr for the interior and Valspar exterior. They have been fine. Behr imo seems a bit hard to work with, so going with the advice of online professionals I figured I'd try a BM paint. Many years ago I tried some other paint store paint and it was a disaster. Maybe it was Kelly Moore, I just don't recall. But I painted about 20 exterior windows and within a couple of years it was peeling. I put Valspar on top of that (after scraping/sanding), and it's been good for 3 so far.

In any event, I digress. So I have some fascia that I'm going to prime with Zinsser 123 and then paint with ben low luster. We'll see how it goes. At 39/gal vs 49/gal vs Behr at 25/gallon I'm really curious to see how it pans out.
I sprayed my house about 15 years ago with Moorgard. For the most part still looks decent. Some of the window trim I didn't prep as well as I should have and needed work a couple of years ago. I scrapped it and primed with Glidden Gripper. Sprayed the Moorgard, thinned for spraying with Floetrol.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote