Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

BM ben for powder room?

My local BM dealer says that for a powder room, with no dampness issue, "ben" eggshell would be fine.

Opinions on this? It's a brand new bath, small (5x6) but with a very modern look. The walls have an orange peel texture.

Just a toilet and sink, no window, but has a fan. Never any humidity issue, we have a dry climate.

I was going to to do Aura Bath & Spa, or even Kitchen and Bath, but if the ben is good enough ...

Last edited by M3 Pete; 03-21-2012 at 04:28 PM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 510

BM ben for powder room?

I hated the Ben paint that I tried. The words "Self priming on most surfaces" leads me to believe it is similar to the other gimmicky paint+primer mixtures that do neither paint or prime very well.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

BM ben for powder room?

I don't know the product, however an eggshell sheen is very contemporary in decorating and will be well suited to a small room.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Just a DIY guy

BM ben for powder room?

It does say "paint + primer" on the can, which has me worried a bit, even though BM paint has an excellent reputation.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...interior-paint

But I am using a real primer under whatever I decide to use.

Aura is nearly twice the price, but given how small the room is, it's not going to be that much anyway.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

BM ben for powder room?

My personal experience with Ben was that it was like painting with Elmer's Glue. Very thick, very sticky, and it resulted in poor coverage that required me to do more coats than I had expected, and buying 2x as much paint as I would have normally used on the room. [backstory: I had painted the same room 9 months before we found out it was to turn into a baby's room, so I knew how much paint was used the last time].

I bought Ben because it was "pushed on me" at the store too. Not what I planned on using.
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
M3 Pete (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Just a DIY guy

BM ben for powder room?

One more thing, my wife wants an off white ("OC25 Cloud Cover") on the walls, and is thinking of a very deep blue-green on the ceiling or possibly an accent wall. 2057-30 Naples Blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...lor/naplesblue

Any opinions on ceiling vs. accent wall? And if an accent wall, which one is best? (door opens to face the short (5 ft.) wall with toilet, the vanity/sink/mirror is on left along longer (6 ft.) wall)

Then she has a deep brown for "trim," but does not know where that might go. AF655 Silhouette
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...lor/silhouette

All of these colors are in our floor tile, but I'm wondering if her designer is a bit too ambitious by trying to put these on the walls.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 03-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

BM ben for powder room?

I have used Ben a few times and found it a nice paint. I usually "loosen" up thick paints with a splash of water- makes them handle nice.
It won't be Aura- but in actuality- Ben is a reformulation of the old Regal, it is a better paint than it looks.
Also expect to see the Paint and Primer thing appearing everywhere- because that is what the buying public seems to want/ be sold . A real primer is always the best way to go.
Some really good threads on the topic here if you care to look.

Almost any eggshell is appropriate for a bath. you want more of a closed film - which an egg is, than a porous one like a flat.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Just a DIY guy

BM ben for powder room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
A real primer is always the best way to go.
Some really good threads on the topic here if you care to look.

Almost any eggshell is appropriate for a bath. you want more of a closed film - which an egg is, than a porous one like a flat.
Thanks. I've read a number of threads here, which is why I'm sold on a real primer. Two walls are new drywall, two walls and ceiling are existing paint, but all surfaces have raw texture on them now. So I want to seal that and make it uniform with the primer.

Eggshell is pretty typical for a bath, but the Aura Bath & Spa has a mildewcide and a matte finish.

Any advantage to BM Kitchen and Bath (satin) over the ben eggshell?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

BM ben for powder room?

Personally I think BM's satin is better for trim than walls- pretty high sheen for walls. BuT that doesn't make it a bad choice- just a personal preference.
Aura had a bit of trouble with humidity in the matte sheen in baths, which caused them to reformulate the Bath and spa version.
The B& S matte is nice very low sheen- quite the opposite end from the satin. Which is why the egg is a good middle ground.
Aura in general uses exceptional resins for great wash and other durability factors- but that said the Regal Select, regular Regal and Ben all are quality paints.
I find I use the Regal Select more now- it is a step up from Ben but not quite to the cost of Aura- but an excellent paint.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

BM ben for powder room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
One more thing, my wife wants an off white ("OC25 Cloud Cover") on the walls, and is thinking of a very deep blue-green on the ceiling or possibly an accent wall. 2057-30 Naples Blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...lor/naplesblue

Any opinions on ceiling vs. accent wall? And if an accent wall, which one is best? (door opens to face the short (5 ft.) wall with toilet, the vanity/sink/mirror is on left along longer (6 ft.) wall)

Then she has a deep brown for "trim," but does not know where that might go. AF655 Silhouette
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...lor/silhouette

All of these colors are in our floor tile, but I'm wondering if her designer is a bit too ambitious by trying to put these on the walls.

I have never seen nor heard of anything like that. Normally the ceiling is lighter than the walls
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

BM ben for powder room?

Painting the ceiling dark is going to give the feeling of it being low. If you have very high ceilings this may not matter, but in typical heights you don't paint the ceiling dark.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Just a DIY guy

BM ben for powder room?

As far as the ceiling goes, I'm with you guys. I've seen colored walls with 20 percent of that same color on the ceiling, and that looks good.

We have a standard 8 foot ceiling, and I'm afraid that dinky powder room going to look closed in if we paint the ceiling that deep color.

Any opinion on which wall for the accent wall? I'm thinking the wall with the door, so you don't see it till you get into the bath. It's the smallest surface area too, since the door takes half the wall. But I'm open to opinions ...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

BM ben for powder room?

ok you asked . in my humble opinion an accent wall would look forced ,like your trying to hardi like white ceilings and colored walls . but hey thats me ,thats what makes the world go round
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

BM ben for powder room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
ok you asked . in my humble opinion an accent wall would look forced ,like your trying to hardi like white ceilings and colored walls . but hey thats me ,thats what makes the world go round
I agree, + the wall with the door would hardly be an accent wall
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #15

BM ben for powder room?

I think I'm with these guys. In a room this size, I would probably paint it all one color and use things on the wall (pictures, towels on a bar, etc) for accent coloring.