Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Share |

BM Alkyd enamel underbody drying too slowly?

I'm a bit puzzled, as the BM alkyd enamel underbody 217 I am using as a primer for some cabinets is not fully dry after 24 hours. I'd love to hear from someone that has experience with the same primer.

It's warm enough. The humidity isn't terribly high. What gives? This stuff is still glossy and wet in several spots, and tacky everywhere else. It's a deep base, and was tinted at the store. Is it possible that they screwed something up? All I got was a blank look when I asked about it at the paint counter today.

The directions say it dries overnight. I'd hate to think that taking days to dry is normal, as I still have to sand and apply a second coat of primer in order to hide the filler that was used on each and every door and drawer.

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #2

Put a fan in the room on high. If you are going to add a second coat, then use some Japan Drier. It will really speed up the drying time of oil based paints and primers.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Put a fan in the room on high. If you are going to add a second coat, then use some Japan Drier. It will really speed up the drying time of oil based paints and primers.
Well, I failed to mention it, but there has been a fan in the room the entire time. The current drying time just seems abnormal to me, and I'm wondering if it's possible that the paint is just somehow off.

If it turns out to be normal, then I'll definitely try adding a little japan drier. I have a quart of it around here somewhere.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

More than likely the deep tint base, give it another day.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
More than likely the deep tint base, give it another day.
It is closer to dry today, but still not completely. I think it will dry eventually.

I rememer now that the guy mixing it said something about tinting it a bit darker than the formula suggested. Sure enough, the label on the lid says it is altered, something that the top coat I had mixed at the same time does not say. If I remember my artist mother's ramblings correctly, the more tint you add, the longer it takes an alkyd to dry.

I found my japan drier, but to be honest, I've never the stuff. (The can I have is factory sealed and was part of a chemical stash that the previous owner of our house left in the shop.) I know it shouldn't take much, but can someone steer me towards figuring out the proper amount to use, and just how to use it?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #6

I think it will tell you on the can, but I think it is 4 cap fulls for a gallon? I think the last time I used it I used one cap for a quart.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

[quote=KAdams4458;310047]It is closer to dry today, but still not completely. I think it will dry eventually.

. If I remember my artist mother's ramblings correctly, the more tint you add, the longer it takes an alkyd to dry.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote