Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Blue painters tape will not stick to wall

I would like to paint a stripe on my wall. I am trying to tape off the area so the line is straight. For some reason, the tape will not stick to the wall. The top of the wall is a tan and the bottom is a darker blue so a deep base paint was used. It sticks to the tan, but not the blue. Does the deep base have anything to do with it? I even tried duct tape and that will not stick either (but does stick to the tan). Is there an alternative tape I can use or another method where tape is not needed?

JoeMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

http://www.frogtape.com/

If duct tape does not stick, I don't think any product in the world will, good luck.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Mod

Washing the slime off the wall first might help.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-19-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How old is the painter's tape and what type adhesive? How do the core markings read? Is it real 3M tape or some also ran brand? Try frog tape as Chris suggests. In theory it is supposed to have some patented technology to keep paint from ever seeping under the edges. I did not use enough of it or any painter's tape to know.

You might try plain old masking tape but do not be surprised if it peels paint off and you have to touch up. You can get it with a low tack adhesive. An art supply or autobody supply place will have tape options home paint stores may not.

I know kwikfishron was joking but he is right. Did you wash the walls and might their be detergent residue or something left behind? That would keep the tape from sticking. Is this wall off a kitchen? You would be surprised how a thin layer of cooking oil can deposit feet from a stove.

Last edited by user1007; 05-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5

Yes it is a brand new role of 3M blue tape. It's very odd, you can feel the tackiness of the blue and not the tan when you put your fingers to it. And I did clean the wall before applying the tape. Another odd thing is the paint can be scratched off with my nail. It's very tacky for paint. I will try the frog tape. And this is in a bedroom...no where near the kitchen.
JoeMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma View Post
Yes it is a brand new role of 3M blue tape. It's very odd, you can feel the tackiness of the blue and not the tan when you put your fingers to it. And I did clean the wall before applying the tape. Another odd thing is the paint can be scratched off with my nail. It's very tacky for paint. I will try the frog tape. And this is in a bedroom...no where near the kitchen.
Maybe you have the blue 3M tape with the orange inside cardboard roll? That is the delicate surface tape and often won't stick to anything. Try the frog tape or the regular surface blue 3M tape. If you're having trouble with duct tape sticking, there is something on the wall- grease, oil, hairspray, something..

Last edited by pucks101; 05-19-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pucks101 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-19-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Hi, I am Rachel with ScotchBlue(TM) Painter's Tape and wanted to comment on the discussion posts I have read. Regardless of which of our tapes you are using we would expect them to stick to the surface especially painted walls, trim, glass, metal, and other common surfaces you would typically mask before painting taking into consideration the surface has been properly prepped, cleaned, and prepared. If you have a roll of tape that is not performing as expected we would ask you contact us directly through our website at www.scotchblue.com or by calling our customer service group at 800-494-3552. We want to make sure our products are meeting the high standards our customers have come to expect.
ScotchBlueBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotchBlueBrand For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-24-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchBlueBrand View Post
Hi, I am Rachel with ScotchBlue(TM) Painter's Tape and wanted to comment on the discussion posts I have read. Regardless of which of our tapes you are using we would expect them to stick to the surface especially painted walls, trim, glass, metal, and other common surfaces you would typically mask before painting taking into consideration the surface has been properly prepped, cleaned, and prepared. If you have a roll of tape that is not performing as expected we would ask you contact us directly through our website at www.scotchblue.com or by calling our customer service group at 800-494-3552. We want to make sure our products are meeting the high standards our customers have come to expect.
"You're my boy, Blue!"
-Will Ferrill

pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote