Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |

Blistering paint

I have a peculiar problem in one of my rooms. We repainted several months ago (~4-5) and today I noticed that there is an area about a square foot large where the paint is blistering. We've been working in this room since we painted it, so I know that this is a recent development.

When I felt the wall in this area, it is warm to the touch, warmer than any of the other wall areas. I looked outside, and there is nothing on the exterior wall that is different in that one spot, either. It's a couple of feet from an electrical receptacle, but the wall between it and the receptacle is cool and not blistered. Also, it's higher than the receptacle, so I don't believe the wiring goes through that area.

Suggestions?
preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Blistering paint

Well something is causing the paint to lose its adhesion. Ordinarily I would think this because the surface underneath was not primed and you were trying to put latex over oil or something. It could also be a moisture problem. The fact that it is noticeably warm to the touch suggests to me there might be some sort of chemical reaction going on with the paint or even inside the wall for some reason but why it would be lasting so long is perplexing. Since you say there is no wiring in there that you know of and it is a couple feet from the outlet with cold walls in between it is probably not electrical. No water or vent lines in there either? Heating ducts in the walls for some reason? Quite baffling.

Anything generating noticeable heat would make me nervous. Hope others on this site can help you track it down.

Last edited by user1007; 10-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Blistering paint

Anything generating noticeable heat would make me nervous.

Me to
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
(the original)

Blistering paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Anything generating noticeable heat would make me nervous.

Me to
And I'll third that.... I'd cut out that section and see if there's something wrong behind it. If there isn't, then it's a chemical reaction of some kind and you need to get rid of it anyway. No telling what it might be outgassing.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote