Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Blending cement ceilings in condo

We have removed a closet to extend the kitchen. The kitchen ceiling has a smooth finish. The section we removed had stucco. We have removed the stucco and are now ready to blend the ceilings. The issue is that the existing smooth ceiling has a drop of about 1/8" and we have no idea how to get the bare cement to drop down to meet the existing smooth ceiling. Is there are product or technique that will drop the cement ceiling down 1/8" to meet seamlessly?

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Blending cement ceilings in condo

The only thing I can think of off-hand is to "over-rock" the lower ceiling with 1/2" sheetrock, and the higher one with 5/8"
The tape seems (covered with joint compound) between the two should hide any (if any) leftover height difference

Not sure how you'd get the 'rock to stick to cement
Furring strips should work, but it'll lower it more than 1/8", and you'll need to shim out the 'lower side' to compensate

A drop ceiling would work and probably be easier/cheaper, but you need a fair amount of room to work one of those in...a few inches won't do it

A plasterer might be able to "fill in" the higher ceiling with a few layers
But that's beyond my area of expertise (i.e. Although I'm a devout DIYer, I'd call a plasterer for a project like that/this...I wouldn't want to have the whole thing start to fall down on me later)

Other than those, you may want to consider keeping the rise and blending it in with a subtle incline

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote