DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blending ceiling patch with existing sheet-rock (slight texture)

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gmhut 
#1 · (Edited)
Remodeling home (built in 70s). Repairing what I thought was water damage at the corner of AC vent in ceiling. Looked like it had been wet and dried many times leaving a lumpy blob (assumed it was from AC condensation over many years). Removed vent cover, made exploratory hole and discovered it was actually sloppy duct work form original construction. One corner of duct hung down almost an inch below ceiling joist, sheet-rock was forced to cover it and mangled (about a 3-4 inch oval/triangle shape). Many paint jobs later looked like soggy sheet-rock.

Repairing by cutting hole in ceiling, and combo of reforming duct corner and adding wood frame between joists to lift duct higher and patching with new sheet-rock. Patch will be around 2-3 and a half foot square/rectangle. Will span across joists to nail into and have enough room to splice to existing sheet-rock with wood backing strips, then cut new vent hole.

Existing ceiling has a slight texture. Not popcorn, not knock down. In fact, not sure it's an actual texture or just a funky paint job. Almost looks like an overly saturated paint roller was half rolled, half dragged without rolling – kind of a loose semi-haring bone pattern. Seems like too large of an area and too consistent to be accidental.

To the point:

- Does the above sound like an actual texturing method (built in 70s) that I can reproduce to match fresh sheet-rock patch to existing ceiling?

- If so, what's it called and how do I duplicate it?

- If not, is there a relatively easy DIY solution for non-professional that I can apply to conceal patch and retexture whole ceiling. Looking for something very subtle that doesn't need special skill or experience to apply. Some textured roller perhaps? (don't want to spray anything)

- Can you apply knockdown (with joint compound) over existing paint?

- Is it possible to get a very slightly subtle version of typical knockdown?

- When scraping for final step of knockdown, what's the technique to avoid "scraper marks" (if I even have to worry about that) — long even strokes that slightly overlap (like the lawn more pattern when cutting grass) or short, arching, semi-random strokes?

I'd prefer something even more subtle than knockdown (would prefer no texture at all but sanding off existing 'texture' on entire ceiling is too time consuming and don't have the money to hire out for skim coating or the skills to do it my self). My main goal is to blend the patch with the existing ceiling, not necessarily to achieve 'designer' texture effect — open to any suggestions if there's another solution you can offer.

Thanks for any suggestions, advice, info, etc.

g.

See less See more
#4 ·
I tried to take some pictures but the texture didn't really show up that well. I took a bit the sheet-rock I cut away to get at the duct work to a paint store. The employee consensus there was that it was a paint texture and I should look for a texture roller they didn't have (described as having some sort of webbing) and that I should retexture the whole ceiling and the fresh sheet-rock patch withit. I'll try again later to see if I can get better pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.