Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

Black paint with eggshell finish?

Hello everyone! I am turning a room in my house into a music studio, so I decided to paint the walls black. I went with a matte finish, and while it looks amazing, light scuff marks appear on the walls even if the wall is rubbed/touched lightly. I've always heard not to go with a glossy sheen when painting walls black, so would an eggshell finish reflect too much? I have a drop ceiling and plan on using recessed incandescent lighting if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

RBlack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Dark colors- and black is as dark as you can get- have so much pigment in them that is problem is common.

What paint did you use, exactly?

One solution is to coat it with a matte or flat clear coat. Most clears that say low sheen are really more than you think- so if you go that route check back here for recommendations- First- what did you use?

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

It's Dutch Boy Dimensons Matte/flat I do believe, nothing fancy. I think the color was Black Leather if I'm not mistaken, so it's not a solid black, more of a really dark charcoal
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Dutch boy is not too top , but I'd have to do some research to come up with an alternative.
Here's my suggestion. Make a sample board or two with your Dutch boy, and then get one of the following
Pratt and Lambert "Dull" acrylic clear, Modern Masters Dead flat . Hmm.
Only available by internet order is Target coating Em2000 waterborne Alkyd clear.
Water clears are also hard to apply. They dry quick. Extenders and water help alot. Target was the easiest for me, but was more of an eggshell or higher in sheen compared to paint sheens.
All depends how much you are willing to put into making this work.
Another quicker solution is to get a waterborne glaze, thin with water and extender about equal parts , and wash with a rag. Will put a harder surface on, but will knock the sheen up to more of an eggshell. Might change the look, but could be cool.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

I'll look into it, if it's not too expensive I may just go for it. The room is pretty small, it's 12x14. while I do like the flat finish, I'm not opposed to an eggshell, I have just heard that when painting a wall a dark/black color, to stay away from glossier finishes. I'm just unsure if eggshell will be too glossy and just well, not look good!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

The more I think about it- the glaze wash would really be the easiest. BM or Modern Masters glaze. ( Forget the box stores) Would probably only need 1 qt of glaze, + = water and extender. Id use BM extender- or XIM if you can find it. Forget flotrol. Get a tshirt quality rag and literally wash the walls with this solution. Be random, not in any pattern, Some of the movement will show. Do it twice, will be higher sheen but bullet proof.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

Sounds easy enough, I'll look into it, thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

You could do the above mentioned but a downfall is if you ever go to repaint it you would have to sand the walls if you want to maintain the adhesion properly. I would suggest you buy a matte finish is a highly washable and scrubbable product such as duration by sherwin williams. I have it on my walls in a matte finish and can get just about anything off of it without leaving a mark.
jallen8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Not actually true- adhesion is easy , particularly if primed with an acrylic primer, to a waterborne glaze. And a quick sand on all walls before painting is a good idea.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Also - does Duration come in BlacK? I was going to suggest BM Aura, which beats duration hands down , but I know it doesn't come in black.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #11

Any color you like
jallen8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #12

If you are looking for a glaze product without any sheen at all, try Faux Like a Pro. Their glaze is dead flat. You can add colorants, acrylic craft paints, or regular flat paint and still get a dead flat sheen. If you add eggshell or semi you will then have some sheen to the glaze. I buy it online and a little goes a very long way!!!!!! (I am not associated with the company) I love this glaze because of the long working time and the dead flat sheen!!!!!!!
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #13

If you want a LOW SHEEN so the finish doesn't get any marks, JUST RECOAT A SECOND COAT with a velvet finish in pure BLACK!!! For instance, I sell Pratt and Lambert paints. What I would sell u is Pratt and Lambert's interior accolade velvet finish. Find a store that sells it (shouldn't be more than 36.95 retail) and tell them to use base three and put 11 ounces of black colorant into and wallah! BLACK PAINT WITH A LOW SHINE that is cheaper than put a low sheen clear coat finish (which usually retails around fourty bucks on the low end)
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheart14 View Post
wallah!

Voilą?
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #15

Wallah may refer to: Wallah (Arabic), an oath meaning "By Allah";

ebaygolfer is offline   Reply With Quote