Big Thanks To The Forum On Paint Brands - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Big Thanks to the Forum on Paint Brands

Hi All,

I'm a forum newbie - I joined because I wanted to paint the interior of a newly purchased house and had intended to use Behr paint because it's easily available, inexpensive, has great colors and was highly rated by Consumer's Reports.

Before buying paint, I googled "Behr reviews" and came across this forum.

After reading all of the posts about Behr, I was skeptical that it could be as bad as everyone on this board seems to think but decided to do an experiment - I purchased a few Behr samples and samples in similar colors from the local paint stores - Benjamin Moore, Kelly Moore, Sherwin Williams and Dunn Edwards - and applied all of them to the same wall.

All I can say is, wow - you guys are absolutely right. The Behr was not good - it went on like glop, didn't really hold a wet edge, sagged and would have required 3-4 coats to cover a wall that was painted a medium brown; it also reeked. In contrast, all of the other paints were far easier to use, covered much better and were low or no odor. We decided to use Dunn Edwards and I spent the weekend doing what turned into an easy repaint instead of pulling out my hair.

So you guys are absolutely right - once you try good paint, you won't want to use anything else. Thanks for the info and the education!

Advertisement

jckloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

jckloo - one of biggest things I've learned from the pros and more experienced people on here is product quality... there is a BIG difference, and that goes against the cheapness in me - but you did the right thing, I learned the hardway, after the fact about some paint products taht shall remain nameless

Advertisement

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Yep, sorry if it offends anyone but Behr paint is pure garbage. If you really can only afford $25 a gallon, then we can steer you to some brands like Pittsburg or even the lesser lines of the real paint bands. That way you can atleast not make things worse with sagging peeling garbage.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote