Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best white board paint

Hello all,

I am painting a room for my 9 year old daughter. She would like one wall to be a dry erase surface. I have done some research and found dry erase paint $20 to $200. My daughter has a small board now and she uses it every day. I want something that will hold up, erase cleanly without ghosting, etc.. I don't know if this is a case of "you get what you pay for." Has any one used or would recommend one product over another.

Thank you

dincanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,128

Best white board paint

If it was mine I would just a piece of drywall over what you have now sititng horizontal and paint just that. That way when her needs change of it does not work out all you do is remove the piece of drywall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Best white board paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dincanta View Post
Hello all,

I am painting a room for my 9 year old daughter. She would like one wall to be a dry erase surface. I have done some research and found dry erase paint $20 to $200. My daughter has a small board now and she uses it every day. I want something that will hold up, erase cleanly without ghosting, etc.. I don't know if this is a case of "you get what you pay for." Has any one used or would recommend one product over another.

Thank you

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=128

I think you can get it a HD
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best white board paint

This appears to be a two part product so it is no doubt an epoxy or other plastic resin system. Remember at some point you will have to deal with it when she grows out of it? From experience, those white board markers bleed through just about anything and even the best white boards seem to be only about 99.9 percent resistant to them.

I think you should at least price some white board panels at a plastic shop you could hang and remove when she outgrows them as an alternative to painting. You could have some fun and hang them in the middle of that wallpaper designed for kids to color. Less is more may be what I am getting at here.

I guess $20 for a kit to cover 50sf is worth a shot? One thing that concerns me for no real reason is the competitive, clear, dry marker products are 10 times that in cost.

Last edited by user1007; 11-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,478

Best white board paint

You can get a 4x8 sheet of, for lack of a better word plastic coated, board that looks and works exactly like white board and if memory serves me well (probably not ) its only around $13. I will look it up and see what it is really called if your interested.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Best white board paint

Agree with joecaption. Kids love for things keep changing. My daughter is 12 and she has a cupboard full of Barbies and barbie stuff which she hardly even looks at. It cost us a fortune to buy all that. The other day when I asked her what is she going to do with her collection. She said give it away , I don't care. 3 years ago they were her life nobody was even allowed to touch them. sigh!
guynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 296

Best white board paint

Idea Paint makes products for this purpose. Rustoleum also has this type of paint.

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote