Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Best White, Benjamin Moore, for Molding/Trim

Hi,

I am repainting my house and I'd like to pick out a nice, clean, semi-gloss bright white for much of the molding/trim in different parts of the house.

I looked at their paper samples, and by just with my eyes, I picked out a color called Snow-White 2122-70. It just looks the whitest to my eyes. Can anyone recommend something they have used that might be similar or better? My current molding is a nice, bright white in semi-gloss but I forgot where I got it and the name of the color.

I'm getting all my paint from Benjamin Moore.

Thanks.

Trudijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

You probably just want the basic bright white semi-gloss latex enamel. If possible, remove a piece of painted trim and have it scanned for a match.

You could try the BJ Impervo "White dove: WTF...just call it white.

BJ Regal is the classic BJ product.

I prefer Sherwin williams paints. For trim and doors I use their Pro-Classic "Extra White" semi-gloss.

If you still need some help picking go to a paint store. They should be able to guide you to what their pro customers are buying. PAinting the trim bright white is a pretty common approach.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #3

Beerdor,
Thanks for your quick answer.

I have worked with a colorist for most of my house and she uses mostly Benjamin White paints but not exclusively. That's why I was looking for a white at BJ.

I'll check out the White Dove, and maybe I'll take a trip to Sherwin Williams and look at both samples, then decide.

What do you mean when you say Regal is the classic BJ product?

Trudijane
Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #4

Regal has been their flagship latex for along time. It is their basic high quality interior latex.

I would think "bright white" is a basic color you should be able to get anywhere. Is there a BJ store in your area?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
Regal has been their flagship latex for along time. It is their basic high quality interior latex.

I would think "bright white" is a basic color you should be able to get anywhere. Is there a BJ store in your area?
Beerdog,
There is a BJ store a few minutes away from me. What I'm asking is the name of their "brightest white." They gave me a white pallet and by looking at it I came up with "Snow White", but whites are hard to compare. I thought someone on here would know a specific name so i can buy some tomorrow.

Thanks much.
Trudijane
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #6

Why can't they keep it simple! You would think the marketing folks would at least give us one simple name white. Maybe ask them what shade people normally buy for white trim. Or get the SW Extra White color card and have the other store match it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Why can't they keep it simple! You would think the marketing folks would at least give us one simple name white. Maybe ask them what shade people normally buy for white trim. Or get the SW Extra White color card and have the other store match it.
Actually, last night i found a gallon of the old KM paint that says white molding on top, so it probably is what I used a long time ago.Problem is, I couldn't open it! I think I will bring this can to BJ and ask them to open it and match it to their whitest white!!

I was looking at much of my white molding last night, and I really don't think that much of it has to be redone, except for a few touchups. The molding is still in pretty good shape. OR maybe the old paint is still useable. I'll see.
Trudijane
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

I have been told paint will not go bad as long as it does not freeze. Just have to shake it really good.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudijane View Post
Beerdog,
There is a BJ store a few minutes away from me. What I'm asking is the name of their "brightest white." They gave me a white pallet and by looking at it I came up with "Snow White", but whites are hard to compare. I thought someone on here would know a specific name so i can buy some tomorrow.

Thanks much.
Trudijane
Benjamin Moore's Brightest White is called "Super White" and it is available in ready mixed package in the Regal Line, so you don't even really need to look at paint chips.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I have been told paint will not go bad as long as it does not freeze. Just have to shake it really good.
THat's mostly true, but paint can spoil as well if proper preservatives are not used by the manufacturer.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #11

Hi,
I did wind up buying ultra-white or super-white at BM which is already pre-mixed and I've done a few areas with it and am completely satisfied with the color and finish~ Thanks everyone.

You know, since I'm on the topic of molding and browsing Lowes, 2 out of 3 of my upstairs rooms have 3-4 inch crown molding which I feel really looks nicer, rather than flat (I used to live with a contractor and he just didn't get around to putting up molding in the third room What I did was buy the natural wood, and painted it white myself, then had them put up. I've noticed that they have a lot of different already finished "white molding" in the stores that would probably look just as nice and save me the effort of painting. Is the difference in just the expense. I have enough to paint as it is.

Thank you.
Trudijane
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #12

All of the pre-finished moldings I have seen at home centers are made of plastic. You can get pre-primed moldings made of mdf which may save you a coat or two of paint, but really must be finish coated.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
Trudijane (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #13

What I have learned over the years is the following approach to mouldings. Prime and one finish coat prior to installation. Then caulk small gaps at joints and between walls. Then final finish coat. Trim paints real fast when it is laying flat so it is not that much work. Buying preprimed saves more time, but you are probably getting a far inferior primer when compared to a BM or SW primer.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
What I have learned over the years is the following approach to mouldings. Prime and one finish coat prior to installation. Then caulk small gaps at joints and between walls. Then final finish coat. Trim paints real fast when it is laying flat so it is not that much work. Buying preprimed saves more time, but you are probably getting a far inferior primer when compared to a BM or SW primer.
I painted the ones that are already up as follows. I painted them beforehand to save me the trouble of painting them once they were up! I put a coat of primer on them, and did a good job painting over that with a semi-gloss white, then had someone cut and put them up and they look fine. I never felt the necessity to put another coat on them once they were up and all gaps were filled in.

For the ones that are up now, since I'm using a new shade of white - I have to repaint the molding, but I don't intend to paint the new molding once they are up.

Trudijane
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

The idea behind caulking and then a final coat is it make the trim look like it has perfect fit to the wall and all joints. If you just caulk it could yellow over time. You really don't have to caulk but it makes a big visual difference. If you use a basic painters latex caulk you just lay down a very small bead where the caulk meets the wall/ceiling and at joints. Then sponge away the excess with a damp sponge. Let it dry and then paint. I guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.

In a away I wish I never learned this. Everythingw as fine the way it was. Now I must do it everytime I paint or I notice the small gaps.

Tags
benjamin moore, molding, semi-gloss, trim, whites