Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to paint stained base and door molding

As the title says, I'm going to be painting my base molding and window/door molding. Some of the door moldings need to be replaced which is a different topic. The base molding was put on before the hardwood floors. I was planning on taking off the molding, fixing and dings and holes, sanding it, then painting it. Since it will be hard to take the base molding off with the hardwood right against it I am looking into painting it while it is on the wall.

I want to prep the wood correctly so the paint will stick without ruining the walls or hardwood. What's the best way to prep and paint these? Carefully sand them and use a primer before painting (or maybe a primer and paint in one)?

h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

It's all got to be sanded, bonding primer them a high quality paint, which will not be a primer and paint in one.
Paints not going to stay stuck without sanding and primer.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's all got to be sanded, bonding primer them a high quality paint, which will not be a primer and paint in one.
Paints not going to stay stuck without sanding and primer.
Can the sanding be done with the molding on the wall or is it best to remove it?

Do you have a good primer and a good paint you recommend?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Near imposable to remove that base without some damage since it was installed first.
There's going to be nails at the very bottom below the flooring, you would have to pry it back away from the wall at the top and use a sawall to cut off the lower nails.
I just use my Toe Kick saw standing on end and cut along the floor, then use an ossilating saw on the ends. What's below the flooring I just leave in place.
A whole lot easyer to just leave in place unless it's really beat up.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Just leave it.
sand with 100 grit or so( lightly)
clean
prime with Zinnsers 123 or Smartprime if you can find it
paint with a good semi gloss paint

done, move on
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-29-2013), user1007 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Near imposable to remove that base without some damage since it was installed first.
There's going to be nails at the very bottom below the flooring, you would have to pry it back away from the wall at the top and use a sawall to cut off the lower nails.
I just use my Toe Kick saw standing on end and cut along the floor, then use an ossilating saw on the ends. What's below the flooring I just leave in place.
A whole lot easyer to just leave in place unless it's really beat up.
They are dinged a little but that is something I can fix while they are still on. Fixing and sanding would definitely be easier off the wall but like you said it will be hard to remove the molding that was installed before the floor.

I'm going to give it a shot with them all on. There are some gaps so I may add a few nails and use caulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Just leave it.
sand with 100 grit or so( lightly)
clean
prime with Zinnsers 123 or Smartprime if you can find it
paint with a good semi gloss paint

done, move on
Thanks, I believe the HD near me sells the Zinnsers. I'll be going there after work.

Last edited by h22lude; 05-29-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If the floor is done and the walls are painted you risk doing more damage pullling the trim off and reinstalling it then dealing with it in place.

I would add caulking between the trim and walls to your project list. I hate seeing a nicely painted project where someone did not take the time to caulk.

Then prep and use a nice primer/underlay and semi and be almost done. Cut in and touch up where your trim paint hit the wall and you are done.

Use a minimal tack wide masking tape or painter's tape to protect your floor if you are not sure of your skills with a nice, quality 2.5-3" angled sash brush (hint, hint).

I cannot get you off your knees on this one. Sorry.

Last edited by user1007; 05-29-2013 at 09:08 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
Thanks, I believe the HD near me sells the Zinnsers. I'll be going there after work.
My real paint dealer is open until 9 and sells Zinsser primer. SW sells a great primer/underlay for trim and might be worth a lunch break trip. Both places also sell nice Benjamin Moore or SW.

If you were to go early, they open at 6, you might find the one thing you never will at HD, a real painter or two lined up waiting for orders. You can ask questions of them. Unless you grab the frosted jelly filled donut and the last cup of real coffee. Nothing like a painter starting the day on decaf. And a real, full time employee that was not working the garden section or was fast tracked up minutes before you arrived because the greeters at the door in aprons all quit will be behind the counter to help you.

Last edited by user1007; 05-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote