Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Best way to paint cabinets

Hi,
I'm new to painting cabinet so I need advise on best way to do it.
------------------------------
Paint:
1. I have already purchased a trim primer and paint, best they had at Sherwin-Williams, based on some help from other thread here. (Boy, it's expensive). Can it be used to paint cabinets since it's supposed to give nice smooth finish?
2. There are some paints specifically made for cabinets at home improvement center, but I'm not sure about the quality, and quality is what I'm looking for.
3. My sister-in-law had some custom shelf cabinets painted at her job (as a favor, they do it for cabinets they build) and she told me that they use some special paint that is mixed with some "hardener" if I understood her correctly. I like the finish she has on her cabinets, but I'm not sure where to get this kind of paint.
------------------------------
Method:
My options are:
1. Good quality brush (got one)
2. Good quality roller (don't have one, but if needed, which one should I get?)
3. Sprayer (I have Airless Graco sprayer that I have used once on a few doors with mixed results, probably lack of my experience, and most paint ended up on the floor, cause I was too far, afraid to put too much paint, but I'm willing to give it another try)
4. HVLP sprayer (don't have one, but if this is the preferred method, I can get one)

Please help. I really rather repaints my laundry and 3 bathroom cabinets than buy new ones, since they are in a good shape, construction wise.

Last edited by robercik72; 12-20-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling correction
robercik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #2

I repainted my kitchen cabinets with great results. Here's what I did:

1) Stripped old poly finish (took 2 applications for me). I had real wood cabinets, if you have pressboard, I don't recommend this step.
2) Wipe down cabinets with mineral spirits to neutralize stripper. (you won't need to do this unless you stripped the cabinets).
3) I filled all holes and dings with wood putty
4) I sanded them thoroughly. First with 120 grit, then with 220 grit until they were really smooth
5) I bought a brand new brush (quality is important, don't skimp). I bought 3 new brushes and did each coat with a new brush. This was to ensure perfect coats since it was the highly visible kitchen. you're bathroom and laundry can likely get away with using the same brush.
6) I applied a primer coat
7) I applied the first finish coat of semi-gloss paint (easier to clean and more durable than eggshell)
8) I applied the final finish coat

Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Do a little searching here and you will find this answered many times, but heres a quickie-

-Unless you know ( really know) how to set up for spray and use the sprayer- don't.

-Prep- clean thoroughly, scuff sand ( remove present gloss for adheasion)

-Prime with a good bonding primer( I like Zin 123 or Smart Prime- some will recommend oil like Cover stain)

-very lightly sand after prime- apply 2 coats - could be brushed on or rolled on or rolled on to apply material and "tipped off " with a brush ( my fav)

IF you went to SW- you have Pro Classic waterborne? in Satin?
This is not an easy thing to get perfect without LOTS of practice.
Gymschu (12-20-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #4

I recently painted my cabinets and had very good luck with the foam rollers that Lowes or Home Depot sells. For the sake of getting paint everywhere, I had a brush in one hand to put the paint on the cabinet, then ran the roller over it. Maybe more work than it needed to be, but I didn't have brush lines everywhere.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws450r View Post
I recently painted my cabinets and had very good luck with the foam rollers that Lowes or Home Depot sells. For the sake of getting paint everywhere, I had a brush in one hand to put the paint on the cabinet, then ran the roller over it. Maybe more work than it needed to be, but I didn't have brush lines everywhere.
WS, I admire your use of the foam rollers. I've never had much luck with them. They don't hold enough paint and they tend to skid from time to time living skid marks in your paint job. I prefer a mohair roller cover or a whizz roller cover for cabinets.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
WS, I admire your use of the foam rollers. I've never had much luck with them. They don't hold enough paint and they tend to skid from time to time living skid marks in your paint job. I prefer a mohair roller cover or a whizz roller cover for cabinets.
Well like I said, I probably didn't use them how they are supposed to be used. I put a coat of paint on the cabinets with the brush first, and then took the roller over it, leaving no brush marks. I actually think they hold a lot of paint, but when you get to much on them, that's where you start to see them skidding. The key was to roll it lightly, and not like you would use a roller of paint on a wall. To each their own I guess.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

I do just the opposite- roll on the material and lay off with a brush.
With the mat tweeked you get very little brush strokes, but i really don't like any roller stipple. And there is always places that have to have a brush, so you would get 2 different kinds of look.
Gymschu (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
ltd

foam rollers bad ,brush good. for cabinets i don't let any kind of roller near them .nothing screams diy than a foam roller. sherwin williams pro classic water ,or waterborne alkyd a 2 1/2 purdy flat brush
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

Brushjockey, ltd, I, too like the look of a magical brushed on finish. I use the whizz roller to get the paint on the cabinets, then back brush to avoid the orange peel. The Proclassic levels to a buttery smooth finish that is hard to beat.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (12-21-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #10

I'll just add that prepwork is crucial to the finish. actually applying the finish coats is not the hardest part, its making sure the surface is very fine beforehand.

clean well, sand smooth using multiple grits, prime as if its a finish coat.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet, cabinet paint