Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #1

Share |

best way to get wall paper off

Hi all. My new house has old lady wall paper in the entryway, and in the kitchen. What is the quickest and easiest way to get it off? I want to paint there instead of having wallpaper.

I have heard of a few methods, but I was hoping someone here could speak from personal experience.

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
DIY staff

I've removed a lot---

Here is the method I usually use---protect the floor---

Pull off the face of the paper if you can---some good vinyl papers have a face strong enough to lift a corner and pull.

If not--get a pump up garden sprayer--hot water and DIF----spray it--then spray it again-and again until it loosens up---

If repeated spraying is going nowhere--use a Paper Tiger tool to perforate the surface. then spray---

Use a 6" drywall blade to help----scrub the walls with a green scrub pad to remove the paste from the sheets as you go---wipe with cotton rags--

Skim coat damaged drywall and sand---then prime the entire area with Gardz---(spelling?)

Gymschu (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might use the search function to find many threads on this topic but most commonly you will find the suggestion of using plain water and a garden tank sprayer common. You should also have a thin, wide, flexible drywall knife. And you will need some patience to work in small sections.

Your goal is to dissolve the paste behind the paper and to do that you cannot be shy about the amount of water you apply to the paper. You want to create a soggy mess. So if you have nice wood floors, make sure you buy some plastic tarps. And having some contractor type trash bags handy to stick what you scrape off in would be nice too.

Many of us have done it too many times so I speak for all I hope in saying it is not one of the tasks any of us look forward to. It is worth the effort though.

Sorry to sound like I was duplicating what Oh'Mike said. We hit the button at the same time and then I edited some typos.

Last edited by user1007; 06-03-2013 at 06:30 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
DIY staff

Steve---after removing paper many times---most of us end up using about the same method-----

Just pray that the paper was installed over a well painted wall---
When you find one installed over the builders primer--you will be in for a mess,as the drywall mud will melt and need recoating---
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Indeed true. And I guess I have to adjust my thinking. The OP said it was old lady paper so I assumed she meant on an antique home and quite probably on nicely painted or sized walls from the 1800s to the 1920s. Had a birthday this week, and realize I am will be ten years past official antique car age next year! The OP could be talking about the hippy dippy flower power paper of the 60s and 70s! That is about the time "pre-geezers" of my era would have tried to paper themselves using the most hideous of techniques and materials.

Hopefully her challenge dates to an era when people hired paperhangers. Not all, from my observation, were the greatest at booking the paper or getting seams matched over pattern repeats or corners adjusted for square and plumb? Almost all sized or painted walls and applied paper properly. There were of course those that did not remove prior paper and papered over it---14 times.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
DIY staff

I had to remove paper over brand new carpet and used 30" wide carpet protector like a giant roll of Scotch tape---laid out heavy plastic over the rug--taped it to the base boards with the carpet protector---

Several layers of cloth tarps---covered with plastic---worked well--
user1007 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

Using hot water sometimes helps. Be patient when wetting the wall let it set 10 or 15 minutes then wet it again before you ever start scrapping. Can also add a little fabric softener to the water makes the house smell good and the paper won't dry out as fast while you are trying to scrap it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

All good advice given here. The absolute key to the whole process is PATIENCE. Wet, rewet, wet again, and rewet. Wait a few minutes and repeat. Keep wetting the paper over and over. With patience, you can literally pull the paper off in big sheets......again, if the wall was properly prepped.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-08-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

fabric softener and warm water.
mix 1/3 softener and 2/3 water.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html