Best Way To Apply Drylok? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Best way to apply Drylok?

I searched and read a lot of posts on Drylok, none about application. We tried to get started this weekend on the unfinished poured walls of my 72'x24' basement. Knew a sprayer wouldn't work, couldn't get the power roller to take it either. We ended up slapping it on with an 3" brush and then finishing it with a 3/4" hand roller. In two days we are through 5 gallons, not half done.

THere has to be a better way... input?

Advertisement

Last edited by moneymgmt; 01-18-2012 at 09:44 AM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I used to have a humongous brush for such things. I have also used a much thicker nap roller like 1" or even 1.5 inch which worked reasonably well. Either option is going to give your wrists and forearms a workout. Hope you have adequate ventilation! That stuff will get to you faster than you realize in a closed space.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 01-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Unfortunately Money, you have to brush the first coat on. It has to be worked into the pores, not laid on top like a roller would apply. The second coat can be rolled. Why don't you pay someone to do it? From UGL website:
APPLICATION

STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE
AND DURING APPLICATION. DO
NOT THIN. Paint only when air and surface temperatures are 50F or higher. Apply Latex Base DRYLOK
Masonry Waterproofer directly on
bare masonry. For best waterproofing results, wait for a dry (rain-free) period before application. Apply first coat with DRYLOK BRUSH or good quality nylon bristle brush working the WATERPROOFER into the pores of the masonry - avoid excessive brushing (see COVERAGE). APPLY
TWO COATS. Allow to dry 3 hours between coats. The second coat may be applied by brush, roller or spray.
For information on spray application, write UGL and ask for Spray
Specification Sheet D-88.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

I use a wide brush made for coating a roof. That way I can add a handle.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Unfortunately Money, you have to brush the first coat on. It has to be worked into the pores, not laid on top like a roller would apply. The second coat can be rolled. Why don't you pay someone to do it? From UGL website:
APPLICATION

STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE
AND DURING APPLICATION. DO
NOT THIN. Paint only when air and surface temperatures are 50F or higher. Apply Latex Base DRYLOK
Masonry Waterproofer directly on
bare masonry. For best waterproofing results, wait for a dry (rain-free) period before application. Apply first coat with DRYLOK BRUSH or good quality nylon bristle brush working the WATERPROOFER into the pores of the masonry - avoid excessive brushing (see COVERAGE). APPLY
TWO COATS. Allow to dry 3 hours between coats. The second coat may be applied by brush, roller or spray.
For information on spray application, write UGL and ask for Spray
Specification Sheet D-88.
Thats about the way I did it. Used a mason paint brush on the 1st coat and rolled the 2nd coat with the thickest nap roller I could find. Worked out great for me........

Except for the fumes that ended up coming in my respirator, making me damn sick.........and reliving dreams from my college days.........
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I use Wooster Polar Bear roller covers to lay it on and then backbrush the first coat with at least a 4 inch brush to work it in. The Polar Bear alone does well on the second coat with minimal brushing.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Thanks all. Guess I'll look for a bigger brush!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

The stiffer the brush the better, within reason. They recommend bristle but nylon works fine and if you do the work over a period of time is much easier to repeatedly clean.

I have waterproofed three large basements with Dryloc over years so I know it well. Yes you will develop thick wrists. Yes it is a bear. And yes doing it right takes time because it's one of those jobs where proper preparation is both crucial and time consuming. Sounds like you have a recently built basement so that part is probably pretty straightforward.

I have found the way to make it manageable is to just chalk off sections of the wall...say 6' wide, and do them over a period of time, like one section every evening. Get a paddle mixer for your drill to mix it in the bucket, and a stiff nylon brush which is easy to clean. It's much less mind and wrist numbing of you only have to do 30 minutes of it a day.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Where can I find the brushes you guys are talking about? The Depot doesn't seem to have anything in line with that, at least not in the paint dept.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Where can I find the brushes you guys are talking about? The Depot doesn't seem to have anything in line with that, at least not in the paint dept.
Most local "mom & pop" hardware stores carry the brushes as well as concrete mixing companies.......my local hardware store has them as well as my local sand & gravel plant......
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Most local "mom & pop" hardware stores carry the brushes as well as concrete mixing companies.......my local hardware store has them as well as my local sand & gravel plant......
I saw some at PPG Porter Paints as well.
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

A well stocked paint store should have large brushes at fat roller covers.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote