Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Best Stain for Vetiacal Cedar Siding

I was looking to reduce maintenance and increase curb appeal and thought I might replace my Cedar siding so I started a thread here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/shoul...0/#post1133118
After some discussion I decided to keep my existing siding and started asking questions about stain at which time a member suggested I post here. So here is my situation. My siding is close to 30 years old. It is Western Red Cedar tongue and groove with the rough side out. It is installed over 1/2" foam board and all nailing is hidden in the groove. It came factory stained with Olympic Semi Transparent oil stain (natural cedar). I pressured washed sometime around the 6 year mark using this product again. This was the best product I have used but the same forumla is no longer available. Since then I have use Wolman F&P and also Wolman Raincoat with ok results. I have also used Olympic Maximum, which is now their top of the line oil based stain, on a new cedar fence about 5 years ago and it seems to be holding up well. My current plan is to pressure wash again down to new cedar and stain again using the Olympic maximum semi-transparent (natural cedar color). My only difference from in the past is that I will reapply the stain every other year (without the pressure washing) hoping to get the longest life. The link I provided to my original thread has some pics and additional info. Any thoughts or product recommendations wil be greatly appreciated.
I have also been following the Consumer Reports long term stain tests and it seems like they really are not to impressed with any of the semi-transparents.

Last edited by mpnret; 03-14-2013 at 10:01 AM.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

I'm a big believer in sticking with what has worked for you in the past.......so, in your case, I'd stick with the Olympic. You might have to ask questions to find out which of the most recent formulations are closest to what you originally had that worked so well.

If you are looking to try something new.......well, I have had great luck with Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes stains. In most cases I get 8-10 years out of the Woodscapes line before having to restain. I do have a job to do this spring that I did 4 years ago.......a coffee color on some cedar siding that is looking somewhat "washed" out because it's in the direct sunlight......but that's the only job I can think of that has prematurely aged. Anyway, give the Woodscapes a "look-see."

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronjohn View Post
Keeping all it work together will give much awareness to develop each criteria in designing the driveway.
???????
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote