Best Stain For New Redwood Fence - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best stain for new redwood fence

I have been researching stains and need advice about the best to use. I live in California and checked out Penofin Ultra Premium for the UV protection and Cabot Pro VT. It's a new redwood fence and much of it is on the south side.

Any thoughts as to what is best?

Gina

Advertisement

gina's old house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I like to use Cabbots or also Sikkens. Both are pricey though.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Tux Stain from Extreme Solutions. http://www.woodrich-brand.com/

I have used it on numerous occasions on decks and I know of many that use it on fences. This stuff rocks. There are those that don't like, tho' I can't understand why. I apply it with a bug sprayer and back brush with a 24" concrete brush. Only problem I ever had was applying too heavy, and it was an easy fix.

Visit: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/

The site is set up more towards power washing, and wood resto, but there is a wealth of information regarding the do's and don'ts.

No matter what product you decide to use, take your time and get the knowledge to do it right. Fixing a oopsie after the fact is really expensive.
Able Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

One Time Wood, again it's pricey. I believe the website is OneTimeWood.com, but not sure. Not many stores carry it, the website will tell you who carries it nearest to you.

I used the red cedar color on my new cedar fence three years ago. Still looks gorgeous.

A rule of thumb I was told, for every $10 you pay per gallon, you can expect it to last that many years. For a $30 gallon of stain/sealer, expect it to last 3 years. For an $80 gallon, expect it to last 8 years. The fence company told me that, and they didn't sell it, so they weren't profitting by telling me that.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote