Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Best stain for a large deck and privacy fence?

I have a large deck and privacy fence that needs staining. They are both way over do. Does anybody know a bout this new stain called Restore by Rust-oleum? It looks good from what I've read. How about Behr Deck Over stain? Would love the input.

Homerlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Both are not a stain, there a coating that goes on the decking only.
The one's I've seen wore off where the main traffic pattern was.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

You might as well buy all new fence panels for the amount of money you are going to put into doing a "Deckover" treatment. It's expensive compared to regular stain and it's a relatively new product so we don't know too much about its' longevity.

Clean off all the dirt and mildew and try Deckscapes or Woodscapes from Sherwin Williams. Much better products than Deckover, Restore, or anything from Behr.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
You might as well buy all new fence panels for the amount of money you are going to put into doing a "Deckover" treatment. It's expensive compared to regular stain and it's a relatively new product so we don't know too much about its' longevity.
Clean off all the dirt and mildew and try Deckscapes or Woodscapes from Sherwin Williams. Much better products than Deckover, Restore, or anything from Behr.
Gymshu,
I've inly dwalt with Behr stain for my deck and privacy fence. I will look into Deckscape and Woodscape.. are they comparable in prices to Behr?
Homerlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerlion View Post
Gymshu,
I've inly dwalt with Behr stain for my deck and privacy fence. I will look into Deckscape and Woodscape.. are they comparable in prices to Behr?
They will be a bit more than Behr but well worth it in terms of longevity. You will get at least an additional year to 2 on the horizontal decking boards and a good 3 to 4 years on the vertical fence panels. If you wait on an SW sale or print off some coupons, you can easily get a match in price with Behr.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Painting Company, NY

I have heard pros and cons of the restore that your talking about. It hasn't been out long enough to really determine if its good or not. I personally would not use it, as I don't think it's the answer for staining a deck. I would use Sherwin williams deckscapes semi transparent or Sikkens semi transparent on the deck and sherwin williams woodscapes on the fence. Sherwin williams products probably do cost more than home depot, but as other posters have mentioned they are worth the cost and are of better quality. We have restored numerous decks where someone had previously applied behr. It will cost more in the long run if you use behr.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #7

Probably more important than the product used is how well the deck is prepped. A deck that is 'long overdue' for a stain job is going to badly UV damaged. The top layer of wood basically needs to be removed before any product can be expected to perform.
Restore and similar products recommend washing and vigorous scrubbing as prep. IMO, washing followed by sanding is the best prep you can do.

It can be daunting to think about sanding a large deck, but it is worth the effort in the long run. As joe mentioned, Restore type products are not stains but high build coatings. Applied to an unstable surface, like UV damaged wood, they are bound to fail. And then you have a real mess.

I believe these new products can work well on a properly prepped surface. I have the Olympic version on one of my decks, and its doing well after the first year.

This is a sample of the Restore. As you can see, it is a very thick, tough coating. I can see it lasting a long time provided it is able to bond to a stable surface initially.
Attached Thumbnails
Best stain for a large deck and privacy fence?-image-2514757896.jpg   Best stain for a large deck and privacy fence?-image-761769230.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Painting Contractor CT

I would go with a Sherwin Williams product called deckscapes, a much better product.
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Pro Painter

I think the Restore product is a last resort to replacing the deck.

Keep in mind that no stain lasts very long, so doing the prep right the first time will save tons of work on re-coats. SW and BM have good stains that will fit the time period. I like Sikkens, but the customer pays for it. If you're wealthy, that's the best. Otherwise, just use SW or BM products to get a respectable job.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joewho For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #10

Sikkens was bought by PPG.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

I really like the Sikkens Dek stain. It looks like a piece of furniture when done and is very tough. The problem is that it needs to be applied to all six sides of the boards. Moisture coming in through the bottom or ends of the boards will cause it to peel quickly. So its really only feasible for use on new decks where you can access the lumber before its put together.

You can approximate this by doing a already built deck on all sides and the bottom, but moisture still gets in where boards lay across the frame, eventually causing peeling. I've done a few like this and they lasted about 3yrs.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I really like the Sikkens Dek stain. It looks like a piece of furniture when done and is very tough. The problem is that it needs to be applied to all six sides of the boards. Moisture coming in through the bottom or ends of the boards will cause it to peel quickly. So its really only feasible for use on new decks where you can access the lumber before its put together.

You can approximate this by doing a already built deck on all sides and the bottom, but moisture still gets in where boards lay across the frame, eventually causing peeling. I've done a few like this and they lasted about 3yrs.
Sikkens Cetol Dek needs to be applied to all six sides and is also not recommended to use on decks low to the ground. Sikkens SRD does not need to be applied to all six sides and can be used on decks that are lower to the ground. We don't use Cetol Dek, we use SRD, which I have never seen peel, crack and/or flake it will just wear off.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny

Sikkens Cetol Dek needs to be applied to all six sides and is also not recommended to use on decks low to the ground. Sikkens SRD does not need to be applied to all six sides and can be used on decks that are lower to the ground. We don't use Cetol Dek, we use SRD, which I have never seen peel, crack and/or flake it will just wear off.

Yeah, I like the STD too. I'm not sure it really last much longer than similar penetrating stains from other top brands, but its not priced crazy high either (like other Sikkens products are)
It's good stuff. I wish they had some lighter colors though. Most of them are on the darker side, and a lot of them have orange tones.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #14

Rustoleum Restore project

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote