Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best stain for cedar siding

First time poster here.

I'm looking to re-stain my rough sawn cedar sided home this year if the rain ever lets up in the Chicago area. My home was last stained about 5 years ago with latex stain. My contractor may have used thinned paint rather than stain. The north side looks great but the other three sides have some peeling where the grain is flat and wide. In the peeled areas the wood looks gray and weathered.

I'm planning on doing the job myself this time. Since I am investing all my time I want to make sure I'm using the best materials for the job. I don't care is it costs a little more since I'm saving money by doing the work myself.

I've started prepping one wall by power-washing to remove any poorly adhered stain/paint. I did this twice because after the first time I was still pulling off stain with duct tape. I pulled off a lot of old stain and re-exposed a lot of wood. So, I have a wall that is both bare wood and latex stain/paint.

I've narrowed my list of stains down to this list of solid acrylics: Woodscapes, Cabot Pro VT, and Sikkens Rubbol Siding Finish. My local paint store was pushing a new BM product called Arborcoat. I can't find any reviews of this product so I really don't want to use it.

Which of the above stains do you recommend?

All of these are supposed to be self-priming. Should I apply a primer anyway? I've never noticed issues with tannin bleeding on my house even on brand new boards that I replaced before the house was last stained. If a primer is used which do you recommend? My paint store was recommending Cabot Problem Solver (oil based) but I have concerns about the adhesion to the existing latex surface. There is also an acrylic latex version. I'd obviously like to get by on two coats of stain rather than one coat of primer and two coats of stain if it isn't necessary.

Of all the stains I mentioned, only Woodscapes says that the first coat will lock in the tannin bleed. All the others say to use a primer with cedar and redwood. Since most of my boards are 15 years old and very dry do I need to even worry about tannin bleeding?

Thanks.

Last edited by pgreef; 06-14-2010 at 09:25 PM.
pgreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I think your choice of stains is pretty good. You might want to add PPG SunProof to the list. In a previous thread, concensus seemed to favor Sikkens, Cabot's and Woodscapes in that order but they're all quality products. I'd be curious where SunProof and Arborcoat fall in the rankings? Did the paint store tell you the difference between BM's Arborcoat and Benwood. New products aren't always an improvement. Sometime they're only better in VOC's but worse overall.

For that problem wall I'd let it get good and dry and then use a long oil primer with a shot of Penetrol. Have the paint store tint the primer to half the formula of the topcoat to get you a head start on coverage. You want a primer that penetrates into the wood and grabs hold of wood fibers. Long oil primer does that the best IMHO.

Last edited by hennyh; 06-15-2010 at 08:32 AM.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks hennyh.

Will the oil primer stick to the existing latex stain also?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreef View Post
Thanks hennyh.

Will the oil primer stick to the existing latex stain also?
You should really ask the paint store and/or check the manufacturer's data sheet to be sure. In general, oil based primers requires a sound, dry and clean surface. Previous coatings with poor adhesion need to be removed. (this is the case with any coating)
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

there are so many different brands that are good and so many opinions on this. I think all of the brands you are looking at are good so I dont' think you'll go wrong either way. I'm familiar with the Arborcoat product from BM so I'll give you some info on it. Yes, it is a new low VOC product, however, in their independent tests ben moore put this product up against cabot and sikkens and they claim it holds up better. Unfortunately, the product is so new that you really have to take their word for it from the accelerated testing that was conducted by the lab. In any case, the Arborcoat is a waterbased product so over cedar they still suggest using an oil based primer - the can specifically lists fresh start - but there are others that will work. The woodscapes sounds interesting in that you don't need a primer - Sikkens, Cabot, etc are all great brands. Personally, I just used some of the ARborcoat and was very happy with the results. I'll let you know in a few years if I'm still happy =) Good luck!!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

We use SW Woodscapes and Cabot ProVT, they are both great solid stains with acrylic binders, you won't have to prime with either of them, you can apply them to bare wood with no problems, Cabot ProVT we use the most on siding and fences that are previously stained or bare.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
We use SW Woodscapes and Cabot ProVT, they are both great solid stains with acrylic binders, you won't have to prime with either of them, you can apply them to bare wood with no problems, Cabot ProVT we use the most on siding and fences that are previously stained or bare.
I agree, infact DO NOT use primer under stain. That defeats the whole purpose of stain penetrating the wood.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Both the Cabot and Sikkens web sites say I may need to prime red cedar to prevent tannin bleeding. How common is bleeding on cedar? Most of my wood is 15 years old and I've never seen bleeding before.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreef View Post
Both the Cabot and Sikkens web sites say I may need to prime red cedar to prevent tannin bleeding. How common is bleeding on cedar? Most of my wood is 15 years old and I've never seen bleeding before.

If it has not bled yet, it most likely wont.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #10

Hi, I was wondering how does the Arborcoat holds up after 1 year?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
Personally, I just used some of the ARborcoat and was very happy with the results. I'll let you know in a few years if I'm still happy =) Good luck!!
Domochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #11

Dude screw the stain. I live north of you In green Bay area and coated my prevoiusly stained latex exterior with oil primer and Duration paint and after 6 years it is still perfect. Remember not to use caulk on the cracks but Gorilla glue, let it bubble up for 4 hours and sand it down with lava rock or skive it with a steak knife.

if ya get up to see a game this year stop by. Hopefully Cutler's knee is better!
warminwisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Paint over the glue and never know ya had a crack
warminwisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #13

I dont want to "hijack" this post; but I have the EXACT same question(s).

pgreef: perhaps we can work on this at the same time and give each other advice on what we find works best? This is a massive job and I want to do it right.

I feel the biggest issue is getting the old pealing stain/paint off for good coverage. Is duct tape the best way?

It seems good oil based cedar treatments are a simple solution once the old pealing stain/paint is off.

I too, have some areas that have been "fixed" over the years with some major pealing (peeling means latex or paint?).

The purpose of my window frame picture (on the outside) is to show the pealing that exists on the cedar siding in some areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Best stain for cedar siding-dscf1154-640x480-.jpg   Best stain for cedar siding-dscf1184-640x480-.jpg  
mibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #14

This might not be the exact answer folks are looking for, but a few years ago I purchased a log home that had about 25 years of neglect piled on its old bones. We had all of the external surfaces (including window trim) corn cob blasted. Took care of all of the old stain. You could almost hear to wood breathing a sigh of relief. After that we used a multi step product from Sashco. Well 4 years later and it looks the same as when I put it on. It has a clear coat that you are supposed to apply every year but I haven't even managed to do that. I wish they had a deck product !
photobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,138

Who keeps posting these threads from LAST YEAR?

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote