Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Primer For Aluminum Siding?

Hey, I've been hearing and receiving conflicting information in regard to using an oil based or water based primer for re-painting my aluminum siding. Some say use an oil based primer because water based has ammonia which will react with the aluminum and creat bubbles. others say in the past that was true but now the amount of ammonia in water based paints is so low that bubbling is not a factor. I'm confused and frustrated because I want to do it right the first time, you know? Any advice, suggestions on what type of primer.

dignan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Aluminum siding only needs to be primed if you have bare aluminum. I would use a water base DTM bonding primer on any bare spots. I would use water base because unlike oil base it won't become brittle and crack down the road, it will expand and contract with the siding, and it can also withstand heat better than oil base. The important thing is to clean the aluminum well removing any chalky, oxidized aluminum. TSP works well for cleaning, but rinse well. We have always had great success painting aluminum siding using Sherwin Williams DTM bonding primer on any b are aluminum and then applying two coats of a 100% acrylic latex, our choice of paints for aluminum is Sherwin Williams Super Paint.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!!
dignan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

I also had a few questions on this topic; thank you for answering some of them off the bat!

I'm planning to paint my house this summer, which is covered head-to-toe in aluminum siding. It's pretty old and starting to discolor in places, but is in good shape with no dings/holes/etc.

My chief complaint is every time it rains, water lingers on the clapboards, looks lousy, and takes a long time to dry out. (Pictured.)

So, a few quick questions:
-Will a fresh coat of paint help seal the surface and bead up water?

-Even with the baked-on color, is priming first a prudent thing to do? If so, is Latex-based primer ok, or should I definitely use water?

-I don't have a Sherwin Williams anywhere in my area, but I live near a Benjamin Moore store and Home Depot. What types of paint or primer from these stores would you recommend?
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Primining the aluminum siding is not necessary unless you have bare spots of aluminum. The most important thing is to clean the surface properly getting any chalk and dirt off of the surface. I prefer to use a pressure washer, tsp, and a nylon scrub brush for this. after you will want to use a water base primer for any raw aluminum and a quality 100% acrylic latex paint, apply two coats. Do not use an oil base, as an oil base can not take the heat as well as a water base and also does not have elastic properties to expand and contract with the siding. We prefer Sherwin Williams DTM bonding primer and Sherwin Williams SuperPaint.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Primining the aluminum siding is not necessary unless you have bare spots of aluminum. The most important thing is to clean the surface properly getting any chalk and dirt off of the surface. I prefer to use a pressure washer, tsp, and a nylon scrub brush for this. after you will want to use a water base primer for any raw aluminum and a quality 100% acrylic latex paint, apply two coats. Do not use an oil base, as an oil base can not take the heat as well as a water base and also does not have elastic properties to expand and contract with the siding. We prefer Sherwin Williams DTM bonding primer and Sherwin Williams SuperPaint.
Only thing I will add is to use Emulsabond in your first coat of paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
^^^^^This is great advice! I have painted aluminum siding for 30 years & it always comes out great with Housepaintingny's advice. I have had great success using SW's Superpaint Satin. As for that watery discoloration, I think two coats of paint may help it bead up more rather than lay on the siding. A lighter color may also keep it from showing up so prominently.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

Thank for you the additional info

What about the item regarding water beading? Can I expect any improvement with a fresh coat of paint?
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
^^^^^This is great advice! I have painted aluminum siding for 30 years & it always comes out great with Housepaintingny's advice. I have had great success using SW's Superpaint Satin. As for that watery discoloration, I think two coats of paint may help it bead up more rather than lay on the siding. A lighter color may also keep it from showing up so prominently.
Thanks, that is how we always paint aluminum siding and other things that are aluminum. I've never had a problem using that method and using SW Superpaint. I would use a satin finish too and probably a lighter color
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHelix View Post
I also had a few questions on this topic; thank you for answering some of them off the bat!

I'm planning to paint my house this summer, which is covered head-to-toe in aluminum siding. It's pretty old and starting to discolor in places, but is in good shape with no dings/holes/etc.

My chief complaint is every time it rains, water lingers on the clapboards, looks lousy, and takes a long time to dry out. (Pictured.)

So, a few quick questions:
-Will a fresh coat of paint help seal the surface and bead up water?

-Even with the baked-on color, is priming first a prudent thing to do? If so, is Latex-based primer ok, or should I definitely use water?

-I don't have a Sherwin -I don't have a Sherwin Williams anywhere in my area, but I live near a Benjamin Moore store and Home Depot. What types of paint or primer from these stores would you recommend?

California Paint Exterior Satin will fix that right up
DGideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #11

Can i use "kilz" to paint aluminum siding? Will that work?
NFOHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,144

Kilz is an INTERIOR product as far as I know and shouldn't be used on exteriors.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFOHIO View Post
Can i use "kilz" to paint aluminum siding? Will that work?
Do not use kilz. Do you have any bare aluminum or paint talking.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
Do not use kilz. Do you have any bare aluminum or paint talking.
Mike, does, uhm, does your paint talk to you?
Mine does too sometimes, I'm so glad it's not just me.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Mike, does, uhm, does your paint talk to you?
Mine does too sometimes, I'm so glad it's not just me.
stupid auto correct i have had some long conversations with paints and sprayers before. i think that the moderators would delete them if i posted them here.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (07-29-2011)