Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Best Paint for Wood Stained Cabinets

Our house was built in the late 1960's and has original kitchen and dining room stained wood cabinetry. We are getting ready to put the house on the market and I plan on painting the cabinets. I'm looking for the best paint that won't break the bank but will look good.

I purchased some Kilz Original oil based primer. Will this work well, or should I go with something different? I'd also purchased the Rustoleum oil based paint, but now I'm second guessing whether it's a good choice or not. First whether the quality is good and second whether I want to deal with all the fumes and super slow drying time of oil based.

I've seen some info on Sherwin Williams Cashmere and they're having a paint sale on the 22nd of this month, so I could wait...or?

I'm planning on rolling and brushing as painting with a sprayer is too intimidating for me!

Any help and comments from personal experience are VERY much appreciated as I just get more and more confused by the many choices and opinions as I look online.

Last edited by DeniseC; 09-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.
DeniseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Why paint them? If you are selling ,why bother.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Hi chrisn,

Because they currently looked ridiculously old and I'm trying to make the place more sellable without putting a fortune into it. The housing market is tough right now and I'd rather put some time and a little money into the place than having it languish on the market for 1/2 a year or more.

So many people don't have any kind of vision, or inclination to do some work themselves, I want them to walk in my house and not see old and dated, but instead move in ready!

Do you have any experience painting cabinets that you could share with me?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Denise- look at other threads here about cabinets (or painting trim- same issues)- Subject covered many times.
Clean very well
Sand lightly for adhesion
Prime with quality bonding primer
Use a high quality Paint in a sufficient sheen- Go to a real paint store for the best products- not the cheapest.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As mentioned above and in many threads on here on this topic. Prep and painting a kitchen is the dealmaker. You want to get the surfaces to be painted spotless. Then scruff them up with fine grit paper.

Kilz oil might work out but if you can take it back, I would get a Zinsser product like either Cover Stain or 123 depending on whether you want to work with a solvent based or bonding latex/acrylic primer. Both will work well and they come at a decent price point. I still like putting an alkyd primer on cabinets and especially if there is an oil based varnish on them. You can put just about anything over an alkyd finish.

As for your finish coats, I would use as high end a latex acrylic product as makes sense for budget and situation. I would probably use a semi-gloss but a softer sheen can look nice too on cabinets. I toss a conditioner like Floetrol in to reduce brush marks or roller cover texture. It is probably not necessary and some brands advise against the use of such stuff.

I have nothing against oil finishes and as a painter loved working with them at times. The world is going acrylic or to other waterbased finishes though and as you pointed out the fumes are easier to deal with and cleanup much nicer too. And the cabinets will surface dry faster. Do not forget latex acrylics take up to 30 days to fully cure though.

I have not used Rustoleum liquid products much but certainly have other major paint store paints. Just stay away from box store stuff.

Make sure you use a quality brush and roller cover.

Just a hint to pass one from years of updating situations for sale with paint? If the cabinets are dated I am guessing the hardware on doors and drawers is too. After you've painted, switching hardware to something more sleek and contemporary can make a big difference for relatively little money.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Just to add about the hdwre- If you do switch stuff- find them and try and install on a door and drawer before you paint. Things like that are often a pain and need to have new holes, etc.
user1007 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

sdsester, thanks for your detailed response! Thanks too for your comments Brushjockey. Yes, I'd already considered the hardware including hinges. They've been 'tested' and chosen and I DO need to fill some holes on cupboards as I went with knobs on the cupboards instead of the current pulls. Will be using pulls on the drawers and they're the same size, so no retrofit there!

Do you recommend TSP to clean the cabinetry? Also, I take it from your comments Brushjockey that I don't have to sand down to bare wood?

Thanks again for your assistance!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Read the thread on tsp down the page- has the most info ever on that ( thanks to ric and sds!)
Sanding it to dull the gloss- not remove the varnish. This will give the primer something to get a grip on.
( DO NOT fall for the primer in paint line, sometimes it works, but here you dont want to doubt- )
DeniseC (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Just to add about the hdwre- If you do switch stuff- find them and try and install on a door and drawer before you paint. Things like that are often a pain and need to have new holes, etc.
Thanks BJ! Forgot that and take needing to set up a jig to drill for new hardware for granted---make one out of cardboard, illustration board or masonite if you have a scrap around so everything is in the right place. You definitely want to fill and prime the old holes before painting. If you have wacked doors, now would be the time to fill the holes, with epoxy if you need to drill new holes near, and line doors up the way they should have been.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DeniseC (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
ltd

just to add ,yea personally i think painted cabinets look great . for me when i use cover stain i use a nylon polyester brush instead of a china bristle brush. imo the chini brush is like your brushing with a wisk broom .the nylon polister gives a far better finish imo.and as mention a splash of paint thinner in your cutting bucket .stir it up good .cover stain says top coat in 2,3,4,hours i forget .but i let it dry over nite. set up a table number all doors, lightly sand between coats. very lightly . for selling your house i see no need in painting the in sides ,but i would paint both sides of the doors.as for paint i like proclassic acrylic by sherwin williams. i'm looking at a job i did, i think about 5 years ago with the pro classic acrylic and it still looks great .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
DeniseC (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Read the thread on tsp down the page- has the most info ever on that ( thanks to ric and sds!)
BJ how can you laud the plagerist and me at the same time!

Let me cry and let this reach its state of coalescence.

Tags
best paint for cabinets, best primer for cabinets, kitchen cabinets, painting cabinets, stain to paint cabinets