Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

best paint for a deck.

yeah, i know don't paint a deck but i bought a house that has a front porch and back deck that had been painted grey. most of the paint on the floors has worn off and i replaced some railings the rest of the deck was sound and still had paint on it. I would like to repaint the whole thing grey again but need to know what the best paint to use is. Something that's going to hold up to Minnesota weather would be great.
lucky6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

best paint for a deck.

May want to let us in on what the deck is made of.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

best paint for a deck.

sorry, forgot that part. its treated lumber I installed the new treated railings last summer so any chemical residue should be mostly weathered out by now.
lucky6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

best paint for a deck.

Here is what google says( for what it's worth)

http://www.50yeardeckpaint.com/?gcli...FYio4Aod33bWmg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

best paint for a deck.

In MN ( where I am also from) painted decks almost always fail. We get it all the heat ( today it broke- yay!) the cold, the snow, etc. Too much expansion and contraction to hold a paint.
A penetrating deck finish that doesn't sit on the top is best.
There are some pretty good ones and there are some pretty bad ones.
Most have problems with Behr or Thompson.
There have been deck guys on similar threads who recommended products- i don't do them anymore.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

best paint for a deck.

First off there is a big difference between an uncovered wooden deck and a covered t&g porch. Also know I am not a big believer in putting solid stains or paints on exposed decks and do understand even porches heat and contract in extreme climates. Of course you are better off using a semi-transparent product that absorbs into the surface rather than anything with pigment that sits on top. Your scheduled maintenance on any deck or porch has to increase with the amount of anything you expect to stick to the top of it.

Modern porch, floor and patio finishes have come a long way though. The products I know best are Benjamin Moore's in both the oil and water solvent products. The oil based come with nice urethane reinforcement and water based with epoxy. The oil tends to be glossier and more slippery. As you know, there is nothing like ice on a slick painted porch floor! Unfortunately the non-slip additives greatly reduce the life of the paint since they abrade it from multiple directions.

I was born and spent early years in the Land of 10,000 Lakes myself and still have family there. Some still work the land and grow crops or raise honey bees. Some have nice Victorian or otherwise gorgeous old farm houses (The Master family farm house was destroyed when an uncle went off the deep end and started letting the pigs inside in numbers. He became sort of like a crazy Norwegian version of a cat lady I guess?) and painted porches (floors and ceilings)! I am not sure they would look right with something else?

Having worked on antique houses in several extreme temperature states I don't remember covered porches painted with quality paint being maintenance nightmares. Exposed painted and solid stained decks that fall off the maintenance schedule look terrible in short order. So whatever you use, even semi-transparent stain, expect to address your deck surface every 2-3 years no matter what the can says in the fine print conditional warranty and you will greatly increase the overall life of the deck. If you get more out of the materials than that. Yippee. If not, you will not be surprised.

Last edited by user1007; 07-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

best paint for a deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
First off there is a big difference between an uncovered wooden deck and a covered t&g porch. Also know I am not a big believer in putting solid stains or paints on exposed decks and do understand even porches heat and contract in extreme climates. Of course you are better off using a semi-transparent product that absorbs into the surface rather than anything with pigment that sits on top. Your scheduled maintenance on any deck or porch has to increase with the amount of anything you expect to stick to the top of it.

Modern porch, floor and patio finishes have come a long way though. The products I know best are Benjamin Moore's in both the oil and water solvent products. The oil based come with nice urethane reinforcement and water based with epoxy. The oil tends to be glossier and more slippery. As you know, there is nothing like ice on a slick painted porch floor! Unfortunately the non-slip additives greatly reduce the life of the paint since they abrade it from multiple directions.

I was born and spent early years in the Land of 10,000 Lakes myself and still have family there. Some still work the land and grow crops or raise honey bees. Some have nice Victorian or otherwise gorgeous old farm houses (The Master family farm house was destroyed when an uncle went off the deep end and started letting the pigs inside in numbers. He became sort of like a crazy Norwegian version of a cat lady I guess?) and painted porches (floors and ceilings)! I am not sure they would look right with something else?

Having worked on antique houses in several extreme temperature states I don't remember covered porches painted with quality paint being maintenance nightmares. Exposed painted and solid stained decks that fall off the maintenance schedule look terrible in short order. So whatever you use, even semi-transparent stain, expect to address your deck surface every 2-3 years no matter what the can says in the fine print conditional warranty and you will greatly increase the overall life of the deck. If you get more out of the materials than that. Yippee. If not, you will not be surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote