Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: What is the best brand of paint for interior walls
Poll Options
What is the best brand of paint for interior walls

Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best paint brand?

My wife and I just bought our first home and are in the process of repainting. We have a seven month old so for durability over the coming years I am going with an eggshell finish.

I have completed painting in 2 rooms with Val Spar and am happy but I also know that the previous owners used Val Spar and it did not hold up well in the bathrooms and hasn't held up to scrubbing with paper towels and wash clothes. With most of the brands I know we can get the same colors so my question is of these 5 Whats the best brand and why?

1. Val Spar
2. Sherman Williams
3. Behr
4. Porter
5. Benjamin Moore

Thanks guys.

pilotforhire587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,234

Best paint brand?

Tough question. For most of my painting career, I have loved Sherwin-Williams paints. Great colors, covered well, nice finish. The last couple years I have seen a decline in their paints........especially in coverage......& their pricing is very high. I have used Valspar with pretty good success. Price is right, coverage is good, and it's a good solid paint brand. I especially like their reds, yellows, (primary colors) that cover way better than anything S-W has. Behr is horrible and I always hear good things about Benny Moore. Overall, I would like to say S-W, but, I'm gonna vote VALSPAR.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #3

Best paint brand?

Well it is a difficult question for me to tell goodyear mn because all are good paint brands but i mostly use Sherman williams.

Last edited by Broderick; 01-01-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Broderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,058

Best paint brand?

SW and BM are always good choices. If price is an issue go with thier contractor lines (Promar200 for SW and Superspec for BM) If you have to go big box stores go with Valspar from Lowes. It's not the greatest but it won't give you the disasters Behr will.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Best paint brand?

I know that this is going to sound like a commercial...but I work at The Home Depot in the paint department here in Atlanta. I have used Benjamin Moore paints within my own painting company for about 15 years or more now. When BEHR came out with their new Ultra line I was willing to give it a try. I have since painted a couple of exteriors with it and several interiors with it and have been very impressed. The eggshell finish has the ability to resist that "moisture run" on the walls that you get in high humidity rooms like the kitchen or bathroom. Most of the time you can paint with just one coat to cover. But if for instance you are using deep colors like a red, then two coats for sure. Both the Benjamin Moore Aura line and the BEHR Ultra line are "low VOC". But the Aura is about $18 more per gallon.

Sometimes we professional painters need to experiment with other products just to (at the very least) satisfy our resolve.

Post pics if you can.
HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,234

Best paint brand?

HD, I am willing to give Behr another shot based on your response. My only previous experience was several years ago using BEHR on some doors.......it was paint the customer purchased and insisted on using. Anyway, it was white on white and it took THREE coats to cover. It was a Satin sheen that dried like it was FLAT. Customer was absolutely furious........my only major complaint in 30 years of painting. I swore no more BEHR after that.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Best paint brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
Well it is a difficult question for me to tell because all are good paint brands but i mostly use Sherman williams.

Are you sure about that?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Best paint brand?

In my experience Behr in plain white semi does not cover at all, 3 to 4 coats were needed to cover over previously WHITE paint, not good.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007

Best paint brand?

I always go with Valspar, I'm still in the process of painting our new house and I've used about 25 gallons of paint so far and have had no problems, have used it with paint brushes, rollers, and a power roller as well and it covers very well. The other good thing is if you are going to go with one of those tricky colors (ex. red), you can always switch over to the new HD cans and they will save you a couple of re-coats.
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Best paint brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
HD, I am willing to give Behr another shot based on your response. My only previous experience was several years ago using BEHR on some doors.......it was paint the customer purchased and insisted on using. Anyway, it was white on white and it took THREE coats to cover. It was a Satin sheen that dried like it was FLAT. Customer was absolutely furious........my only major complaint in 30 years of painting. I swore no more BEHR after that.
Gymschu, I have a wonderful bridge in Brooklyn I am looking to sell...
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #11

Best paint brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Tough question. For most of my painting career, I have loved Sherwin-Williams paints. Great colors, covered well, nice finish. The last couple years I have seen a decline in their paints........especially in coverage......& their pricing is very high. I have used Valspar with pretty good success. Price is right, coverage is good, and it's a good solid paint brand. I especially like their reds, yellows, (primary colors) that cover way better than anything S-W has. Behr is horrible and I always hear good things about Benny Moore. Overall, I would like to say S-W, but, I'm gonna vote VALSPAR.
I've been using S-W for over 15 years and im glad im not the only one who has seen a decline in their coverage and increase in their prices. I still choose them but not all of their stuff. I have an old home with old plaster and lath so i needed flat paint to hide some waves so i tried their sure scrub and i love it for the price, but not sure how its gonna hold up yet.
jbrick28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

Best paint brand?

It is true that the Behr white has poor coverage...Most white paint (from any manufacturer) has a small amount of color added to it to aid in coverage. Usually its black or grey and even sometimes dark yellow. The Behr white is the whitest on the market, but without that extra color in it the coverage is weak. So knowing that, you need to decide if you want "bright white" or slightly muted white with less coverage.

I myself even add a small amount of black to whites, just so I can be productive. But I do give up that "crisp clean" look.
HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 252

Best paint brand?

O...M...G...

I can't believe what I'm reading here!!!

I've been in paint retailing for goin' on 10 yrs. now, and I STILL shake my head over this "A drop-or-two of Black helps a paints' coverage..."!!

It's complete crap!

(I'm at an independent retailer, NOT a big-box of any type)

A drop or so of darker colorant in a White-base IS NOT going to make a hoots bit of difference in how OPAQUE (or "COVERAGE" to some) that base is! It obviously just changes the color slightly.
* I wish I knew where this myth started!
* A white base is the most opaque base in a paints' tint-base series. It's just simple fact, because the whites have the most TI02.
* HOWEVER...their are moderate differences in the quality & grinds of various TI's.
* YES...Black &/or Brown colorants are fairly opaque. BUT...to imply 1 or 2 drops magically change a white-bases' "coverage" from poor-to-good is complete baloney.

Yes...every brands "White"-base is a whisker different. The Co's I deal with however, don't add pigment/colorant from the factory. That's complete hooey. I've also talked to their paint chemists.

(...stepping down from my soapbox now...)

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best paint brand?

I recently used some BM exterior white
Puts Behr to shame....
And its just as bright a white as any I have seen
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Best paint brand?

"stepping down from my soapbox now"...

Well, I, for one, am glad for that box.It is good to get the facts. I am not the best for putting things to words but you're post just did a fine job.