Best Paint For Basement Walls And Floor? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best Paint for Basement Walls and Floor?

I want to paint my basement walls, which is a block wall, and the floors, which are cement floors.

What brand, and what type of paint should I use that will last? I live in Minnesota and this part of the basement isnt heated, so it gets pretty cold during the winter months.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

After cleaning and applying block filler( be prepared to work HARD) you can apply most anything to the walls, the floors would be another situation completly. Best to ask at a real paint store, Sherwin Williams is probably the easiest.

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do I gather these are exterior walls? like foundation walls? or interior walls?

Good luck if they are cold exterior walls and you in Minnesota...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Sprayboy-services.com

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikeologist View Post
I want to paint my basement walls, which is a block wall, and the floors, which are cement floors.

What brand, and what type of paint should I use that will last? I live in Minnesota and this part of the basement isnt heated, so it gets pretty cold during the winter months.

Thanks!

I used a floor/porch paint on my block walls. Zinsser 1-2-3 white primer first. I used a two-part epoxy on the floor with the paint flakes it does look like linoleum. WARNING: It will look great until you move stuff back into the room. It will scratch so be careful with the appliances.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

A coat of SW block filler on the block walls then top coat with a 100% acrylic paint. You can use a floor paint on the floor, SW porch and floor, there are also great epoxys, but I would use a solid concrete stain, H&C concrete stains.
http://www.kelloggspainting.com/ConcreteCoatings.html
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ask the paint store. H&C makes a great basement paint. I got it at Sherwin Williams and I remember it was both water and alcohol (or something similar) based. It was intense even with a mask and ventilation so hope you can wait until spring.

Are you doing the floor cosmetically or do you want to be able to use it for dancing or something? An epoxy would be better in the latter case but again, not without ventilation and call in an expert with the tools and background to apply it. Otherwise, use a good floor paint recommended by the paint store but lean toward latex/poly products and not oil-based. The alkaline nature of concrete will chalk oil finishes.

Either way, you should also think about what you need to prep the basement. Mold and mildew issues have been addressed. It is clean as anything else you would paint?

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 11-30-2009 at 07:10 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote