Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Share |

Best Exterior Paint under $20-$25/gallon

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for $20-$25 per gallon to paint the exterior of our home (masonite-type hardboard siding in good condition.)

I've looked at Behr and read horrible reviews. Some have said Glidden is better?

For some of you who paint often - if YOU had to spend $20-$25 per gallon for exterior paint, which brand would you go with???

xtopheralan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

find a quality paint with higher solids and a higher spread rate from a real paint store. cost per square foot is more important than cost per gallon. different gallons of paint will cover at different rates. watered down paint doesnt cover/hide very well which means you will have to use more paint. if you are using more paint, the cost per gallon is pointless.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

[quote=mustangmike3789;651066 if you are using more paint, the cost per gallon is pointless.[/quote]

Pay the price and buy decent paint from a paint store. Ask for a discount if you are buying more than a quart.

Every gallon of any paint comes with your willingness to apply it, ever year if cheap exterior crap.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

Pay the price and buy decent paint from a paint store. Ask for a discount if you are buying more than a quart.

Every gallon of any paint comes with your willingness to apply it, ever year if cheap exterior crap.
Thanks for NOT answering my question.

We will be getting our house sided within 5 years. Not everyone needs something that's going to last FOREVER, and not everyone wants to spend a mint paying for paint.

Again - what's the best paint to buy for $20-$25 per gallon?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

So no one has a recommendation of a brand in this price range? I plan on spending $200 on exterior paint. Point blank. You can go on and on about some paints cover more, last longer, etc. It doesn't change the fact that I will be spending $200 for exterior paint.

With that said, there are MANY brands that fall into that category. Are there any clear winners?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtopheralan81 View Post
So no one has a recommendation of a brand in this price range? I plan on spending $200 on exterior paint. Point blank. You can go on and on about some paints cover more, last longer, etc. It doesn't change the fact that I will be spending $200 for exterior paint.

With that said, there are MANY brands that fall into that category. Are there any clear winners?
planning on $200, but if the spread rate isnt there.....you will be buying more paint so you will go over budget. we are not telling you to buy high priced exspensive paint, we are telling you to buy paint that will cover more square feet per gallon which means you will buy less gallons and probably spend less than $200 in the end. if paint "A" covers 200sqft/gal for $25 and paint "B" covers 450sqft/gal for $35. which paint should you buy?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
planning on $200, but if the spread rate isnt there.....you will be buying more paint so you will go over budget. we are not telling you to buy high priced exspensive paint, we are telling you to buy paint that will cover more square feet per gallon which means you will buy less gallons and probably spend less than $200 in the end. if paint "A" covers 200sqft/gal for $25 and paint "B" covers 450sqft/gal for $35. which paint should you buy?
I totally understand. Let me re-word this......which are some decent BUDGET BRANDS of paint? If you want to take that as $20-25 a gallon, or $200 for a full exterior 2500sqfoot job.....so be it. I just want some opinions on some DECENT brands for the money, because at that price there are a lot to choose from (Valspar, Behr, Glidden, ColorPlace, etc etc etc) without having to spend twice as much.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
I totally understand. Let me re-word this......which are some decent BUDGET BRANDS of paint? If you want to take that as $20-25 a gallon, or $200 for a full exterior 2500sqfoot job.....so be it. I just want some opinions on some DECENT brands for the money, because at that price there are a lot to choose from Valsp(ar, Behr, Glidden, ColorPlace, etc etc etc) without having to spend twice as much.
i would stay away from all of those paints and go to a paint store such as SW,BM or PPG and get something such as a contractor grade or a step above. the manager or painters in that store can tell you which paint is the most cost effective for what you are trying to do. get your advice from paint experts not sales clerks at wally world. paint stores people will even ask you questions about your project and give you the correct paint without reading the can in front of you and taking a guess at it.(existing coating, type of siding,performance expectations>>>>)
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
i would stay away from all of those paints and go to a paint store such as SW,BM or PPG and get something such as a contractor grade or a step above. the manager or painters in that store can tell you which paint is the most cost effective for what you are trying to do. get your advice from paint experts not sales clerks at wally world. paint stores people will even ask you questions about your project and give you the correct paint without reading the can in front of you and taking a guess at it.(existing coating, type of siding,performance expectations>>>>)
I already spoke to Sherwin Williams over the phone and was told they couldn't come close to under $200 with their brands. Which puts me back in the boat I'm in currently.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Quote:

No. There are not any clear winners in that price point. For $200 in paint you are better off putting the money in the bank for five years.

You'll be hard pressed to get anyone to recommend you spend $200 on a exterior home repaint that WILL look BAD and for a product that will cost you more in the long run.

Here's the break down: OP buys $200 worth of poor quality paint and either paints only part of the house enough coats to not look shabby or OP ends up having to buy more gallons of poor quality paint and violate the $200 rule.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
NACE Coating Inspector

paint stores will have mis-tints on some occasions that go for pennies on the dollar. the colors can sometimes be adjusted close to the color that you are looking for and then you may only have to buy a couple of more gallons color matched to that. the price of mis-tints can easily change your desision on color selections.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Quote:
paint stores will have mis-tints on some occasions that go for pennies on the dollar. the colors can sometimes be adjusted close to the color that you are looking for and then you may only have to buy a couple of more gallons color matched to that. the price of mis-tints can easily change your desision on color selections.
Mike - that's a great suggestion for stepping up in quality! Much more helpful than mine Here's another one - Habitat for Humanity Stores also sell paint - might get a discount. Some locations have paint recycling programs that sell latex paint.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

What is your opinion based on when you say it "will look bad."

By my calculations I need approximately 2000 sq ft of coverage. I'm buying enough paint for 4000 sq ft of coverage in case I need 2 coats, which keeps me under the $200 mark.

I plan on re-siding the house in 5 years, so it doesn't have to be something that lasts me forever. I simply want something cheap that looks decent and will last for 5 years.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for $20-$25 per gallon
If that was my budget then I would go with Pittsburgh Speedhide. It's in the low to mid $20 a gallon and has pretty decent perfomance.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
If that was my budget then I would go with Pittsburgh Speedhide. It's in the low to mid $20 a gallon and has pretty decent perfomance.
Thank you. Everyone says stay away from Behr, but no one recommends something of comparable price. This is sold at Menards, correct?