Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best exterior paint for desert climate - mixed surface

I have spent about 4 hours researching what is the best solution for my situation here on our 60 year old ranch home in Phoenix, AZ and about the only thing I am sure of is that prep is probably the most important thing.

The project consists of a flat overhang running the length of the house which leads into a carport. The ceiling is tongue/groove. All the old wood is redwood. We are having some of the more badly damaged wood replaced (with redwood or doug fir). We also have demo'd a piss poor stucco job that covered up years of crap and our re-siding with board/batten (smooth 1/2 inch plywood). Some of the wood we are not replacing needs some TLC which we are going to do with Bondo.

I have looked at Benjamin Moore (bc we used it on the interior and were pleased) but I have seen great things about Sherman Williams Duration but just read a not so stellar review on that. I also just read a remark that lots of pro's here in the desert use Dunn Edwards. I since we have old wood I have toyed with using an oil based primer then latex over that but also read it's not necessary with newer latex paints.

It's as dry as it gets here so I don't have to contend with as much moisture/humidity. Just the brutal sun and the occasional dust storm. We are going to be applying it in July/August as well so READ HOT temps. For now it's just the north facing side so if we do early morning we should not have any direct sun on us, but temps are usually 90+ even at sunrise.

We toyed with spraying some of it too (at least the new siding) so I have been trying to factor that in as well.

I won't even begin with wether to use flat, satin or other right now. I just want to get my brand of paint down and application best suited for our multiple surfaces (old wood, bondo'd wood, virgin wood, and metal drip edge).

Any thoughts, advice and real world stories is much appreciated.

RiseAgainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

It sounds like a brutal environment to say the least.

You are absolutely right about the prep work being the foundation to any success. Take the time and patience to do things right and you will not be revisiting this project anytime soon. Use only top of the line products -like Bondo patch, elastomeric polyurethane caulking, and Gripper primer.

The reviews on Consumer Reports have been very favorable on the BEHR ULTRA paint sold at Home Depot. Two coats of the Satin finish on siding and semi-gloss on trim will give the most protection for the longest period of time.

I have used BM's AURA & MOORE-GLO, SW's DURATION, and HD's BEHR ULTRA. I have been able to revisit all these homes years later and have been the most pleased with the ULTRA. Dunn Edwards paint I have not used. I think they are based and developed out of the UK (much different climate than AZ).

Pressure washing the finished product annually will prolong the life of the paint.

Hope this helped.

HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Hi I live in central Kansas and, while not quite as brutal as you get, we have some rough times.. Right now into the 2nd week of 105-107*, I used Ben Moore Moorglo with Glidden Gripper primer, both sprayed, about 15-16 years ago. The majority still looks good. There are some window sills that should have been primed with a good oil base primer that need some attention this year. If the wood is old and has been exposed and dried out, you will need to do those areas with an oil base primer. An alternative would be 50-50 linseed oil and mineral spirits to restore some of the oils that have been dried out. Downside of the linseed oil/mineral spirits is it needs a good 4-6 weeks before priming and then would need an oil primer. I did need to repaint a fairly substantial area of one side last summer to cover some of my grandsons artwork, he got ahold of a can of automotive engine enamel but that's another thread, and I used Behr Ultra. It went on decent sprayed but hasn't been on long enough to testify to durability.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPaintPro View Post
It sounds like a brutal environment to say the least.

You are absolutely right about the prep work being the foundation to any success. Take the time and patience to do things right and you will not be revisiting this project anytime soon. Use only top of the line products -like Bondo patch, elastomeric polyurethane caulking, and Gripper primer.

The reviews on Consumer Reports have been very favorable on the BEHR ULTRA paint sold at Home Depot. Two coats of the Satin finish on siding and semi-gloss on trim will give the most protection for the longest period of time.

I have used BM's AURA & MOORE-GLO, SW's DURATION, and HD's BEHR ULTRA. I have been able to revisit all these homes years later and have been the most pleased with the ULTRA. Dunn Edwards paint I have not used. I think they are based and developed out of the UK (much different climate than AZ).

Pressure washing the finished product annually will prolong the life of the paint.

Hope this helped.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (07-18-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAgainst View Post
I have spent about 4 hours researching what is the best solution for my situation here on our 60 year old ranch home in Phoenix, AZ and about the only thing I am sure of is that prep is probably the most important thing.

The project consists of a flat overhang running the length of the house which leads into a carport. The ceiling is tongue/groove. All the old wood is redwood. We are having some of the more badly damaged wood replaced (with redwood or doug fir). We also have demo'd a piss poor stucco job that covered up years of crap and our re-siding with board/batten (smooth 1/2 inch plywood). Some of the wood we are not replacing needs some TLC which we are going to do with Bondo.

I have looked at Benjamin Moore (bc we used it on the interior and were pleased) but I have seen great things about Sherman Williams Duration but just read a not so stellar review on that. I also just read a remark that lots of pro's here in the desert use Dunn Edwards. I since we have old wood I have toyed with using an oil based primer then latex over that but also read it's not necessary with newer latex paints.

It's as dry as it gets here so I don't have to contend with as much moisture/humidity. Just the brutal sun and the occasional dust storm. We are going to be applying it in July/August as well so READ HOT temps. For now it's just the north facing side so if we do early morning we should not have any direct sun on us, but temps are usually 90+ even at sunrise.

We toyed with spraying some of it too (at least the new siding) so I have been trying to factor that in as well.

I won't even begin with wether to use flat, satin or other right now. I just want to get my brand of paint down and application best suited for our multiple surfaces (old wood, bondo'd wood, virgin wood, and metal drip edge).

Any thoughts, advice and real world stories is much appreciated.
Hi RiseAgainst and HDPaintPro,
This is Dave Hsia, Product Manager at Dunn-Edwards Paints. We came across your discussion here and wanted to add a correction. Dunn-Edwards was founded and is based in Los Angeles, CA. Our paints are manufactured in Phoenix, AZ and are formulated specifically to withstand the varied climates of the Southwest, from cool coastal environments to the warmest desert climates.We have 20 locations in Arizona to serve you. You may read more about us on our website: http://www.dunnedwards.com/PaintingContractors/AboutUs/WhyDunnEdwards/TheDunnEdwardsAdvantage.aspx. We would hope you will consider our brand when making your paint purchase decision. Thank you!
DaveH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH2 View Post
Hi RiseAgainst and HDPaintPro,
This is Dave Hsia, Product Manager at Dunn-Edwards Paints. We came across your discussion here and wanted to add a correction. Dunn-Edwards was founded and is based in Los Angeles, CA. Our paints are manufactured in Phoenix, AZ and are formulated specifically to withstand the varied climates of the Southwest, from cool coastal environments to the warmest desert climates.We have 20 locations in Arizona to serve you. You may read more about us on our website: http://www.dunnedwards.com/PaintingContractors/AboutUs/WhyDunnEdwards/TheDunnEdwardsAdvantage.aspx. We would hope you will consider our brand when making your paint purchase decision. Thank you!
Hey Dave. Welcome to the site.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote