Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Best Exterior Paint

We are painting the exterior of our house. It is wood hardy-back siding. I am reading everywhere that Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are the best, but they are pretty pricey. Is there another brand of similar quality for less expensive? I have used Kilz interior and loved it, anyone used the exterior?

richards983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Best Exterior Paint

The short answer is no, not really
Price does tend to have a direct bearing on quality with paints
Keeping in mind that each "brand" usually has many levels or lines of quality, I'd have to say that Ben Moore's SoftGloss/MoorGlow, Pittsburgh's Manor Hall, and Sherwin William's Duration are all top quality exterior paints
With a slight edge to Duration, for different reasons
(Duration, of course, is the more expensive of the group)

I'm glad you had great experience with the Kilz latex
I would be remiss, however, not to mention that you were lucky
The Kilz latex products have a high failure rate
Knowing what I know, I couldn't recommend any Kilz latex products

*Please happy Kilz latex customers realize that even an extreme 25% or 30% failure rate means a 70-75% success (or at least non-failure) rate, so there are a few happy customers out there with just about any product
I just can't recommend them

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #3

Best Exterior Paint

Well for exterior paint i prefer ICI Dulux.
I use manor hall a lot, the interior/exterior for my interior trim. The manor hall exterior i don't care that much for it. Same with their sun proof.
As far as kilz goes, if you are using original kilz then IMO a very good product. If you are talking about the water based kilz2, then i would steer clear.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #4

Best Exterior Paint

I've painted with cheap paint before and always regretted it. Given the effort that you'll go through painting your exterior, some extra money spent on paint is well worth it, at least in my opinion.
StevePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #5

Best Exterior Paint

I sell RedSeal and Accolade from Pratt & Lambert. I've never had any quality complaints out of either. I've had a few complaints about the way Accolade goes on. It takes some getting use to but it's the better paint. It's in the same class as Duration. The painters I've talked to that have used both Accolade and Duration have always favored the Accolade though. Even if it's hard to work with, evidently Duration is even worse. I haven't used Duration to comment on this myself.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #6

Best Exterior Paint

Workaholic,

Could you tell me where I might find information on ICI Dulux. Who sells it?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #7

Best Exterior Paint

Poppameth,

What makes Duration so hard to apply?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #8

Best Exterior Paint

Has anyone ever used Glidden? I know you can get it at Home Depot.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Pro Painter

Best Exterior Paint

The best is always expensive.

A good, solid, reliable exterior product is Sherwin-Williams Superpaint. Not too expensive, especially if you catch it on sale.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #10

Best Exterior Paint

Glidden was bought out by ICI, but the quality of paint that you would purchase at HD would be a much lower quality. i would stay away from it. Quality paint will serve you much better in the long run. You can skimp out now, and once you get it on, you will think that it looks good. It is the test of time that makes a good exterior paint. As Joe said said quality is not cheap.
www.iciduluxpaints.com/home/index.jsp the reason i like ICI is because i have been using it for years. I drive by houses i have painted years prior, and they still look great. The Dulux is higher end. Not the top end anymore, they now have the Fortis line which i believe is their top these days.
You will have to see if there is one located near you.
I do not use SW because of the pricing factor, i buy a lot of paint and have never been able to get the numbers that ICI or PPG will give. Once or twice a year a Sw rep tries to get my business it just never works out.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #11

Best Exterior Paint

I really can't tell you what makes Duration so bad. I haven't used it. All I can get out of the painters that have are comments like, "It's just nasty stuff." It may not be that bad. That just what the locals tell me.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
remodeling pro

Best Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards983 View Post
We are painting the exterior of our house. It is wood hardy-back siding. I am reading everywhere that Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are the best, but they are pretty pricey. Is there another brand of similar quality for less expensive? I have used Kilz interior and loved it, anyone used the exterior?
I would stick with either of them. We always use Benjamin Moore by our own choice, but Sherwin Williams if customer of decorater wants it, and have no problems with either. If anything else is suggested, we get our feathers ruffled . While the paint may seem pricey up front, remember that the cost of the material is pretty insignificant compared to the labor, especially for a sanding or scraping only a couple of years down the road.

Whatever you do, stay away from the house brands at the big box stores.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Paint/Faux Artisan

Best Exterior Paint

Ditto to above responses. You get what you pay for, although I see a diminishing rate of return with the ultra high levels of paint like Duration.

We've been painting in the Bay Area of CA for 24 years, and hands down, Sherwin Williams Super Paint is best overall in durability, application, least number of call-backs. The price is reasonable for quality.

Bottom line is- look at the time you spent prepping and will spend painting; do you want to re-spend that time in a couple years? Your time is the most valuable asset and more than makes up for a little bit more expense.

Bob
www.elshaddaipainting.com
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #14

Best Exterior Paint

I too am ready to paint outside my home, though I am only doing shutters and door. You have more to invest both with time and money so get the best. I am using Consumer Report to guide me in my purchase. Here are their top few. Keep in mind no other paint rated this high. If you are repainting every 4 years, as you will need to with other paints, why not get one of these with 9 year rating? Do the math, the others were 3-6 years, that makes the cost of one of these 3 a LOT cheaper in the long run:
Californian, Fresh Coat Velvet(flat)$28; Pratt and Lambert, Accolade Eggshell (flat)$35;Gliddon, Endurance(semigloss)$32. Go to their website to locate dealer. These three were rated the highest in up to 9 years of appearance still being good. All resisted dirt, color change and milldew. Good luck!

Last edited by andeew; 07-22-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add too
andeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #15

Best Exterior Paint

Ben Moore is on the top of my list for any painting jobs inside or out. I have found that the paint goes farther than the cheap stuff. Remember you are investing a lot and even though it may seem to be expensive in the long run its not.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote