Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Exterior Paint

Hi - I'm looking for product reviews for the best exterior paint - this is for a condo and we're considering changing products. We currently use California Paint and are considering using Flood's SWF. The price will be the same so this becomes an issue of which paint will last longer. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

amlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Best Exterior Paint

I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra (Lifetime Guarantee) exterior paint on some very old, weathered and porious outside shed doors. Its a primer and paint in one!
I applied two coats and now the doors look smooth and new! The colour hasn't faded at all during the hot summer and the doors are now resisting the wet weather like never before!

Make sure to stir it occassionally to mix the primer and paint additives.
I would have to say that I am very pleased with Behr Premium Plus Ultra!

ryecandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Best Exterior Paint

Look into Ben Moore's Aura product line.....also coming this spring will be ben exterior which will have the waterborne properties at a lower cost. Both will give you a long lasting finish with far superior color retention then any Behr product........but I do love the lifetime warranty thing.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Best Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlacroix View Post
Hi - I'm looking for product reviews for the best exterior paint - this is for a condo and we're considering changing products. We currently use California Paint and are considering using Flood's SWF. The price will be the same so this becomes an issue of which paint will last longer. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks.
If your in western mass let me know.....I can give you a gallon of Aura to try out.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Best Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecandy View Post
Quote:
I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra
(Lifetime Guarantee) exterior paint on some very old, weathered and porious outside shed doors. Its a primer and paint in one!
I applied two coats and now the doors look smooth and new! The colour hasn't faded at all during the hot summer and the doors are now resisting the wet weather like never before!

Make sure to stir it occassionally to mix the primer and paint additives.
I would have to say that I am very pleased with Behr Premium Plus Ultra!
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Best Exterior Paint

lifetime guarantee, primer and paint in one
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Chaz

Rewards Points: 25

Best Exterior Paint

You don't have to look at Chrisn's profile to know he's in the business. His uncontrolled laughing gives it away. There are a lot of "dirty little secrets" in the paint business (been there, done that). Lifetime guarantees are one of the biggest. A guarantee does not "guarantee" a result. It simply states a remedy that will take place if a specific failure occurs under a very specific and usually narrowly defined set of circumstances.

When I sold paint jobs I "guaranteed" them for two years. I would inevitably hear "well so-and-so guarantees his for three years!". I would then explain that the chances of a paint job failing under anyone's guarantee requirement are practically nill. If I did a bad app, it probably won't make it through the first year. Any number after two years is a joke. So "sure, I'll guarantee mine for three".

Same goes for paint manufacturing. A lifetime guarantee is meaningless. The paint job itself will fail before any good quality paint fails.

Never skimp on paint, but don't get sucked into the marketing BS. Get the best price on whatever top quality professional name brand paint is avaliable in your area. Focus your resources on proper preparation of the surface and a good app and they will ALL start to peel off about the same time--and it won't be for warranty reasons!

Now Chrisn, take a deep breath, have a beer, and calm down!

PS, And there's a reason they still sell primer, even with "primerless" paints around every corner. Think about it.
CallMeChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Best Exterior Paint

Hey, I am ALWAYS calm and haven't had a beer in 15 years!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Chaz

Best Exterior Paint

LOL --

I think there are more myths in painting than any other trade. "Hey, anyone can paint!"

Cheers
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best Exterior Paint

Here's the link to a thread regarding a problem area I had that provide some insight. I followed the prep recommendations and used Sherwin Williams Duration paint.

Ask me in a few years how it held up.

West end of the house gets beat up by the sun - best way to paint it?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best Exterior Paint

chrisn me since 1985 no boozin and I have always felt the best paint holds up to the best prep work. I'm a big fan of always priming just the way i do the who do
Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Chaz

Best Exterior Paint

Duration is one of the best, that's for sure. If you are new to using it, keep in mind it is properly applied at 7 mil thickness--almost double that of regular paint. If you try and brush it out thin, it won't meet spec and you are wasting your time and money. Don't assume your paint crew (or anyone else's) will know how to use this if they are not trained on it. Monitor coverage rate for the first few cans until you are sure everyone is applying it properly.

This is already a fairly expensive paint, and more so because coverage rate is considerably lower than you might be used to. It is slower to apply, so take that into account if labor costs are a factor.

If you are applying it on a good surface, well prepped, it is very very good. But it won't last a lifetime , and you will never collect on that guarantee.

If opinions count (and I guess that's why you are asking) Consumer Research reports that Duration is the preferred paint recommended by professionals and serious do-it-yourselfers on Internet painting forums. You have to guesstimate if the extra cost for materials and labor are worthwhile. I like SW Super Paint too. It's tough, less expensive, and easier to apply. As a bonus, SW reps have always been great to work with for me.

Last edited by CallMeChaz; 02-06-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

Best Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeChaz View Post
Duration is one of the best, that's for sure. If you are new to using it, keep in mind it is properly applied at 7 mil thickness--almost double that of regular paint. If you try and brush it out thin, it won't meet spec and you are wasting your time and money. Don't assume your paint crew (or anyone else's) will know how to use this if they are not trained on it. Monitor coverage rate for the first few cans until you are sure everyone is applying it properly.

This is already a fairly expensive paint, and more so because coverage rate is considerably lower than you might be used to. It is slower to apply, so take that into account if labor costs are a factor.

If you are applying it on a good surface, well prepped, it is very very good. But it won't last a lifetime , and you will never collect on that guarantee.

If opinions count (and I guess that's why you are asking) Consumer Research reports that Duration is the preferred paint recommended by professionals and serious do-it-yourselfers on Internet painting forums. You have to guesstimate if the extra cost for materials and labor are worthwhile. I like SW Super Paint too. It's tough, less expensive, and easier to apply. As a bonus, SW reps have always been great to work with for me.
I am a long time user of SW products and almost use them exclusively, have a great relationship with my rep and local manager, they stand behind what they say. I have tried Duration exterior, but I still prefer SW Superpaint any day to the exterior Duration, as mentioned proper prep is the answer, along with proper priming. Mil thickness is crucial and even though Duration is self priming if you are applying it to a bare substrate you are still suppose to apply two coats. A manufacture will not honor a warranty if the material is not applied according to specs. If you are a certified SW applicator or have a good relationship with you SW rep they will honour warranties, but as much as I love SW products I have never seen any paint last a lifetime, if they did we would all be out of business.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Best Exterior Paint

I have never seen any paint last a lifetime, if they did we would all be out of business.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Sprayboy-services.com

Best Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Hey, I am ALWAYS calm and haven't had a beer in 15 years!

I also switched to wine. No beer for me either!

Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote