Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Best exterior paint?

I am having the exterior of my house painted. My house is a 90 year old arts and crafts style house mostly wood and brick foundation. I want sherman williams but my paint company wants glidden. Of course to cut corners I'm sure. Does anybody out there know about the quality and difference of the 2. I feel this foreman over the paint company is a little bit of a bully esp. since I am a single woman that has been feeding her kids roman noodles for a year in order to save the money to do this..so the budget is tight...If anyone has any suggestions please holla back ASAP.

drjerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

Best exterior paint?

I wouldn't paint with Glidden on a bet. Used it once

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best exterior paint?

I wouldn't paint with Glidden on a bet using Rehabber's brush on the end of an 8 foot Wooster Sherlock Positive Locking Adjustable Extension Pole
But maybe that's just me...

Sherwin Williams, like many other national brands, has many different lines of differing qualities
I've used both SuperPaint and Duration from SW
SuperPaint is not my favorite to work with, but it is a good paint
Duration is excellent
Either would be fine I'm sure
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 AM   #4

Best exterior paint?

It depends on the exact products involved. Glidden Endurance is a decent paint. The Spred lines have been decent in the past but I can't say much about their recent products.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Best exterior paint?

Find out what part of the Glidden line your painter wants to use. Post it here. The folks here should be able to tell you if it is any good.

You do NOT want to force the painter to use a line of paint he is not familiar with. That leads to all sorts of interesting problems.

Glidden makes some kinds of high-quality paint, just as Sherwin Williams sells some kinds of paint I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It all depends on where in the Glidden line your painter is buying from.

Just like some folks here prefer Sherwin, others swear by Ben Moore, yet others go for Muralo, California, Porter, or any one of a zillion different regional brands. Almost all of them make good, (usually expensive) paint, and almost all of them also sell low-end paint. (Behr, however, is almost universally regarded here as a waste of perfectly good paint pails.)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
Pro Painter

Best exterior paint?

There are several questions to ask yourself, since this is an arts & crafts house. When was the last time it was painted and how much has is worn since then? Is the paint peeling or cracking? Is the house preserved in the original state?

Are you paying the painter to do details and further preserve the house?

Is you budget such that you just have to get some paint on it to save it?

What it comes down to is how long you want the paint to last. If this is a budget job and the painter is very reasonable, he may not want to see a more expensive paint on the house while he gives a good deal on labor.

Another scenario is that he knows the house will need painting again soon, not because of the quality of the paint, but because it's not feasable to do the right prep at this time.

The older homes don't have vapor barriers and gasses from inside the house tend to push the paint off over time. A "good" glidden will last as long as an average Sherwin/Williams or Benjamin Moore, if the house isn't restored.

Otherwise, if you want spend more on paint and get something for it, you'll need to go very high end, like SW Duration etc.

Lots of questions to answer before choosing the paint and being firm about it with your painter. He may get a good discount on a certain line of paint and charge you more. This is also something to consider.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Pro re-work contractor

Best exterior paint?

DURATION BABY! This is the best paint to come along for exterior. It really holds up in Chicago where we get -20 below zero and 120 above not to mention 500 % humidity (feels like it) and no humidity. I know, are weather sucks. But this paint was designed for it. I have been using it since the day it came out in 1999. The jobs I have done that I get back to have been the "test of time" as they say.
analog414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Best exterior paint?

How about Lowes Duramax?
davefoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #9

Best exterior paint?

Here throughout the Arizona desert, Dunn-Edwards is clearly the exterior paint of choice among professionals, architects, designers and homeowners. It can stand up to the intense heat, UV and monsoon. It has excellent one-coat coverage and Floetrol can be added without any concern of compromise to the final job's quality. It can be thinned for spraying and still offer good coverage. Their Acri-Flat Exterior paint/stain can be used equally well on stucco and wood and their color choices are extremely broad.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 502

Best exterior paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
How about Lowes Duramax?
Lowes/Home Depot-only paints = lousy paint.

Get your paint from an actual paint store, and purchase from at or near the top of their lines, and you won't be sorry.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Pro Painter

Best exterior paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Grain View Post
Here throughout the Arizona desert, Dunn-Edwards is clearly the exterior paint of choice among professionals, architects, designers and homeowners. It can stand up to the intense heat, UV and monsoon. It has excellent one-coat coverage and Floetrol can be added without any concern of compromise to the final job's quality. It can be thinned for spraying and still offer good coverage. Their Acri-Flat Exterior paint/stain can be used equally well on stucco and wood and their color choices are extremely broad.
I'm a transplant from chicago to las vegas. Did a house with acri-flat "paint-stain". I'm also a pro painter with 25 yrs. experience. Just the fact that they can't decide if it's a paint or a stain puts me off. Not being able to find any meaningful info, like an msds, also puts me off. What are they hiding?

I'm open to DE products, but pricing and quality have not impressed me yet.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #12

Best exterior paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewho View Post
I'm a transplant from chicago to las vegas. Did a house with acri-flat "paint-stain". I'm also a pro painter with 25 yrs. experience. Just the fact that they can't decide if it's a paint or a stain puts me off. Not being able to find any meaningful info, like an msds, also puts me off. What are they hiding?

I'm open to DE products, but pricing and quality have not impressed me yet.
Here's a link to MSDS sheets that may prove helpful:

http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/co...asp?content=77
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
jms

Best exterior paint?

You may what to get some more estimates with different painters. If you are
paying with your hard earned money. You get what you pay for these days.
If not prepped right it does not matter what paint you use you will be wasting
your money. Sherwin williams will last forever if done right. Other paints will
look nice but may not last very long.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Pro Painter

Best exterior paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Grain View Post
Here's a link to MSDS sheets that may prove helpful:

http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/co...asp?content=77