The Best Diy Spray Bedliner - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

The best diy spray bedliner

I see a lot of similar prices with DIY retail bedliners, It seems that herculiner, al's liner and spray-lining have the best materials and support. Is there a real difference between these bedliner kits? I am trying to understand polyurea, polyurethane, polyurea/urethane and it seems that these are all polyureas with polyurethane... What is the deal with this?

Advertisement

Last edited by bclinton; 12-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Long story short - polyurea tends to not like Ultra Violet light (sunlight) too much - whereas urethane does quite well. The polyurea hybrids are also available in brush/roll varieties for the DIY enthusiast.

Advertisement

ask4dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,654

The best DIY spray liner is marginal at best. I did it....in retrospect, I wish I had spent a couple hundred more and let someone else do it right with spray in.....

Once you do DIY....the effort to fix it is enormous.....almost easier to just get a new truck bed.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Always bit the bullet and had liners installed or sprayed by a pro. All of them performed flawlessly. Well worth the money. From observation of those who tried the DIY products, and as mentioned, the need to repair them is inevitable and near impossible.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-22-2013), Kacee (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

I didn't notice any emails letting me know that there were responses. Weird. So, the thought of doing it myself and not having any way to go backwards or repair is scary. So, the solution because I am a cheap b is to research this process as much as possible before buying a DIY kit or deciding to get it done professionally. I have decided that it is important for me to literally see the diy kits applied BEFORE picking a brand. I have seen some herculiner and raptor jobs. Even though I hear a lot of good reviews on line about these, I did not like them that much when looking up close. I mean they have a reasonable texture, but the slip resistance and thickness does not seem to be that good. It seems more like a paint with some stuff added to give the appearance of a polyurea. I saw Spray-Lining and they had a tough and THICK bedliner. I mean it was probably 2 times thicker than the Raptor if not more. I also called them while shopping because they had a pretty extensive shopping cart where the other companies, not so much. Their customer support seemed pretty awesome. The guy I spoke with was talking about how to vary the texture via the gun settings and modifying the mixture ratios. I felt pretty comfortable with his knowledge level. He also talked to me for half an hour and I hadn't even bought anything yet. So, I am feeling better about trying this out. But, I am still researching. Wish me luck.
Kacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

For me it depends on the worth of the truck. If you drive a old pick up and you may be looking to get rid of it in a couple years. Get DIY...if newer with little too no blemishes get it done by a pro. Too many people these days put too much money into crap vehicles. And never think twice when they get the 500 bucks on their trade in. But to answer your question Herculiner by far

Advertisement

big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote