Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
DIY til I die

Share |

best deck stain to use we want bark color and

a solid stain - but what kind is the best

mbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

if you are going to use a solid I would use Cabot Solid in there alkyld formula, they have a few colors that are close to bark i.e bark mulch, mission brown, bark, over 100 colors to choose, I only listed a couple colors that we have used that may be what you are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
DIY til I die

how much is Cabot's per gallon and how long does it last - approx
thanks
mbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

It will last just as long as any other quality stain, your walking surface will fade away before the railings, most stains will only give you 2-3 years. Proper preperation is the key, proper cleaning and brightening of the wood will also open up the pours, so the wood will accept the stain the way it should, just dont use cleaning products containing bleach and if you use acidicts then you will have to neutralize the wood after.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Cabot solid alkyd has not been available out here for a few years
If you were in my area, or an area like mine legal-wise, for a solid stain I'd suggest the hybrids of Superdeck or Sikkens first, followed by the water-based Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams for a solid deck stain
Any/All would be good if you can't get an oil solid

PS. If you can still get an oil solid, I've found the Sikkens Rubol to be the best bar none
The C/BM oil solids were all pretty good though, but at this point I'd still defer to the Superdeck/Sikkens hybrids for future re-coating reasons
ie: you might be able to re-coat with Cabot Oil Solid right now, but you won't when the time comes for a maint./re-coat, and the switch is a bitc*, so might as well do it now and save the future labor
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Oil/alkyd stains are scarce and rare to come by here, but I still get them and use them on a regular

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny;
Oil/alkyd stains are scarce and rare to come by here, but I still get them and use them on a regular
If you're talkin' solids, then God Bless You and keep your mouth shut as they will take them away eventually (as they have the rest of us)
The Sikkens Rubol DEK (oil-based solid) has been my problem solving Go-To solid for years
I'm freaked I can not get it around here anymore
If NY can still get it, let me know
I'm sure my supplier would pay (and charge) a premium to still be able to get oil-based solids
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Talking about solid and semi-solid, when it comes to transparent or semi-transparent stainsa I use sikens, I have not used sikens in a while though, but here they are removing some stains, have to check to see if they still sell it here in oil/alkyd

Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #9

My local BM dealer had some last month. Straight oils are becoming harder to get. Last year I couldn't get may favorite oil based deck enamel. I had to go with some aluminum paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

I like a semi-transparent acrylic in Wood RX. It lasts a long time and you can get different colors.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #11

Cabot's oil has been re-formulate and should be available in most areas. We still are able to sell it and get it in Massachusetts. Sikkens is one of the better products on the market but the Rubbol DEK oil is being discontinued in favor of the Rubbol Solid DEK which is an acrylic/alkyd hybrid. Other new products that have hit the market are Ben Moore's Arborcoat which is a waterbourne product. All will be good if the substrate is prepped properly, prep is key.

BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote