Best Ceiling Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best ceiling paint?

What paint do you use for ceilings? I'm looking for a one coat ceiling paint. I think my old boss used super hide from Benjamin Moore.. but im not sure which white color he used, or if they have a ceiling version. Ceilings are a *****, they thrash my back and neck, so one coat would save me time, money and my spine.

Advertisement

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 330

Best ceiling paint?

I like to use Sherwin Williams Promar 200 -Flat- Extra white.

Advertisement

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Best ceiling paint?

BM's Super Hide (just plain) White is often used for ceilings
It's a bit gray (to help with the "super" hide), and some prefer it to the very white Muresco Ceiling White (also by Ben Moore)

Truthfully, the Muresco is a better ceiling paint with higher hiding and less splatter...and it's pretty white
But I would not be surprised if your boss was getting away with one coat on easy re-paints with Super Hide White
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

Best ceiling paint?

I've enjoyed great results in one room with the Glidden paint that goes on pink and dries white. (The color changing property makes it next to impossible to miss a spot.)

It's available at Home Depot. I plan to use it throughout my house.
thegonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Underground Techie

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
I've enjoyed great results in one room with the Glidden paint that goes on pink and dries white. (The color changing property makes it next to impossible to miss a spot.)

It's available at Home Depot. I plan to use it throughout my house.
I have used that alot, and I found that it tends to leave lines along the edges, and doesn't seem to go on very uniformly. I don't like it, and I am planning on looking for something else to use in the future. I do like the nice flat white finish though, maybe in a better paint...
sevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

Best ceiling paint?

I was using SWP Classic99 Flat Extra White, but have transitioned to SWP ProMar 200 Extra White. Really any mid-grade flat white paint from just about any real paint store should do fine. Don't put on the cheapest watered-down junk the store sells, but no need for Duration or Aura here either.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
BM's Super Hide (just plain) White is often used for ceilings
It's a bit gray (to help with the "super" hide), and some prefer it to the very white Muresco Ceiling White (also by Ben Moore)

Truthfully, the Muresco is a better ceiling paint with higher hiding and less splatter...and it's pretty white
But I would not be surprised if your boss was getting away with one coat on easy re-paints with Super Hide White
I concur Muresco is an excellent ceiling paint. The paint is much thicker, which results in less splatter.
diyseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #8

Best ceiling paint?

I'll take Sears Ceiling White any day over Benjamin Moore Muresco.

I read the posts here, then bought 3 gallons to freshen the paint in the living/dining room of my home.

The paint is okay, but when I paint the beige wall color, it's not covering.

So white-on-white may work okay, but it's not great.
Chick's Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

Best ceiling paint?

hi for what its worth ive worked as a painter for 27 years and as far as im concerned muresco sucks its over priced and not very flat and WILL NOT TOUCH UP the best paint for your money is an ICI product #7700 flat you can get it at any Glidden dealer i have used it for years and have seen no better productgood luck BB
bb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #10

Best ceiling paint?

Sherwin Williams CHB add a shot of black, 1 oz per gal.
DGideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,068

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb45 View Post
hi for what its worth ive worked as a painter for 27 years and as far as im concerned muresco sucks its over priced and not very flat and WILL NOT TOUCH UP the best paint for your money is an ICI product #7700 flat you can get it at any Glidden dealer i have used it for years and have seen no better productgood luck BB
No offence, but I have gone through countless gallons of Muresco's and the stuff rox. I have covered some pretty strange things with it thinking that it will never cover it and it always does. I always get the 2 gallon containers and with my contractors discount it is righ at $45. I am not familiar with the product you mention but I sure hope it isn't actually made by Glidden. Most of the stuff I have seen from Glidden is at the bottom of the food chain.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #12

Best ceiling paint?

I needed to repair a section of my ceiling, which has popcorn texture. I did not want to scrape the texture off, it is a very large ceiling and it would take too long to do. I used the color changing spray that went from blue to white; this should have only taken 24 hours to change to white. After a week it is still blue. I thought that when I painted the ceiling that it would take care of the blue. I went to Menards and bought the color changing paint from Dutch Boy, and on most of the ceiling after 48 hours it still has a blue tint. In the spot that had the popcorn ceiling repair, it is really blue. I don’t understand why this new product should take so long to change color. I would not recommend the Dutch Boy line of paint. It is very runny and it spatters and it streaks. I have used Benjamin Moore paints in the past, I only used the Dutch Boy to try and save some money. I however did not save any money or time. I guess it is true, “you get what you pay for” Has anyone usedPittsburghPaints, is it worth it to try?
jbratko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #13

Best ceiling paint?

I recently painted a ceiling with Ben Moore's new waterbourne ceiling paint. Went on very easily and it is dead flat.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #14

Best ceiling paint?

I just used Valspar's "goes on purple" ceiling paint and it was awful! By far the thinnest paint I've ever used (thinner than regular paint with latex extender!) and splattered everywhere.

Advertisement

cevamal is offline   Reply With Quote