Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Share |

Best ceiling paint?

I am painting all the ceilings at my parents home. They are all popcorn. Have all been painted many times. I am looking for some opinions on the best ceiling paint.

I tried PPG for the first time, and it was no better than Behr. Used to use Behr all the time for ceilings, but the last few times, even after 2 coats, it still isn't covering. A couple years ago I tried priming first. That works if you want to do three coats. Even with the primer, I still needed two finish coats.

Whats your favorite ceiling paint? I know I will have to do 2 coats, but what will look good after two coats?

Thanks

paullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Best ceiling paint?

ppg gold can. not the blue

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
I am painting all the ceilings at my parents home. They are all popcorn. Have all been painted many times. I am looking for some opinions on the best ceiling paint.

I tried PPG for the first time, and it was no better than Behr. Used to use Behr all the time for ceilings, but the last few times, even after 2 coats, it still isn't covering. A couple years ago I tried priming first. That works if you want to do three coats. Even with the primer, I still needed two finish coats.

Whats your favorite ceiling paint? I know I will have to do 2 coats, but what will look good after two coats?

Thanks
Interesting. I think most people will agree when I say popcorn ceilings are of the devil - but there is something seriously wrong if you're having to put 3 coats over popcorn that has "been painted many times"... The first thing that comes to my mind is your parents house is heated by a wood or oil burning stove and you're trying to paint over residual creosote or other such oily deposits that have settled on the ceiling...or possibly your parents are extremely heavy smokers which often times result in stained ceilings that can be difficult to cover with paint.

The reason I offer up these possibilities is that ceiling paints (quality lines, at least) are built to hide...and hide they do. Manufacturers assemble ceiling paints to hide, at the cost of washability and stain resistance, because theoretically, people don't wash ceilings like they do their walls - by backing off those components that create washability and film integrity, they can deliver a product that covers like a blanket 'cause NOBODY wants to paint a ceiling twice (let alone 3X).

One other possibility is technique. The best paint won't perform well if the technique is wrong. Unfortunately, we don't know what you know or do not know about application, so...Are you employing a proper technique? Are you using the right & best tools (roller covers, frames, extension poles etc.) to apply the best paint? Are you spreading your paint too thin? Are you thinning your paint so the film will better conform to the texture of the popcorn? Any of these, and other issues can result in poor performance on any ceiling - especially popcorn ceilings (did I happen to mention they may be of the devil?).

There are many good brands of ceiling paint out there. I have used PPG's, but honestly don't remember if it was a gold or blue label (it worked great, btw). I have used dozens of regional brands that perform equally as well, let me know what part of the world you live in and I can recommend a local brand to try...Many on this forum swear by Ben Moore's Ceiling Paint - no offense to Sherwin Williams, but I didn't particularly care for their ceiling paint(s), not because they don't work - they did - it was because they spattered more than other brands I had tested and worked with.

Anyway, you've got plenty of options - good luck.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-01-2013), ToolSeeker (02-03-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Best ceiling paint?

Don't know which PPG I tried. I don't think its my technique, I have painted a lot of ceilings. I have usually used Behr with good results, but the last few times it doesn't seem to cover very well. Don't know if they have changed their paint. I did buy it in the 2 gal buckets the last few times, and I am wondering if it is different paint. They say its the same, but its a lot cheaper.

These ceilings are dirty. I have never thinned the paint. I am not sure how that would help. It seems like the dirtier areas just bleed through. Maybe I will give Benjamin Moore a try.
paullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Best ceiling paint?

Maybe you need a coat of stain killer before painting.If the ceiling is stained 5 coats of paint won't hide it.It needs to be sealed first.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
Don't know which PPG I tried. I don't think its my technique, I have painted a lot of ceilings. I have usually used Behr with good results, but the last few times it doesn't seem to cover very well. Don't know if they have changed their paint. I did buy it in the 2 gal buckets the last few times, and I am wondering if it is different paint. They say its the same, but its a lot cheaper.

These ceilings are dirty. I have never thinned the paint. I am not sure how that would help. It seems like the dirtier areas just bleed through. Maybe I will give Benjamin Moore a try.
No - you're exactly right. Thinning wouldn't help - matter-o-fact, it'd make it worse. That wasn't a recommendation (sorry for the poor wording on that) - some people will over thin product without weighing, or even realizing, the consequences. Depending on what type of time frame you're talking about, Behr absolutely has changed their formulations...because all manufacturers have had to change formulation to stay compliant with new VOC regs. I've never used Behr Paints - never tested 'em...but there's not a whole lot of love for Behr on this forum.

Try the BM product, and talk to the dealer about what's been going on - he/she should be able to guide you through the least painful app for those ceilings...again, good luck.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Best ceiling paint?

On the advice of ChrisN, I began to use this PPG Ultra Ceiling paint I buy from Menards........I don't know that it is exactly what Chris suggested to use, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it covers in a nice bright white. As a pro, there is nothing more frustrating than having to cover a ceiling 2, 3, or 4 times. In a perfect world you want ONE coat coverage on a FLAT ceiling. My thinking is why waste your money putting paint on a ceiling that no one really looks at if you can use the homeowners budget to put a high quality paint on the walls that everyone sees. Just my two cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Best ceiling paint?-ppg8122-1.jpg  
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Best ceiling paint?

I just used that this week myself- i under bid a multiple ceiling job where i would have used my usual go to ceiling paint- BM Muresco- but gave that a try ( also from Menards).
Flat ceiling- prime and 2 ( new rock with a light knockdown) .
Did the trick.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
On the advice of ChrisN, I began to use this PPG Ultra Ceiling paint I buy from Menards........I don't know that it is exactly what Chris suggested to use, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it covers in a nice bright white. As a pro, there is nothing more frustrating than having to cover a ceiling 2, 3, or 4 times. In a perfect world you want ONE coat coverage on a FLAT ceiling. My thinking is why waste your money putting paint on a ceiling that no one really looks at if you can use the homeowners budget to put a high quality paint on the walls that everyone sees. Just my two cents.

That is not the CAN I get at the ppg store, but maybe it is the same thing as I get, who knows, no mehnards around here.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
That is not the CAN I get at the ppg store, but maybe it is the same thing as I get, who knows, no mehnards around here.
Based on your description, Chris, I didn't think it was the same thing, but, in the end, it seems to perform as you said it would, so, for me, that's what counts! And, it's under $20 a gallon, even better!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Based on your description, Chris, I didn't think it was the same thing, but, in the end, it seems to perform as you said it would, so, for me, that's what counts! And, it's under $20 a gallon, even better!

yea, can't beat that,I think I pay $28
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #12

Best ceiling paint?

The OP doesn't say where he is But where I am PPG is very hard to get. The nearest PPG store I know of is in Orlando that's a little over 100 miles.
A cold chill just went up my back thinking about someone having to remove that popcorn with all that paint on it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Painting Contractor CT

Best ceiling paint?

We have used Sherwin Williams Master Hide on ceilings for a long time and have had great results. Depending on the condition of the ceiling and color, you might have to apply two coats.

Good Luck!

http:www.kdpaintingct.com
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

Best ceiling paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
The OP doesn't say where he is But where I am PPG is very hard to get. The nearest PPG store I know of is in Orlando that's a little over 100 miles.
A cold chill just went up my back thinking about someone having to remove that popcorn with all that paint on it.
TS, according to the PPG website there is a place called Star Scenic Supply on Princeton that may carry PPG paints.......don't know how accurate that info is........

*NOTE* Just checked their website and they appear to be a Faux Finishing store and I saw no signs of PPG paint products.

Last edited by Gymschu; 02-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-04-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #15

Best ceiling paint?

Prime with: B-I-N by Zinsser Alcohol based Pigmented Shellac. it will kill all stains, spray it if possible, then 1 coat of Shewin Williams Promar 200, or Classic 99, which ever you can afford. I spent 30+ years as a Union painter and this is what I would use ! Good Luck and wear a respirator with that B-I-N !!!

b679995 is offline   Reply With Quote