Best Brand Of Exterior Latex House Paint For The Deep South - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Question

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I have a house located along the Mississippi gulf coast which needs to be repainted, what's the best brand of exterior latex house paint in a satin or low gloss finish that will hold up well in my area which has high humidity during the summer? Also when is the best time of the year to paint the outside of a house located in the deep south? My house in Biloxi, Mississippi is located about 3 miles north of the gulf. The last time the house was painted was about 15 years ago, the paint used then was Sears Weatherbeater.

Advertisement

Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,855
Rewards Points: 2,218
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I would go to your local real paint store not a big box and ask.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Sherwin Williams Duration, Best and most proven paint on the market!
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would go to your local real paint store not a big box and ask.
I wanted to sign up and join the "Pro-Painter's" forum to avoid answers like yours but since I'm not a pro painter I couldn't join. I have already looked at paint by Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore on their websites and hope to get more feedback from others besides "I would go to your local real paint store not a big box and ask."

I'm looking for feedback from others who have used a specific brand and type of exterior house paint and what kind of results they received. If I went to a local company owned paint store to ask I would get recommendations slanted towards that company's brand of paint. To the others who posted thanks for your advice. Why can't a non-painter like myself who is after information on exterior house paint join the "Pro-Painter's" forum because it's input from a pro that I'm really after unless some pro painters participate here?
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


My brother owns his own painting company for 28 years in Florida. Depending on what type of siding your painting look into Sherwin Williams Super Paint. Duration is a great paint but at about 47 dollars a gallon that could be a little expensive. As far as the 20 year and lifetime warranty? They don't last forever. A lot of the warranty is for flaking or chipping. Reality, its gonna get dirty and its gonna fade, especially in the South. Hope this helps
skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I just had a guy come out here to give me an estimate, I thought it was low and I won't discuss prices because this board might prohibit discussing prices but I asked the guy how many gallons were in his estimate, he said "5" gallons of primer and "5" gallons of paint. He planned to use Sherwin Williams A-100 paint. I told him I thought "5" gallons was kind of low, he said not.

The house hasn't been painted in about 20 years, my double car carport has plywood overhead and I'm no painter but I would image it would take the entire "5" gallons just to paint the carport area. The guy said if it looks like I need to go buy more paint I'll just go buy more paint. I told him I'd get back with him which I probably won't.

The only thing about this guy is he's good at replacing damaged wood which the house has lots of and most other painters I've called tell me right up front they only paint, they don't replace any wood. Well before the house can be painted the bad wood will have to be replaced I would think.
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SE Mich
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I had my exterior painted last summer with SW Superpaint. Considered Duration but heard there are some issues with it on aluminum siding if the painter isn't very comfortable with it. I am in Michigan, so quite a different type of harsh climate but still harsh.

I am quite pleased with the paint, looks great. Seems like it will hold up for a long time. I don't recall how many gallons they used, but make sure you get 2 coats of the paint. And they should be powerwashing and sanding existing paint as well as patching up any rough spots and caulking everywhere.

Don't know the costs down there but I was quoted from $1400 up to $2500 for the job. House is about 1750 s.f.

Hope this helps.
JP in Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 997
Rewards Points: 532
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I would use Sherwin Williams Superpaint, as that is primarily what we use on all of our exterior re-paints and have great results on wood, vinyl, hardiboard and aluminium siding. we have used it for years and have never had a problem, I've tried other exterior paints, but am very happy with the results of the Superpaint, all of our work also comes with a written labor warranty, which I would not offer if I was using another brand of paint, besides Sherwin Williams, as far as the estimate that you rec. 5 gallons of paint to paint a house sounds really low.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I would use Sherwin Williams Superpaint, as that is primarily what we use on all of our exterior re-paints and have great results on wood, vinyl, hardiboard and aluminium siding. we have used it for years and have never had a problem, I've tried other exterior paints, but am very happy with the results of the Superpaint, all of our work also comes with a written labor warranty, which I would not offer if I was using another brand of paint, besides Sherwin Williams, as far as the estimate that you rec. 5 gallons of paint to paint a house sounds really low.
When the guy told me "5" gallons of primer coat and "5" gallons of paint I knew he was off the mark. I had one of the columns on my carport replaced several years ago, the guy who installed the new column soaked the lower 2 feet of it in some kind of dark green solution, I think it was to prevent rot then came back in a day and painted 2 primer coats of Benjamim Moore exterior latex followed by 2 coats of B
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Question

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


I was typing a detailed post then something happened, part of my post got posted and the other part didn't. I'll try to repost later. Does this board time you out if you take too long to submit a post like some other boards do?
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,855
Rewards Points: 2,218
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
I wanted to sign up and join the "Pro-Painter's" forum to avoid answers like yours but since I'm not a pro painter I couldn't join. I have already looked at paint by Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore on their websites and hope to get more feedback from others besides "I would go to your local real paint store not a big box and ask."

I'm looking for feedback from others who have used a specific brand and type of exterior house paint and what kind of results they received. If I went to a local company owned paint store to ask I would get recommendations slanted towards that company's brand of paint. To the others who posted thanks for your advice. Why can't a non-painter like myself who is after information on exterior house paint join the "Pro-Painter's" forum because it's input from a pro that I'm really after unless some pro painters participate here?

I am and have been a professional painter for 25 years. I could not answer your specific question because I have never been to where you are located.I answered as Best I could and still find it a reasonable answer. If you go to ANY real paint store and get their best quality exterior 100% latex paint, do the proper prep work, you have your answer.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
I was typing a detailed post then something happened, part of my post got posted and the other part didn't. I'll try to repost later. Does this board time you out if you take too long to submit a post like some other boards do?
I do not think so
I have had a post window open for over 30 minutes before I realized I never hit reply
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I am and have been a professional painter for 25 years. I could not answer your specific question because I have never been to where you are located.I answered as Best I could and still find it a reasonable answer. If you go to ANY real paint store and get their best quality exterior 100% latex paint, do the proper prep work, you have your answer.
Living along the Mississippi gulf coast, an area that saw so many home owners taken by fraudulent contractors right after Hurricane Katrina I do not want to become another victim. I'm 100% disabled and am having to use a walking cane so I will not be the one doing the painting, I'll have to hire someone to do it. Like I said before every paint store will give you their slant on their paint which is why I use the internet to do research and to also participate on boards such as this to get good solids answers for guidance, answers other than "Go to any real paint store to check".
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Biloxi, MS USA
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I do not think so
I have had a post window open for over 30 minutes before I realized I never hit reply
Without having to retype my book report which somehow partially got deleted I had asked if you can post pictures here and is there a formula painters use to determine how much paint it will take to paint a house? My house was built back in the early 60's, is primarily brick except for wood columns on the front porch and on my carport area, no garage, the over head area of my double car carport is done in plywood which is painted as is my front porch overhead area. There is also wood trim all around the house near the roof. To me that seems like it would require a lot of paint, more than "5" gallons of primer followed by "5" gallons of paint. This guy who came yesterday in my opinion way underestimated the amount of paint that he would need to do the job.
Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SE Mich
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best brand of exterior latex house paint for the deep south


Well figure out how much surface are you are painting. A gallon of paint should cover around 350 square feet or so for one coat.

Advertisement

JP in Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best way to paint the entire interior of our house? Shpigford Painting 21 07-17-2011 06:51 PM
Flashing NoExperience Painting 13 09-04-2008 06:56 AM
Paint or stain for shingled house? skwpt Painting 6 09-19-2007 07:41 AM
Complete AC installation in Old Capitol Hill Row House jacko10 HVAC 0 09-18-2007 06:42 PM
New House Paint Not Sure Painting 11 09-20-2006 09:11 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts