Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Share |

Best acrylic paint for trim and cabinets??????

Hello All--- first time poster here.

I actually have two subjects. I'll start with the one from the title of my post.

I have trim and cabinets that have already been painted, but I'm looking for a new best paint that I can use on everything. I've used Behr before and more recently picked up some Pro Classic (all water based acrylic) for touching up the kitchen cabinets. Those places on the doors where fingers touch just don't hold up and have to be redone occassionally. So, going forward I want to choose the best paint possible and stick with it-- so I have consistency. I don't care about cost--just getting the best paint and one that will be fairly easy to apply. I've told my wife to put "couldn't leave well enough alone" -- I have trouble applying and walking away. I've read about Aura, Duration, ProClassic (which I've used) and others, but opinions are many and I'm confused about what route to take here. On my shelf of paints, I have a mix of SW and BM paints and I'm not loyal to either, but I'd like to go with something from one of those two stores. My exterior trim and siding is BM (Moorgaurd and Arborcoat) and my deck is SW deck paint. I'm not really interested in oil or hybrids--- just a rock solid waterborne acrylic that is fairly easy to apply. Stick with ProClassic or move to something else?

Ok,this brings me to the second issue. Much of the trim in my house was painted in oil originally and has yellowed. Unknowingly, I painted over some of it with latex and out of dumb luck, most of it has adhered pretty well. Perhaps it was because the oil had a number of years on it. In a few places, however, it hasn't stuck as well as I had hoped. My plan is to sand and prime any of the trim that I've recoated in latex, as well as the stuff that is oil. For the latex coated oil, I'll just go after the problem areas and get as much of it as I can. So the question here is, does this sound like a good plan and what primer should I use. I've read that I should use an oil primer, but I've also been told that I could use latex primer (Fresh Start). A guy at one of the paint stores even said he would just go straight waterborne paint -- no sand/no prime.....?

Thanks for the input!

EasternJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

Definitely "search" on here and do lots of reading as this topic comes up at least once or twice a month.

You will get as many opinions as there are members on here. I personally like SW's Proclassic waterborne. I don't know why exactly, I guess I like the way it lays on the surface and levels out to a glassy hard finish. You may or may not like that type of finish. It is hard to work with as you can get runs and you can't overwork the paint or you end up with "dead" spots in your finish.

As for primer for old, glossy, oil finishes, I like Zinsser's 1-2-3 water based. In 34 years of painting I have found it to be the most cost effective, easy to use bonding primer on the market and it smells so much better than an oil-based product.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks, Gymschu. I've only really rolled on some of the ProClassic as touch-up on the cabinets, so I don't have much experience brushing it. I suppose I could take a piece of scrap wood and brush some on to try it. I do like that it is specifically designed for cabinets and trim, but I just wanted to be sure I was making the best possible choice before going down that road. It seems that there are higher end paints at SW and BM, but that they aren't necessarily the best fit for cabinets and trim.

Thanks for the primer advice as well. I also like the idea of a water based primer and it sounds like a pretty good endorsement of that Zinseer product.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

"Those places on the doors where fingers touch just don't hold up and have to be redone occassionally."
I'd like to ask you this - and I'd be looking for an honest answer from you:

Do you feel that the quality of the previous paints is responsible for the lack of performance on your cabinets, and is that why you are looking for a better quality paint?

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Well, I've used a mix of paints on my cabinets, but I'm pretty sure it has been Behr. My kitchen cabinets are a light green and I painted my bathroom cabinets white. The were all 1988 stained dark oak originally. I believe I used a Kilz or similar product originally and then coated with the Behr semi-gloss. For the most part, all of this paint has held up pretty well (much of it for 10 years or more). The only really trouble areas are where our hands touch-- like the top of the door under the sink. Our greasy, acidic (lots of tomatoes at my house), soap covered, and who knows what else (probably some sunscreen mixed in) hands touch those areas regularly and the latex just tends to soften. We could have used oil, but I didn't want to deal with the smell or the clean up or the yellowing. So, every couple years, I sand/peel, recoat with some primer and reapply paint. This is also true for the door to the garage--- right around where the handle is. I've told my wife that if we actually used pulls and door knobs, we probably wouldn't have to repaint.

Would this have happened with better paint? I'm not sure. The key going forward is that I have a whole lot of trim that is still oil and lots of touching up to do where it was originally latex and has gotten soft, and I want to use the best paint possible-- possibly in hopes of getting better results on the cabinets and getting something very solid over the oil. This mix of paints throughout the house is making me crazy. If you came to my house to paint, I'd have to make a map of which trim was oil and which was latex originally or latex over oil---- ughhhh.

Really, I want the best paint and I want to use the best approach, which is why I also asked about priming and sanding the oil. I look back at paint buying decisions in the past and I scratch my head at what brand I was buying. Now, I want the best so any problems with the finish will most definitely be user error and not the paint!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

Eastern, you're on the right track. Others will fill you in with info about Benjamin Moore cabinet paints or other companies with quality cabinet paints. I mostly use SW so that is what I know the best.......but, there certainly are equals to Proclassic out there I'm sure. As for your finger mark areas........with painted cabinets ( no matter what paint you use) that is always going to be an issue. With higher quality paints, the marks wipe off without taking some of the paint off. So, like I said, you're on the right track with this project.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks again Gymschu. I have both stores near my house, so I'm ok with either. I probably going with a BM color, but SW can match it if I stick with the ProClassic or other.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

As far as BM trim paints- I have used Aura Satin- works great- dries very fast so is a bit hard to handle without a little practice ) and a splash of water..)
Advance is a waterborne oil- works like a WB, wears like an oil.

Impervo Waterborne was their first replacement for oil trim, some still like it the best.

If it were me , I think I'd go with Advance.

Read direction on all- they each have their quirks ( as all WB do..)
Gymschu (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

As brush said the Advance is very nice,I just got done doing some new cabs with it and am very happy( so is the client)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternJ View Post
A guy at one of the paint stores even said he would just go straight waterborne paint
Be careful with the terminology - I read your post and I can't even understand what you're looking for. You don't want "hybrid". But what most people mean when they say "waterborne" is probably what you mean by "hybrid" - which is a "waterborne" alkyd. It gets confusing and I don't know if there are hard and fast definitions, but "water based" paint usually means the solvent is water. "Waterborne" basically means the "vehicle" is water even if it isn't the solvent. ProClassic keeps it confusing because it says "waterbased acrylic alkyd" on the label.

Anyway, these finishes shouldn't scare you. They are soap and water cleanup. Some are made of plant based oils now (soy or whatever). You don't need paint thinner to clean your dishes after a meal just because you have some vegetable oil on them. So if cleanup isn't hard, what's your issue with a "hybrid"? You should seriously consider a paint like Advance. There's really no reason I see that you should be repainting every couple years.

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

And if I'm not mistaken (possible, just not probable) both pro classic and advance are enamels which should be easier to clean and a harder finish maybe less open to the other things that seemed to soften the other paint.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
And if I'm not mistaken (possible, just not probable) both pro classic and advance are enamels
Oh no, don't get us started on the definition of that one! For example, Behr's "Flat Enamel" acrylic wall paint.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #13

Flat enamel is like jumbo shrimp.

Enamel is shiny, and hard. Flat is not.

Flat enamel is just not very shiny..it still has a sheen.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #14

I think I mentioned somewhere - it looks like Behr is replacing the term "flat enamel" on their labels with "matte" - which seems to be becoming standard in the industry for just a bit more sheen than flat, which is kinda weird because in English matte is basically a synonym for flat.

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-30-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternJ View Post
Hello All--- first time poster here.

I actually have two subjects. I'll start with the one from the title of my post.

I have trim and cabinets that have already been painted, but I'm looking for a new best paint that I can use on everything. I've used Behr before and more recently picked up some Pro Classic (all water based acrylic) for touching up the kitchen cabinets. Those places on the doors where fingers touch just don't hold up and have to be redone occassionally. So, going forward I want to choose the best paint possible and stick with it-- so I have consistency. I don't care about cost--just getting the best paint and one that will be fairly easy to apply. I've told my wife to put "couldn't leave well enough alone" -- I have trouble applying and walking away. I've read about Aura, Duration, ProClassic (which I've used) and others, but opinions are many and I'm confused about what route to take here. On my shelf of paints, I have a mix of SW and BM paints and I'm not loyal to either, but I'd like to go with something from one of those two stores. My exterior trim and siding is BM (Moorgaurd and Arborcoat) and my deck is SW deck paint. I'm not really interested in oil or hybrids--- just a rock solid waterborne acrylic that is fairly easy to apply. Stick with ProClassic or move to something else?

Ok,this brings me to the second issue. Much of the trim in my house was painted in oil originally and has yellowed. Unknowingly, I painted over some of it with latex and out of dumb luck, most of it has adhered pretty well. Perhaps it was because the oil had a number of years on it. In a few places, however, it hasn't stuck as well as I had hoped. My plan is to sand and prime any of the trim that I've recoated in latex, as well as the stuff that is oil. For the latex coated oil, I'll just go after the problem areas and get as much of it as I can. So the question here is, does this sound like a good plan and what primer should I use. I've read that I should use an oil primer, but I've also been told that I could use latex primer (Fresh Start). A guy at one of the paint stores even said he would just go straight waterborne paint -- no sand/no prime.....?

Thanks for the input!
I have been using the waterborne alkyds quite a bit lately mostly from SW, BM and Pittsburg and I have to tell you the more I use them the less I like them. It dries to quick so too thin a coat and it never gets a chance to lay down like it should. Too thick and it runs. I am finding it to be much more of a pain in the butt than it is worth. Floetrol and water seems to help a little, but just a little.

One thing I would like to point out is if you don't like the way oil based has held up with finger prints, you are probably going to hate latex/acrylic.

If it were me and I had a house with mostly oil trim then that is what I would stick with. For a lot of people that is not an option. If you must make the switch to a waterborne or waterbased product you really should prime it. My first recommendation would be an oil primer. My second would be Zinsser 123.