Benjamin Moore VS PPG/Pittsburgh - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Benjamin Moore VS PPG/Pittsburgh

I am planning on doing some interior painting in my new (to me) home soon. After learning my lesson with H Depot & Lowe's paint and reading how so many pro's go with Benjamin Moore and nothing else I made up my mind - that was the band I going to use. Case closed..

But of course - a speciality paint store has just opened in my town. I haven't been inside as of yet but the sign on the outside says they sell PPG/Pittsburgh Paints.

- Are PPG/Pittsburgh two different brands or any they somehow related?
- How do these brands compare to B Moore?
- From what you guys have seen in your area - any cost savings going with PG/Pittsburgh brand vs Benjamin Moore.

Thanks!

Advertisement

dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304

PPG is the parent company of Pittsburgh Paints........PPG stands for Pittsburgh Paint and Glass. Many years ago PPG paints were very well-respected.......they still are to an extent. I believe the paint line has been sold and resold over the years so quality has suffered to a degree. I have used it with decent results.......nothing to write home about. I am a Sherwin-Williams loyalist mainly because we don't have a Benny Moore dealer nearby. Benny Moore is great paint, I can't argue that, but, many of the SW paints are just as good. I personally prefer their SuperPaint line because it's reasonably priced and a very workmanlike paint product.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

PPG has some good products. I use them all the time. BM might be better but they are way more expensive.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,692

PPG is not readily available where I am but from past experience it was a good paint. And I have heard really good reviews for their breakthrough line.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304

http://www.ppgac.com

Some of PPG's paint offerings........Granddistinction, Speedhide, Manor Hall.........just avoid their Olympic paint line at Lowe's.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
http://www.ppgac.com

Some of PPG's paint offerings........Granddistinction, Speedhide, Manor Hall.........just avoid their Olympic paint line at Lowe's.

That Grand Distinction can is nice, wish we had a Menard's around here.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey dschribs,

When every other paint manufacture did their best to work with the painting contractor and solicit their business, Benjamin Moore did an end run around the contractors and actively solicited the interior decorators with presentation materials and a very impressive display of professionalism . If you have enough money to hire a decorator then you’re most likely willing to follow what they recommend and that means using BM paint if they recommend it. The painting contractors had no alternative but to follow what the decorator demanded. It was a brilliant marketing strategy and still is. There are many manufactures that make a far superior product compared to BM.

Bare with me for a moment. One day a builder asked me to bid his work and took me to a just completed project. He told me he only uses BM paint and I explained to that I don’t. Recommending other companies I felt were superior to BM. When we walked into his newly completed home the homeowner abruptly stated to the builder that whenever she tried to wash a mark off of the walls the paint would also wash off. I just grinned and said no more.

PPG, like Sherwin-Williams makes an excellent line of paint and also makes what we call a production line of paint. Their “Manor Hall” line in my opinion is unmatched in both durability and ease of use. You would have to go a long way to find a better product, however be prepared to pay for TRUE quality.

I’m sure others may disagree with me, but I can only speak from my own experience.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-28-2013), ToolSeeker (03-01-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 564

I've had great luck with C2. I converted a painter that used BM to this product. Great coverage and very durable.

http://www.c2paint.com/
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I personally prefer their SuperPaint line because it's reasonably priced and a very workmanlike paint product.
Have you tried Emerald yet by the way? (It's kind of interesting because at SW they told me Emerald was the only zero-VOC paint with zero-VOC pigments, and at BM they told me the same thing about their Aura.)

Last edited by jeffnc; 02-28-2013 at 07:56 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 512

i've used pittsburgh paint quite a bit. their premium gold ceiling paint is one of the best ceiling paints out there. i've used the pure performance and i find it is the best paint for the price. There are better quality paints but for the price you cant beat it. i find its a bit more runnier and doesnt cover as good but for half the price you cant really go wrong. i painted my own house with it and im quite happy.
i find ben moore is really thick and goopy and really dont like it.
my favorite paint thats a bit more money is dulux paints

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote