Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Benjamin Moore paint over Behr for trim

hi all,

I've recently started painting my pre-primed baseboards and casings.
my brother in law gave me a new gallon of Behr he had left over from his trim job. I'm not happy with the results from the Behr paint as it goes on thick and dries so fast that it gets sticky when i go over it.
my question is can I get a better quality paint such as benjamin Moore and just apply over the Behr? will it help at all or is too late to fix? I have two coats of Behr on all my doors and windows and three coats on one door. I haven't started the baseboards yet.

thanks for any info you can give me

Scott

scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

When you say - 'will it help at all, or is it too late to fix?' - help what? fix what, exactly?

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Personally, I would just finish up with the Behr. Paint takes a month to cure properly and putting primer and a different brand on top of what you don't like is possibly gonna produce more problems than it solves. Never been a fan of Behr but in this case I would stay the course.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

I know the stuff you're talking about... It's pretty thick I agree, but IME the results are pretty good with 2 coats. I do find that it helps to apply it using as large of a brush as possible (to keep the # of strokes down) and to use a quality synthetic brush as well.

I'm confused about your question though. Did you apply the second coat while the first coat was still sticky and now you've got a bad texture? What exactly is wrong with the "results" of the Behr paint?

If the issue is that the texture is bad then infortunately you will need to sand it smooth first (give it a few days to cure) and then you should be able to re-prime/paint with whatever you want. If the surface is smooth, but you're not happy with the color/sheen/etc. then you should be able to give it a light sanding (to scuff up the gloss) and put on whatever you want...
ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

I agree that is sounds more like your inexperience using it than the product.
And BTW- the top of the line BM paint Aura- dries extremely fast and takes a bit of know how to get it to work for you.
My suggestion- add just a splash of water to loosen it up and make it more workable. then learn how to put it on with just a few strokes and then leave it. Overworking most modern acrylic paints is a no no.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I agree that is sounds more like your inexperience using it than the product.
And BTW- the top of the line BM paint Aura- dries extremely fast and takes a bit of know how to get it to work for you.
My suggestion- add just a splash of water to loosen it up and make it more workable. then learn how to put it on with just a few strokes and then leave it. Overworking most modern acrylic paints is a no no.
I'm inexperienced for sure. how much water do you recommend?

I guess I'm just overworking the paint. also I'm using a roller. I tried one door with a brush and the results were disastrous. streaks everywhere

I see painters all the time at job sites ( electrician) and it looks so easy.

thanks again
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Go to You Tube and put in the search Painting a door.
Not all of them are good - so watch a few to get the general picture.
Very hard to explain in words, watching will help.
As far as how much water- just put it in your cut bucket not the whole supply.
And by just a splash - I mean very little to say 2 cups of paint. All you want to do is make it not quite as thick to spread easier. too much and it doesnt work or perform right.
It is another experience thing- no exact answer.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Need a good sash and trim brush to start. Expect to pay $15-20 for a nice angled one. 2.5-3" were the sizes I used most. A good brush, taken care of, will last a long time.

You cannot really "fix" applied primer or paint from the top down. Your adhesion for everything is ultimately only as good as the bottom layer.

As mentioned, semi-gloss does take 30 days to cure so be patient to see what you really have.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

thanks for all the input. I should've come here before jumping into it and listening to the home depot expert.

i was going to use a 1.5" purdy brush for the top of my 1/2" baseboards and roll the front of them with a 4" roller.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
thanks for all the input. I should've come here before jumping into it and listening to the home depot expert.

i was going to use a 1.5" purdy brush for the top of my 1/2" baseboards and roll the front of them with a 4" roller.

here you go

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
I think you will find a 1.5" sash brush will not hold enough paint. With a little practice you will be able to handle that top surface with the edge of a larger brush. You can almost pinstripe with a good brush.

And don't worry if you get some trim paint on the walls so long as you have wall color for touch up. It is very easy to cut the wall color in to the trim.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote