Benjamin Moore Natura - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Benjamin Moore Natura

Has anyone had experience with Benjamin Moore's Natura Flat Paint? I've been using their Aura (Matte finish) since it came out and have been very pleased with it, but it has a slight sheen. I now have a to paint a room in which the walls are in terrible shape. I'm willing to do some work on them, but short of skim coating the entire room, enough imperfections will remain that a flatter paint would be helpful.

Advertisement

aquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Benjamin Moore Natura

I was told by a sales rep that Natura is not doing so well, in least in my market. The Regal Flat also has a slight angular sheen, and it used to be called Wall Satin. You might consider the Ben or Super Spec lines. I've worked with both with great results.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Benjamin Moore Natura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I was told by a sales rep that Natura is not doing so well, in least in my market. The Regal Flat also has a slight angular sheen, and it used to be called Wall Satin. You might consider the Ben or Super Spec lines. I've worked with both with great results.
Agreed, the Natura will have a slight sheen. Ben Flat would be a good low VOC alternative. If you want a true 0 VOC, Eco Spec Flat would be the choice.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCpaint1 For This Useful Post:
aquint (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Benjamin Moore Natura

Thanks for the Natura info. Sounds like not the way to go. If no/low VOC wasn't an issue, how about either Pratt Lambert or California paints? Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Benjamin Moore Natura

Don't have experience with California and experience with P&L is dated. I did have great results with P&L back when and used quite a bit of it, it's a good product. It's just not readily available here any longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
aquint (03-10-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Benjamin Moore Natura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Don't have experience with California and experience with P&L is dated. I did have great results with P&L back when and used quite a bit of it, it's a good product. It's just not readily available here any longer.
P&L is a product of Sherwin Williams. Almost all of the P&L products cross over into the SW lines, meaning that they're the same. P&L Porcelain is one exception, and SW Duration is exclusive to SW.

If VOC's are the concern, anything ( from most manufacturers ) that claims 0 or low VOC, is really gray area. The paint itself may be 0-low VOC but the colorants arent. Not a big deal really in lighter colors, but darker colors the VOC content really starts to add up.

As of now. Benjamin Moore is one of a handful of manufacturers offering 0 VOC colorants. So the 0-low VOC paints dont have any extra VOC added when tinting.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCpaint1 For This Useful Post:
aquint (03-12-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
Thumbs down

Benjamin Moore Natura

[quote=jsheridan;606720]Don't have experience with California

Overpriced. Quality is questionable until you get into the top line (2010 Super Scrub). Don't believe Consumer Reports as they don't test against other major manufacturers for the most part. Mostly hardware store brands (Ace, Behr, etc.).
kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

Benjamin Moore Natura

Thanks. I thought of California paint because I've been using their flat exterior paint and have been pleased with how it applies and how it holds up. I use it on trim, because no-sheen paint is a blessing when you live in an 85 year old house where nobody cared about prep and the surfaces are beyond sanding. There's a limit to how much paint you can burn off in any one season! Interesting to hear their interior paint doesn't follow suit.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

Benjamin Moore Natura

Every paint brand has their specific strenghts and weaknesses, in general, and in their various lines. People ask me what brand of paint I use, I tell them it depends on the job and what I need it to do. And, a lot of it has to do with what the customer expects and what they're willing to pay for the job. If the job requires a lot of coverage, "hide", I might use an MAB product, which I feel does that job best. If it's a fancy, formal living room I'll use either the Regal or Aura finish from BM, because I think it has what I call a "museum quality" look to the finish. If the customer wants a nice finish and will pay for it, I'll use BM waterborne flat on the ceiling. If it doesn't matter, I'll use the Super Spec Flat. As said, depends on the job I need it to do. A basic misconception on the part of many non-pros, and some pros, is that paint is paint. It's not.

Advertisement

Last edited by jsheridan; 03-13-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling