Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Primer: 023 or 046?

Hi There!!

I was leaning towards Promar 200 last week as my primer of choice for several projects in my house. After a little more reading, it seems like I can get a very similar quality, if not equal, going with the Fresh Start series from BM, and there is a BM store a few streets away from me where as the SW stores are not as readily available.

I went to a local BM store and was about to buy the Fresh Start but I saw 2 cans, one # 23 which is an all purpose primer and the # 46 which is a superior primer. When I asked the sales person for the difference, they actually didn't know, nice eh! They do know though that #46 is $2.00 more per gallon lol. I called the BM 800 number for info, the girl that answered told me I "should" buy # 46 but couldn't give me a real good reason, she just said it's better. I read that it's twice as good as using # 23 hence why they doubled the number....

The primer I require is for the following:

- I'm replacing all the drywall in all bedrooms on the 4 side walls therefore I need to cover all my taping and mudding / plaster and fresh drywall sheets
- I'm leaving all ceilings and closest as is with previously painted latex, they are not really stained, the closets’ are a bit rough though with some black marks (doesn't look like marker)
- For the moment, I don't see any water stains, but if there are, they are going to be really small.
- Only interior work, no exterior
- Would like to primer MDF mouldings should I need to
- May have a window apron that is solid wood but only 1 small piece per room

That is the extent of my project.

For all those who use, prefer, suggest or enjoy using Fresh Start primer for similar type jobs as above, which is the one you buy and why? I would be buying the White color in both, don't require the deep base.

Thanks in advance, I will make a seperate post regarding some sanding questions.

Have a great day!!
Attached Thumbnails
Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Primer: 023 or 046?-primer.jpg  

Last edited by Dreams; 02-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trying to do a little research on this- it looks like it is the next stage in development- lower VOC's, uses the gennex tint system if tinted, etc.
My guess is this will eventually replace the 23. As far as performance differences- can't say-

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

For what you are doing , the original( green can) is fine
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Yes, All-purpose will be fine for what you are doing. But The "Superior" sounds pretty good according to the label. if its just $2 more, and you get better performance, its worth it.

Sometimes its best not to try and understand the intricacies of product codes.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Th 046 is Not only a low VOC primer, but will block stains better than the 023. Personally, I like Aqua lock Bette than both but any of them will be fine for what you are doing.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
Th 046 is Not only a low VOC primer, but will block stains better than the 023. Personally, I like Aqua lock Bette than both but any of them will be fine for what you are doing.
Just curious as to why you prefer the Aqua Lock?
One BM store that I went to told me not to buy the Fresh Starts 023 or 046, she said I needed Aqua Lock instead. After speaking to Head Office and another store, I understood that Aqua Lock is a mid range product compared to high end top quality Fresh Start. I was told that Super Spec is contractor grade cheaper stuff, then Aqua Lock then Fresh Start. Whatever Super Spec and Aqua Lock can do, Fresh Start can do the same and probably better.

The 046 when looking at the details call it a primer sealer as well.

Just looking to hear the other side and reasons why this makes a good primer sealer? Never heard of anyone who actually used it before?

Look forward to your comments!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Is VOC for the smell or chemicals (or both?)

My wife is 6 months pregnant and my 2 year old is also in the house, would a lower VOC be something I should be looking at, hence the 046 version?

Last question, will Fresh Start stick to oil paint? I removed the old light fixtures tonight and there were some spots on the ceiling which weren't painted, they were a high gloss finish and pretty slick. The rest of the ceiling seems to have been covered in primer half a** and you can see through a little. If it was to be oil, am I going to run into any problems?

Last edited by Dreams; 02-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
Is VOC for the smell or chemicals (or both?)

My wife is 6 months pregnant and my 2 year old is also in the house, would a lower VOC be something I should be looking at, hence the 046 version?

Last question, will Fresh Start stick to oil paint? I removed the old light fixtures tonight and there were some spots on the ceiling which weren't painted, they were a high gloss finish and pretty slick. The rest of the ceiling seems to have been covered in primer half a** and you can see through a little. If it was to be oil, am I going to run into any problems?

1) yes
2) no

lower voc's would be a + in this case

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote