Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Share |

Benjamin Moore: "Do Not Apply to Bare Wood"

I have to paint a staircase of bare wood. Thinking of using Moore's Latex Floor & Patio Enamel 122.

However, the label says, "Do not apply to bare wood." Reinforcing the point, the label goes on to say that when used on wood, the product is intended for "previously finished" surfaces.

So I checked the section of the label about primers. Regarding wood, the section discusses only previously finished surfaces, saying that they need no primer. There is no instruction on what to do if the surface is bare wood.

Next I asked at a specialty paint store, a Benjamin Moore "Signature Store." The clerks got together and decided the following:

(1) There is, in general, no such thing as a primer for floors. All ordinary primers lack the elastic agent found in floor paint that keeps the paint from cracking when people walk on it. (This theory is supported by the Zinsser primers: all of them that I checked say that they're not to be used on floors.)

(2) Therefore, when painting a bare wood floor with Moore's Latex Floor & Patio Enamel 122, apply directly to the wood, in violation of the label. It might be advisable to thin the first coat.

Do this make sense to any of you with relevant knowledge?

Psoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #2

The reason the 122 product line says "do not apply to bare wood" is because it is a latex product and it will raise the grain of bare wood. That leaves you with two options, either apply an oil based primer such as their 024 fresh start - which even though is not listed for floors will work fine - or lightly sand after your first coat of 122. Personally I would rather simply give a light sanding. The 122 line has excellent durability and adhesion, they should elaborate on the label about why they say not to apply on bare wood however. Make sure to apply two THIN coats and you will have a really nice, strong finish. By the way, this product just became available in what they call a "4b" or ultra base - so you can now get dark colors custom made in this line.

good luck!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Thinning the first coat of a floor paint was the proper application for most oil based floor finishes. This way they would act as their own primer. The first coat would penetrate deeper and the second would build the film. Every acrylic floor product I've seen says to never thin the paint.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #4

just to clarify - when I suggested you apply two thin coats I did not mean for you to actually thin the product - I just meant don't put it on heavy.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psoint
Do this make sense to any of you with relevant knowledge?
No, but only because I called the BM tech dept. when faced with a similar project (I'd used the 122 extensively before, but only on cement and previously painted wood)

According to the BM Tech Dept., one should apply a coat of Alkyd Fresh Start 024 to bare wood, then coat with Latex Floor & Patio Enamel 122.
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote