Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

Benjamin Moore Aura - Blotchy Even After 4 Coats

I am painting the entire interior of my house. The plan was to use Aura eggshell finish due to being a highly regarded paint. I started on two rooms and I am not liking the results. The girl's room is pink and the master bedroom is a pale yellow. All rooms were primed about two weeks ago.

After the first coat the sheen looked horrible. It was very blotchy with streaks that were shinier than other parts and obvious roller marks even though I was very careful to keep a wet edge and not "squeeze" the paint out of the roller. For the initial coat I used a BM Aura roller cover. At first I thought perhaps my technique or roller cover was failing, so I got some 3/8 knap Purdy White Dove roller covers and had at it again. I worked double-time speed to make sure I had an absolutely wet edge at all times. I made sure not to press on the roller any harder than was required to make it roll. Same results.

After all that, I tried some BM Extender. I added a shot glass to a fresh gallon and had at it with a new Purdy roller cover. Still the same result.

I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong. I've never had this much trouble with a paint in my life. Even before I knew better and bought the cheapest stuff I could find at Home Depot, it never looked this bad.

I know Aura can't be this terrible or nobody would use it, but I can't see what I might be doing wrong. Can anybody provide an assist?

BobSmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Your blotchy results may be a direct result of not painting soon enough. I recently discussed a PVA primer in my blog. Stating that after priming, you need to apply your top coat within 2 days to ensure the quality of your priming agent. The overall quality of your primer may be an issue as well. I have found that when it comes to painting, you really do get what you pay for. Everything from the primer and paint, right down to the roller you use. I hope this information helps you. Feel free to check out my blog. We offer tone of painting tips.

DesignDuoBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

I have never actually had a problem with not painting over a primer within two weeks. But i don't use a pva either, i would use a primer /sealer to go to an eggshell finish.
I otherwise don't have a good idea of what caused this.
I have used Aura very many times, and it can be tricky to use because it dries so fast- so perhaps your blotchiness is going back into a half set up area. But sounds like you are aware of this potential problem.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I have never actually had a problem with not painting over a primer within two weeks. But i don't use a pva either, i would use a primer /sealer to go to an eggshell finish.
I otherwise don't have a good idea of what caused this.
I have used Aura very many times, and it can be tricky to use because it dries so fast- so perhaps your blotchiness is going back into a half set up area. But sounds like you are aware of this potential problem.
Yeah, I made absolutely sure never to go back over an area. I just don't get it. Even if the primer was at fault, I'd think a few coats of Aura underneath would allow a good finish. I'm not even sure what to do. This is an eggshell finish, but I can't tell the difference between it and any semi-gloss I've ever used in the past. The sheen looks about the same to me. I was hoping it would look almost flat.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Try a 1/2 inch cover.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Sheens in aura from least to most

matte, eggshell, satin ,semigloss

the egg is definitively not going to be almost flat. The matte is really a low sheen eggshell., and might be what you thought you we're getting.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
ltd

ok im not familair with benny moore,but mabey check this out.ask paint store if your paint was mixed in the right base. i know there's some benny guys around here. mabey they got an idea

Last edited by ltd; 08-29-2011 at 08:34 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
ok im not familair with benny moore,but mabey check this out.ask paint store if your paint was mixed in the right base. i know there's some benny guys around here. mabey they got an idea
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
John Doe

This just goes to show you that ANY paint can have problems.

In my opinion, the pros always recommend the more expensive paints. It's Not always that they work better, but for a pro they have to use a good name brand paint so that if anything goes wrong they're covered. It's a liability issue really.

A DIY can get away with a less than perfect job because they're doing it themselves. If you hire a company, your expectations are different.

As a contractor, I can't go to your house and do a less than stellar job and charge you money for it. As a homeowner I can afford to make a few mistakes. This is why pros will always stand by their "pro paints"..that--and because of their good discounts.

Sorry you spent so much money and got bad results. It can happen with any paint. I have good and bad stories from LOTS of paint brands...

Just keepin' it real.
HomesteadHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Home- I actually use good paints because they're better, more consistent, and the guy at the paint store ( at least my stores) didn't wander over from flooring.
All good reasons to use quality material.
So I am surprised at this result with Aura . I use it often- it has a leaning curve- but one you get it it will do wonders.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #11

I think I know what's happened. After I painted the living room I noticed that it dried flawless after the first coat. That's when I realized that the primer had been applied differently in the living room. I now believe I'm actually seeing roller marks/texture in the primer undercoat. I am going to do a test wall with a coat of Zinsser 123 and repaint with Aura. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

[QUOTE=HomesteadHero;719567]This just goes to show you that ANY paint can have problems.

In my opinion, the pros always recommend the more expensive paints. It's Not always that they work better, but for a pro they have to use a good name brand paint so that if anything goes wrong they're covered. It's a liability issue really.

A DIY can get away with a less than perfect job because they're doing it themselves. If you hire a company, your expectations are different.

As a contractor, I can't go to your house and do a less than stellar job and charge you money for it. As a homeowner I can afford to make a few mistakes. This is why pros will always stand by their "pro paints"..that--and because of their good discounts.

I disagree. I use high end quality paints with quality binders, because its my reputation and we paint with pride. There is a differance in paint quality and a differance in the quality and amount of binders in paint. Some painters don't care or understand the differances between differant paints. It has nothing to do with a discount. It has nothing to do with a discount, especially when I pass that discount to the client. Better quality paint applies easier, it covers easier, it will last longer, it won't burnish or fade like cheaper paint and is washable.
housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

[quote=housepaintingny;722372][quote=HomesteadHero;719567]This just goes to show you that ANY paint can have problems.

I disagree. I use high end quality paints with quality binders, because its my reputation and we paint with pride. There is a differance in paint quality and a differance in the quality and amount of binders in paint. Some painters don't care or understand the differances between differant paints. It has nothing to do with a discount. It has nothing to do with a discount, especially when I pass that discount to the client. Better quality paint applies easier, it covers easier, it will last longer, it won't burnish or fade like cheaper paint and is washable.[/quote]

Right on
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

[QUOTE=chrisn;722573][quote=housepaintingny;722372]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesteadHero View Post
This just goes to show you that ANY paint can have problems.

I disagree. I use high end quality paints with quality binders, because its my reputation and we paint with pride. There is a differance in paint quality and a differance in the quality and amount of binders in paint. Some painters don't care or understand the differances between differant paints. It has nothing to do with a discount. It has nothing to do with a discount, especially when I pass that discount to the client. Better quality paint applies easier, it covers easier, it will last longer, it won't burnish or fade like cheaper paint and is washable.[/quote]

Right on
Thank you. I don't know any painting contractors that make money off of materials. Some people are mis-informed or maybee just hacks.

housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote